• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The DCC RPG fills the OSR stomach, but there's still a vacant spot to fill.

R

RevTurkey

Surely the rate the game ramps up the epic nature of play is more important than some level cap? A level 30 in one game might be similar in play to a level 10 in another if the progression is paced differently?

Anyway...in my opinion (as if that matters)

If you want Races and Classes to choose...Castles & Crusades is fabulous.

If you don't have a problem with Race as Class then DCC RPG is truly awesome!

These two, for me are (nostalgia aside) the best versions of Dungeons & Dragons. Please don't shoot me if you like 1,2,3,3.5,3.75 or 4th edition better.

All these games can be a lot of fun but my advice...

Go buy DCC RPG and show some support for a great new game :D

Treebore

First Post
I was under the impression that C&C went beyond level 10. That is my objective, a system that has a maximum level of no more than level 10.

You can go above level 10, but the written rules in the PH only support up to level 12. Your told XP requirements beyond that, but to see what the class abilities are you now have to buy the CKG, or make up your own like I did, since my game progressed beyond 12th level years ago.

On the other hand, C&C is easy to cap at 10th level. Just say that is where your game caps out. No one, PC or NPC is above 10th level, done.

Treebore

First Post
For the record, I don't like level caps either. If I stuck level caps on my gaming because of what I expected to happen over the last 27 years, a few games would have never gone where they did, let alone last as long as they did.

So I say go with level 20, or even 30, or even 100 caps. IF you end before level 11, fine. IF your game and group lasts long enough to go to some point beyond level 10, so much the better.

The only reason I bought into the DCC RPG even with its level caps is because I see it looking pretty easy to develop it past that cap if I ever need to, and I bet Joe is going to eventually offer a supplement to take it past level 10 as well.

Treebore

First Post
HAve you gotten your print copy yet? Mine arrived a couple of days ago. Even though I new the page count I was still shocked at how thick the book is.

dm4hire

Explorer
I'm not sure. I've been in the hospital and the shipping address I used was for my mother's house which I haven't gotten a chance to get down there to check yet. I'm hoping, but since I'm rereading portions of the PDF now it's not like I'm in a rush to get it.

Thanks though for answering the C&C question. I use to own it quite a long time ago but during one of my purges it got carted off to Half Price Books. Mainly because I was planning on buying an updated copy and never got around to it. Troll Lord tends to revise their books a lot which is a down side to it in my opinion as I want my books to last more than a couple of years. Nothing against the game, as it read straight forward and easy to follow, just prefer core systems which hang around unchanged for awhile. Anyway I'm going to start a different thread relating to my time restrained player rant portion of my OP, which will address an idea I've come up with to fill that need, so as not to derail my intention of this thread.

Treebore

First Post
Well, the only printing that saw actual rules changes was the 4th printing. A 5th printing is in the works, haven't heard if there are going to be new rules changes, but I have been told they are not going to change the page count, but will be addressing errata and other errors. So sounds like no rules changes, or at least nothing major. Maybe they will tweak the grappling rules yet again?

They are also doing a Kickstarter for it so they can make it full color throughout and keep the price at $25.

Remove ads