• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Elementalists (FULL)

tglassy

Adventurer
I don't think I'd make it too complicated. Think America/Brittain, mid 1800s. Some railroads, but not one that stretches the continent yet. No cars. Sailing ships are still more numerous than steam boats, cause of price. Probably no telegraph or anything like it. Cities are a little bigger, manufacturing has just started becoming a thing. There are still villages and towns with little to no technology. Electricity is being played with, but not much has come from it.

If I do this, I may do a very Harry Dresden thing. i may make magic and technology incompatible. The more advanced the tech, the more magic disrupts it. Make it even more about the degradation of magic as people turn more and more to technology instead. Plus, it gives a limitation to magic that isn't in other settings.

And wouldn't it be odd that the one thing that can save the world is the one thing the world seems intent on leaving behind? (elemental magic)

It would also make sense seeing as many people are turning away from religion during this time.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Did you say Steampunk?? I'm in lloovveeeeee!!!!!!!!

I'm happy with the setting change, probably even more excited than before.

Oh and I punched Fenris for you. You're welcome.

Sent from my iPad using EN World mobile app

Queenie

Queen of Everything
It does sound like it'd be a lot of work for you to lay out everything that is working / not working / in existence. In the other game I mentioned earlier - actually it may have been the other thread the alternate earth Wild West game - history advanced a little sooner than on our timeline, because of magic. So you'd have to decide if magic has had that type of effect on technology, etc.

We can always figure out what is working as we go.

I'm still waaayyyy into this idea. Love it.

Sent from my iPad using EN World mobile app

tglassy

Adventurer
I sort of have a thing with systems and world building. I find it pretty easy to keep things in my head.

I will say that I'm going to try to cut off the extra features at this point. Sometimes I continue to tweak something until it's so ungodly complicated no one else can follow it. I don't want that to happen here. I just needed to figure out the time period I was going to go with, and we've all played quite enough medieval time periods, i think. I've always wondered why tech didn't advance in other settings when magic was so plentiful. Well, in my setting, it's because magic disrupts tech, so tech couldn't advance until magic was minimized.

And by my count, I've got one player in love and another who wants me to have their children. Does that mean I'm doing something right, or very very wrong?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads