• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Elsir War: Lair of the Ghostlord (FR) (Recruiting 2/20/07 - 2/28/07)

hafrogman

Adventurer
Face: My character is a little bit intimdatey and a little bit gather informationy but not at all diplomacy-y.

Rogue: Got the scouty, but not the trappy or locky.

For meeting favored class/race for the bonus feat, does that have to be at level 1? i.e. if human fighter were a combo, I'd still be out as my first level is in paragon?

Rystil Arden

First Post
Ooo, another question--do we start off with exactly the XP to be level 8, or can we have a number that is perhaps a bit more in case we want to spend some XP on stuff. If not, what happens if we want to craft some wondrous items?

GwydapLlew

First Post
As I stated upthread, having the standard 4 types is never necessary in my games; I'm a fan of nonstandard parties, but they have their own unique challenges.:)

As for the Regional Feat, here's how it works:
- You can only take a Regional Feat at 1st level.
- If you choose a race and class that are favored for that region, I allow you to take one of the Regional Feats for free.
- Since you can only take a Regional Feat at 1st level, your 1st level needs to be in a favored class for that region.
- Since the only classes that are considered 'favored' are core base classes, taking Archivist or Human Paragon as your 1st level means you don't get the Feat for free, but you can still take it as one of your 1st level Feats.

It's designed to reward characters that fit the archetype of the region, not to punish non-standard characters.

Rystil Arden

First Post
So if I played, for instance, a Cloistered Cleric in a region with Cleric on its list, I would get the feat, right? Since CC is just as good as Archivist, I'm probably intentionally gimping myself over my biased love of the Archivist, but I think it fits the concept better.

GwydapLlew

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Ooo, another question--do we start off with exactly the XP to be level 8, or can we have a number that is perhaps a bit more in case we want to spend some XP on stuff. If not, what happens if we want to craft some wondrous items?

You start with the minimum required to be that level, but I allow characters to spend XP even if it reduces their total below the minimum required. This means you are effectively retarding your growth past that level to get more toys, but I've found that it generally balances out in the end.

I've yet to see anyone blow through their XP until they are at 0, so it's not a problem in my eyes. That being said, remember that the market cost of any one item cannot exceed half your starting gold, not the creation cost, so you can have a lot more lower-level items, but it doesn't allow you to bust out with several mid-level items.

GwydapLlew

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
So if I played, for instance, a Cloistered Cleric in a region with Cleric on its list, I would get the feat, right? Since CC is just as good as Archivist, I'm probably intentionally gimping myself over my biased love of the Archivist, but I think it fits the concept better.

Precisely. A Cloistered Cleric is a variant of the Cleric class, so it's good-to-go in that situation (so a female drow Cloistered Cleric in the Underdark Region would get a free Regional Feat, but a female drow Favored Soul wouldn't.)

Rystil Arden

First Post
GwydapLlew said:
You start with the minimum required to be that level, but I allow characters to spend XP even if it reduces their total below the minimum required. This means you are effectively retarding your growth past that level to get more toys, but I've found that it generally balances out in the end.

I've yet to see anyone blow through their XP until they are at 0, so it's not a problem in my eyes. That being said, remember that the market cost of any one item cannot exceed half your starting gold, not the creation cost, so you can have a lot more lower-level items, but it doesn't allow you to bust out with several mid-level items.
Okay, okay. No +4 stat items :p

It's fairly commonly allowable to swap items to different slots if you respect the chakra affinities (for instance, moving Con to a belt, etc). Will that be okay?

GwydapLlew

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Okay, okay. No +4 stat items :p

It's fairly commonly allowable to swap items to different slots if you respect the chakra affinities (for instance, moving Con to a belt, etc). Will that be okay?

I'm flexible in regards to customizing magical items. If all you are doing is moving it to a different 'slot location,' there is no problem. If you are combining multiple items into one, or customizing further than that, I need to approve it. :)

In other words, a Belt of Health +2 is fine; a Belt of Strength +2 and Health +2 needs to be approved by me.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Alright, cool. All I'll be doing is moving. So far, my preliminary purchase plans are mostly based similarly to stuff my Shackled City Archivist has, except that she has Charisma boosters because she had enough Point Buy to also grab some Charisma.

DrZombie

First Post
Hi there. Looks like you could use a rogue in the party, and some additional muscle. I'll try to whip up a rogue/fighter this afternoon, if that's allright.

Edit : rereading this thread, i noticed you aren't really looking for a classical party. But I still like playing a rogue :D . Another possibility is a psion, 'though i don't know how they fit in FR.

Drinair Leroth does not consider himself an evil man. He is a faithfull servant of his God. All things will die. Sometimes it is necessary for him to speed things up, to help people on their way to the beyond, to whatever judgement awaits them. He is not a psychopathic killer, he does not kill at random, and he doesn't take pleasure in his work. It is a job that needs to be done, like collecting the garbage, or sweeping the streets. He takes pride in the fact that he can kill with minimal amounts of pain, quietly and without causing to much fuss. He will do whatever the church wants of him, for they took care of him when he lost his parents and wandered the streets as a child. They gave him meaning in his life when all was lost, fed him and taught him all he knows. He only wishes to repay that kindness as good as he is able.

Last edited:

Remove ads