The ENWorld Electric Bard Gear (Etc) Thread

R_J_K75

Legend
Never heard of those pick ups!
Me either. I'm going to assume they are made by Guild exclusively. As this is a Kim Thayil signature, I'm pretty sure all of his guitars are stock and not modified, so I think that's a safe assumption. I was going to buy a S-100 Polara a few years back but I'm glad I waited, and they came out with this model. I've always been a big Soundgarden fan and Thayils guitar playing and style. I think this article sums it up pretty well.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Me either. I'm going to assume they are made by Guild exclusively. As this is a Kim Thayil signature, I'm pretty sure all of his guitars are stock and not modified, so I think that's a safe assumption. I was going to buy a S-100 Polara a few years back but I'm glad I waited, and they came out with this model. I've always been a big Soundgarden fan and Thayils guitar playing and style. I think this article sums it up pretty well.
I’m a big Soundgarden/Thayil fan as well, and that Guild has been on my radar since it was announced. Congratulations!

I’m probably not getting any guitars this year, but I have a list of pedals that are likely buys for 2024, starting with a Boss RC-10R Looper.

R_J_K75

Legend
I’m a big Soundgarden/Thayil fan as well, and that Guild has been on my radar since it was announced. Congratulations!
Same here its been sitting in my wish list since it became available for pre-order. I cant remember where I saw or read it but Kim explains why he eventually settled on the S-100, which was because it was practical. It may be in the video below. I owned one of the Guild S-300D's in the 90s and it had a great Sabbath/Soundgarden sound. When I saw them in Toronto in 2010 he was playing one for some songs. You can still find them on Reverb for varying prices depending on condition and model. Wish I had kept that one. That video is pretty long but worth watching.
I’m probably not getting any guitars this year, but I have a list of pedals that are likely buys for 2024, starting with a Boss RC-10R Looper.
This will probably be the last guitar I buy for a while. I'm running out of room, between guitars, amps and pedals the space I can actually sit and play keeps shrinking. I have a Digitech trio+. Its alot of pedal, almost too much, the manual is huge and it definitely takes alot of time to learn all its features. They've really gone up in price though since I got mine. The Boss one you are looking at seems pretty comparable to the Digitech. I have bad back so I can only play for so long at any given time so I'm starting to try and get away from the more complicated pedals and started putting together a smaller more simplified plug-n-play pedal board.

R_J_K75

Legend
Yeah, I did a lot of experimenting during COVID for various reasons: like recording everyone's parts and assembling them to get a full song (because people weren't allowed to get together). I did it with a couple bands and some choirs. Most people sending me their footage via smartphone video. Audio quality varied. It was fun but frustrating as well. I always recorded my stuff from a feed straight off the board. It was always super clean but I always felt like I needed to add effects to pull in ambient sound. Free Audacity is not the way to go if you want to record.

I also help out a local church with their weekly stream (for the shut-ins) but I'm more of an audio guy and less of a computer/recording guy. I prefer mixing live venues and I'm very much a hobbiest even at that.

Anyways, here's my jamming/hang-out space:View attachment 290342
Nice space!!!

R_J_K75

Legend
I’d imagine it was Keith Richards.
If I responded to this already Im sorry but its widely debated, some say its Jimmy Page, some say its the guitarist from Vanilla Fudge, lots of speculation and no confirmation. I agree they were all probably so worked up they don't even remember who it was so all signs point to Keef. Side note, My neighbor said to me Monday, "I'd like the Stones if it wasn't for Mick Jagger". I did a 360 Exorcist head spin, WTF? Isn't he the definition of a front man?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Side note, My neighbor said to me Monday, "I'd like the Stones if it wasn't for Mick Jagger". I did a 360 Exorcist head spin, WTF? Isn't he the definition of a front man?
I can understand that. Maybe your neighbor would prefer a different front man, but it’s probable that most people wouldn’t.

But sometimes, a particular person in a band will utterly turn you off, even if they’re arguably one of the key members. I can think of a few bands that I no longer or never listen to whose vocalists just left me cold. None as big as the Stones, though.

R_J_K75

Legend
I can understand that. Maybe your neighbor would prefer a different front man, but it’s probable that most people wouldn’t.

But sometimes, a particular person in a band will utterly turn you off, even if they’re arguably one of the key members. I can think of a few bands that I no longer or never listen to whose vocalists just left me cold. None as big as the Stones, though.
Without Mick there are no Stones. We laughed at him. Speaking of vocalists, my god how much Van Halen changed with Sammy. Eddie went for the synthesizer more.

Remove ads