The First (IC) (d20/3.x D&D)

GlassEye

Adventurer
Not only does the wolf's attack open a serious wound but it drags Angrboda down to the ground. She tries to scramble back and get up and protect herself.

[sblock=OOC]Str check 1d20+5=12; failure :(
move: stand from prone trying to use the tree to give her some cover from wolf 3.
If she makes it this far without getting knocked unconscious/killed then...
standard: move 5 feet between Jaeger & Kaznak (one square south of Jaegar, next to Kaznak)
[/sblock]

Last edited:

rangerjohn

Explorer
OOC:You are right in this case, but the reason he normally would have had two attacks would have been triggering an attack of opportunity. I think I got the timing wrong though, it should have been attack, 5' step, attack. But no worries.

OOC: Apparently, I can't use sblock, I've looked at quotes several times to see how it is done. It doesn't work for me.

Last edited:

Arkhandus

First Post
Wolves, Round 3 Nearly Finished

Angrboda drops to the ground as the wolf yanks on her muscular thigh, then the wolf backs away to relative safety behind a tree. However, as Angrboda tries to stand back up, the other wolf next to her, the one Kaznak just burned but didn't drop, lunges at the giantess during her moment of vulnerability and distraction..... The wolf clamps its jaws on Angrboda's other thigh, pulling her down and drawing more blood. Angrboda loses consciousness from shock and blood loss.

Jaegar howls out "NOOOO!!!!" in shock and rage, rising quickly with the help of his halberd as a lever, then stepping back as he hefts the polearm up, bringing it down on the wolf that just took down his mate. The canine drops with a sickening *CRUNCH* as the halberd's axehead smashes into its back and almost comes out through its belly, before Jaegar wrenches his halberd up and shakes the dying wolf off of his blade. Then he whirls about, looking for more wolves to kill.

The wolf next to Elldar snaps at him, then backs away slightly from Forge, taking cover behind a small tree. Elldar manages to narrowly block the wolf's jaws with his small shield while jerking back, away from the beast. The wolf next to Falryn snaps at the elf, but a little too cautiously, then heads behind a small tree for cover. Falryn has an easier time dodging and deflecting that wolf's bite than Elldar did with the other wolf.

[sblock=OOC]I wonder if you're using a mobile device or something that's interfering with the BB code for spoiler blocks? It's supposed to be (sblock) followed by stuff then ended with (/sblock) but with square brackets instead of parentheses in both cases. (sblock=Title) can be used instead to name the spoiler block, as I always do, but it still always ends with just (/sblock), using square brackets again as already mentioned.

Falryn didn't get an AoO, because both wolves moved through spaces that granted them cover just before they arrived next to Falryn. He just got his one readied-action attack on wolf #4. The black circles on the map indicate spaces with trees that provide cover.

Initiatives:
22 Western Wolves (w3 unconscious and dying, w4 unconscious and dying)
21 Falryn
19 Elldar
13 Northern Wolves (w1 11 dmg, w2 12 dmg)
12 Kaznak
12 Angrboda (13 dmg, -5 hp now, unconscious and dying)
12 Jaegar (4 dmg, 10 hp left)
9 Eastern Wolves (w5 2 dmg, w6 unhurt)
8 Forge
4 Southern Wolf (w7 unhurt)

Angrboda tries to get up from prone while still close to wolf #3, and its attack of opportunity is a natural 20 for 6 damage......she falls unconscious.:eek: The space with the tree in it isn't directly between Angrboda and the wolf, and it's not a huge tree so it doesn't take up the whole space and thus doesn't provide cover for Angrboda's position next to the wolf.....sorry GlassEye. Total defense or a cast-defensively spell would've been safer. :( Or maybe just delaying until after Jaegar's turn, since he has higher HP and AC (14 and 17 respectively, though down to 10 HP now). The group will work out teamwork and tactics over time, though....

Jaegar stands up without an AoO since Angrboda took wolf 3's only AoO for the round, then makes a 5-foot step backward and attacks with his halberd. An 18 to hit, for 13 damage, dropping wolf #3.

Wolf 5 attacks Elldar now that the gnome has revealed his position, while wolf 6 attacks Falryn. Got an 18 to hit Elldar and a 13 versus Falryn, both missing, though that first wolf came awfully close. Wolf 5 and wolf 6 each take a 5-foot step to enter a tree's space for cover.

Forge may take his turn for Round 3 now.[/sblock]

Attachments

• map11-14-09.jpg
    map11-14-09.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Hearing the sounds of batttle all around him starts to confuse the young blacksmith as he has never been in a battle before. As the wolf circles and growls Forge also moves to keep the wolf at bay. It lunges at the young blacksmith and Forge swings wildly missing the wolf again.

[sblock=ooc]
5' step to the right
standard action: attack w5 [/sblock]

Arkhandus

First Post
Wolves, Round 4 Begins

Forge tries another swing at the wolf, but its an awkward and hasty strike.

The southern wolf creeps up and around some trees, behind the other wolf by Falryn and then lunges at the elf! However, the wolf, too, strikes hastily, and Falryn manages to evade.

[sblock=ooc]The southern wolf moves around to the east to arrive next to Falryn while passing through tree-filled spaces, barely managing to avoid an attack of opportunity from Falryn's polearm. Wolf #7 gets a 14 to hit Falryn, missing.

Round 4 begins.

Falryn and Elldar may take their Round 4 turns now. I'll probably update the map again after their turns. I'm assuming Elldar drew his melee weapon last round, after shooting one of the wolves.

I'll post an update for the camp-group and Metliz's and Seshani's little forest-search sometime on Sunday. Maybe just in a little while, maybe much later Sunday. Dunno yet.[/sblock]

Arkhandus

First Post
Wolf Wounded, and Back At Camp...

Farlyn deals a vicious blow to the wolf, but while it staggers and yelps in pain, that wolf remains standing, growling and barking once, weakly.

Seshani follows Metliz for a while, but soon it is time for them to turn around, and they head back to camp with the shiny box Metliz took. Nothing else surprises them today in the woods.

At camp that night, Kessyriss does as Pyre says, walking cautiously into camp towards Hassad. The tiny man with fiery hair floats back towards Pyre, stopping a short distance away from the middle of camp. Tianulien follows him, still tired as her trance was interrupted, but not groggy or cranky like the others might've been. Tianulien carries her rapier, a slender sword designed more for stabbing than for slashing.

"What's that? It looks......funny," the elf says, wrinkling her nose, clearly meaning something other than 'funny'.

Hassad shrugs, and says "So what now?"

The scaly little creature responds "I am kobold. What are you?" as it looks at Tianulien, eyeing the thin sword Tianulien holds lazily. Then his beady little eyes turn to Pyre, and he rasps out "I ssee fire. Come look. Find burning man. Makess me curious. I assk burning one if he teach me ssecret of fire? Burning man point spear at Kessyriss. Don't know why. Kessyriss just curiouss."

[sblock=ooc]Wolf #7 takes 16 damage and is badly injured, but doesn't go down (obviously tougher than the other wolves).

Combat continues once Elldar posts an action.

If Metliz wants to do anything with the box at camp, go ahead. Otherwise, if she just wants to keep it secret for now, Seshani reminds her that they both found it so it belongs to both of them, and she'll want to take a better look at it later.

Also let me know if Metliz has any standing 'orders' or 'requests' not to wake her up in the middle of the night unless it's an emergency. Theris and Seshani have made it clear that they're not to be woken unless necessary, but Tianulien at least doesn't care since she only needs a few hours of rest anyway. If Metliz doesn't mind being woken up for any random thing that happens at night, then Hassad would wake her up as well after Kessyriss' arrival. Otherwise, Metliz will just sit out the kobold-meeting scene while she sleeps.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Theroc

First Post
Pyre's spear lowered now that Tianulien was present with the group. At her question, Pyre's head tilted. "He does not look humorous to me..." He commented, before the Kobold spoke. "He apparently wants me to teach him the secrets of fire. He snuck into the camp despite my watch, and does not understand why I would be displeased with my apparent failure. I am only relieved he does not seem hostile, but do not know precisely how to proceed." The burning man spoke, the uncertainty apparent. "Hassad said the others were not to be disturbed, though I had wanted to consult all present for a concensus, since I do not wish to jeopardize the camp's safety."

Voda Vosa

First Post
Metliz came back to the camp, and trew herself in the grass, inspecting the little box with the last minutes of natural light. After that he fell asleep, deeply.

OOC: She doesn't want to get up in the night.

Remove ads