The Folly of Man: 3.5 D&D Low Level Adventure (FULL)

Mithreander

Explorer
Okay, I've created the Rogue Gallery Thread and the IC thread. Go ahead and feel free to post your character and start playing. The changes for the characters that I have yet to go over can be made during the introduction.

Rogue Gallery
IC Thread

Last edited:

Rayex

First Post
Mithreander said:
Okay, I've created the Rogue Gallery Thread and the IC thread. Go ahead and feel free to post your character and start playing. The changes for the characters that I have yet to go over can be made during the introduction.

Rogue Gallery
IC Thread

No offence to you, but those are the cyberstreet links. These are the EnWorld links:
RG
IC

Mithreander

Explorer
Yup, they sure are... and they are the only ones that I have access to, so if I tie a link in to ENWorld, it will be the cyberstreet address. If you'd like to alter them to the ENWorld address in the future, then please do so.

Thanks.

Mithreander

Explorer
Sorry for the delay. I forgot to mention that I do not post on the weekends, and I only post from work (no home connection to the internet), and I called in on Friday. Hope you can all forgive me!

Mithreander

Explorer
Jolmo, still going over the characters. Your cleric looks fine except for two things: He only gets two of the Domains from his diety, so you'll have to drop one, and Survival is a cross-class skill, so it takes 2 skillpoints per rank, meaning that you would only have 2 ranks in it. So with you +4 bonus, you's have +6. You're everburning bullseye lantern is unorthadox, but exceptable. I'll let you have it though it is not in the SRD. Beyond that, it looks good!

Jolmo

First Post
I thought I only had two domains listed, travel and protection. If a third has snuck in there somewhere, I must simply have missed it so please point out where it is.

Survival becomes a class skill for clerics with the travel domain.

The lantern, um yeah, sorry I didn't ask about it earlier. I had seen something similar in another thread and thought it would fit him and that it should be as easy to create as the torch variant. Guess I was too tired to remember asking permission when I submitted him. :eek:

Btw, what place does religion have in this setting, is it as big as in the traditional settings where most everyone has a patron deity? How many gods exists? - Just looking for some background information that might be important to a cleric.

Mithreander

Explorer
Survival witht e Travel domain? Missed that! Sorry. As for the permission thing, no worries. I though it would be pretty easy as well and the reason that I accepted it.

I was looking at the character on this page when I saw the 3 domains. I'll double check the one in the ROgues thread in a second, not that it matters if you've already decided on the two that you want.

Now, religion... tough question. Most people do refer to the gods as being responsible for most things in the world (It's raining so the God of Crops must be blessing us, or the God of Water is cursing us ands such). There is no sabath day in which all must worship, though most religions have their own days for worship. Worship is mainly a private affair with the people, for as the other races turned away from the humans, the man seemed to turn more towards themselves, and relience on the gods had decreased alarmingly.

True clerics are not very common. Most clergy men are just represenatives of a church and fail to meet any one gods expectations to the point of being granted abilities.

So, this is what I want you to do. Create a god and tell me why your character is the perfect represenitive of that god. You will recieve your powers from him, but will not trully realize that it's from him, if that makes sense. Let me know if I need to be clearer. Boy I'm tired.

Jolmo

First Post
One god, coming right up!

Fharlanghn - God of Travellers
Domains: Travel, Protection, Luck, Good, Chaos

Fharlanghn is the protector of all travellers, granting them luck to avoid hazards and protection against those that cannot be avoided. While many offer a prayer to Fharlanghn as they leave for a long journey, few follow his true call, to travel merely for the sake of travelling, leaving the roads only to prepare for the next journey.

Fharlanghn's shrines are all located along empty stretches of road or in tiny villages, offering a rest for the weary travellers who pass them. Often they lie empty, leaving the travellers to help themselves to it's shelter, though they are often visited by priests who make sure all is in order before moving on. Other, more important shrines always have a priest looking after them, who may leave only when another agrees to replace him, which usually doesn't take so long as many priests end their journeys at one of them.

The few priests dedicated to Fharlanghn are spread out, travelling around or staying at one of the shrines. Most of the priests know each other, but there is no central authority who controls their doings. In the rare case that something needs to be decided by the church as a whole, any priest may, in theory, call for a meeting to be held, though the younger priests are likely to be ignored unless their reasons are very convincing. The one making the call sets a date and place, traditionally the first day of the third following month at the currently largest shrine to avoid conflicting calls, and all who hears it are to spread it to those they meet in their journeys.

---

What sets Garam apart from most other priests, and why they are not blessed with Fharlanghn's power, is that most of them breaks one or more of his domain ideals. Some don't take their every chance at travelling, perhaps prefering to stay with a loved one or become too used to the ease of a stationary life after staying at a shrine. Others do not care as much for protecting other travellers as they should, slaking only their own thirst for travel and forgoes the responsibility of looking after the shrines. Yet more people do not trust to Fharlanghns luck, depending only on their own skill to see them through their obstacles. Still others do not go out of their way to help the needy in their travels, due to cowardice or uncaring, prefering to avoid such obstacles rather than helping those in need of it. Some also fail by becoming too caught up in their habits, perhaps travelling only the same route year after year or by planning things overly much.

The Walker family is a large extended family whose residence lies close to one of the larger shrines to Fharlanghn. The family have a long lasting tradition of almost every member becoming a follower and often even a priest of Fharlanghn. The family is also known as the church's biggest supporter. Those members who don't enjoy travelling themself often stays at the residence, looking after the house, their farms and the nearby shrine under the watch of Thela, Garam's grandmother, who is the unquestioned head of the family, even more so since her husband, Tals, went missing on one of his journeys some years ago.

---

Garams spellcasting could work out to be quite unspectacular, perhaps: like, casting Bless would be Garam asking for aid, not really expecting it but everything just working better for a while. Create Water wouldn't be cast as he's looking at the waterskin but as he's almost out of water, he suddenly realise that he had far more than he thought left. It wouldn't perhaps work for many of the higher level spells, but if the game goes long enough for those I guess he'd be more aware of his powers anyways. Is that the kind of thing you had in mind?

Curing wounds might be the hardest to explain, perhaps it could be split into two, so when cast just after the wound was inflicted, it grants the target luck in the past, making that solid hit into a near miss, he never took the damage. When cast some time after battle, it wouldn't be instaneous, just speed the natural healing so the target's healed in some hours, conveniently enough always before he would take lethal damage. ;) I.e. the target would be healed on paper but his wounds remains for a while in character.

Just some thoughts, if you prefer it some other way, just let me know.

Mithreander

Explorer
That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you. There are reason for the less flash in his powers, which may or may not come out in the game, or future games. I trully doubt that we'll have an opertunity to play him at a high enough level that it may come out.

We'll work on the details for specific spells as we play.

Remove ads