The Genesis Man [Solo]

Kaodi

Hero
Good Stuff

Next time I find a PbP I am really interested in recruiting, I think I am going to have to try the same kind of tactic you use, Isida, hehehe... You certainly illustrate well why it is important to go the distance when applying for a game, something I didn't really appreciate when I first applied to the Shadow Council game.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Heck that helps me get my character down better if I write like I was them. In PbP in general and PbP solo in particular characterization and backgrounds are so very important. With combat being much slower and more cumbersome, it's better if you have plenty of other stuff to fall back on. So there ya go. :)

I'm getting the nuts and bolts together for Roth, but I'll hold off on posting him until you decide who you want for your game.

Kaodi

Hero
Anyway...

I think I will give the recruitment until October 7th to run its course, and then I'll make a decision on who to go with.

Anyway, the letter is interesting Velmont, but the warlock is outside my definition of Core, sorry. If there is some other way you could adapt that character idea, I'll take another look at it.

Azaar

Explorer
Isida, you have certainly set the bar. I'm envious. But I'm willing to compete for this, so I'll bring forth my own character.

[sblock=Dax, CG Female Changeling Rogue 3]“I always felt like I was the type to take from the rich and give to the poor. Sure, I would take a small cut for myself, but for the most part, I believed that the old adage ‘share the wealth’ should be taken a little more literally. How was I to know that I’d eventually steal from the wrong person… or, as the case turned out, the right person.

“I was in Starilaskur at the time, having skipped out of Sharn after a couple of close calls when I saw someone who looked like an easy mark. Noble bearing and all that. He certainly didn’t seem to be paying much attention to anyone, and the setup was just too good to pass up. Time to redistribute some of Breland’s noble-born wealth, I thought. I made my move, ever so lightly brushing against him as I got his purse, and nonchalantly made my way in the opposite direction.

“That night, after buying a round for everyone on me -- as I said, I share the wealth -- six guards came to get me as I was eating supper. I supposed I hadn’t been quite as careful as I thought, and there was nowhere to run. No sense in making things even worse on myself -- it wouldn’t have been the first time I’d been in prison. But nothing prepared me for the visitor I received in the middle of the night: the noble himself, the one I’d stolen from.

“He identified himself as Captain Meryl d’Ravalas, and the first thought I had was that I’d be hanging from a noose by the end of the next day. Nobles are bad enough, but noble-born with military rank was even worse. It certainly didn’t help when he proceeded to tell me how several others had been watching me the entire time. How I missed them, I couldn’t understand… up until the good captain made his pitch.

“My talents were wasted on my activities, he said. My potential could be so much more, and yet I squandered it on such trivial pursuits. But there was a better way. And thus, I was given my choice: imprisonment and potential death within a Breland prison, or be shown how much more my life could truly be.

“Admittedly, I thought Captain d’Ravalas was trying to befriend me for less than honorable reasons -- not that I would have resisted; he was quite handsome, after all. But I was surprised after agreeing when it was revealed that I had become, for all intents and purposes, a patriot for the crown. Captain Meryl d’Ravalas, as it turned out, was the commander of the Starilaskur division of the King’s Citadel; more specifically, the commander of Starilaskur’s Dark Lanterns.

“Of course I wasn’t trusted; I was little better than a criminal in the eyes of most, despite the seeming honor of my intentions on economic redistribution. But I felt a drive to succeed and surpass the expectations set upon me by Captain d’Ravalas and the King’s Citadel. I wanted to show them all that I could be good at doing what was needed of me.

“Recently, I’ve begun hearing whispers and rumors from a couple of changelings I know -- contacts I’ve made over my time in Starilaskur. From the sound of it, the Cabinet of Faces is trying to carve a niche for themselves here in Starilaskur, and they’ve been watching all of us for potential initiates. So far, I’ve kept my affiliation with Captain d’Ravalas a secret -- a lady has to be careful with whom she associates, after all. And it makes me wonder if perhaps I might get close enough to get into the Cabinet of Faces and report on their dealings to the Dark Lanterns.

“It would be a challenge unlike any I’ve ever before faced. It might get me killed, for that matter, if the Cabinet of Faces discovers that I’ve planted myself in their midst at the behest of the Dark Lanterns. But it might give the Citadel and the Dark Lanterns insight into the true motives of the Cabinet of Faces.

“If nothing else, I think it’s time I took this to Captain d’Ravalas and let him decide if I should take the risk. I’m certainly willing enough to do it.

“After all… it’s my job. A true Dark Lantern or no, it’s a risk I feel is worth taking.”[/sblock]

Velmont

First Post
Kaodi said:
Anyway, the letter is interesting Velmont, but the warlock is outside my definition of Core, sorry. If there is some other way you could adapt that character idea, I'll take another look at it.

Well, the concept is a social spellcaster, but with a dark side to it, so I was figuring at first the Warlock was a perfect choice, as his source of power is dark, it has a high Charisma and have access to many social skills.

But he could have been train in both arcane art by Farnok and train in stealth and beguiling by Illewyn, making him a nice wizard/rogue. His wizard aspect would be more illusionist and enchantment, but with some offensive seplls when things turn bad. His rogue skills would be maily social, with a few intrusion skills, so most likely I would go for the Rogue substitution level in the Race of Eberron book. Also he could devellop into a Cabinet Trikster and most likely would go for a few changelling feats.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Azaar - Looking good mate. And if you're up for a little writing ladder, I'm game. If nothing else we'll have two good character backgrounds when we're done! ;)

Azaar

Explorer
Hehe. I've been so used to just giving a brief blurb (since it seems most DMs don't want to read a novel) for backgrounds that having to step up the detail for a character like this was unexpected. But the more I thought about it, the more I understood it was a good thing, especially in a situation like this where the DM is taking cues from us for the story.

I know that I'm gonna like Dax, though. Even if she isn't approved in the end, I'm liking the kind of background I've got for her -- might even be worth writing a novel on her, to submit to WoTC as an Eberron novel. :) Though I doubted I would ever truly go the full 20 levels, I was hoping to finish up the stat build as Rogue 6 / Cabinet Trickster 5 / Dark Lantern 9.

Velmont

First Post
Azaar said:
Hehe. I've been so used to just giving a brief blurb (since it seems most DMs don't want to read a novel) for backgrounds that having to step up the detail for a character like this was unexpected. But the more I thought about it, the more I understood it was a good thing, especially in a situation like this where the DM is taking cues from us for the story.

It's true that when you run a game with 6 to 8 character, if vereyone have 2 pages of background, and you wanted to run a premade module (like Shackled City), such long background is mostly useless. But in a solo game, it is time to make an adventure that turns around the concept of a character, and not have simply something pre-made, and I think it is a good oppotunity to write down a long background, to gives idea to the master.

The longuest background I wrote down was for a game of Mutants and Masterminds, and the game never start out. Since that time, I hope to fall on a solo game and try him. If you wnat to take a look on how long I can make a background, look at that thread.

Kaodi

Hero
Errr...

Bumpety, bumpety?

One week to go... hopefully there will be a few more applications in the next few days. Maybe it would help if I came up with a better name for the thread... hehe...

Azaar

Explorer
Heh. At this point, I'm just sitting back to wait and see what happens. I have a feeling I know who might be chosen, but I'm not psychic -- so I'll wait patiently to see who takes the prize, as it were. :)

Remove ads