• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The GF in the Game

Beckett

Explorer
Let me tell you a tale of two spouses.

My wife joined the group before we were officially dating (although we were already pretty close). She worked hard at learning the rules, although she is not as enthusiastic about crunchy bits as I am. She can create her characters and level them without a problem, although she often asks me for help because she knows I have at least a general idea of every feat in every book I own (I'm not going to ding her for not memorizing every feat out of the Races, the Completes, PHB 1 and 2, and the Eberron books).
In combat and in play, she has a pretty good understanding of what her character can do and how to do it. She leans toward the role-play side of things, and is good about acting in character.

Special treatment? She loves to tell how I've killed more of her characters than I have of anyone else. During one game, she did get some private, 1 on 1 sessions. These were because her character had made friends with a rival group of adventurers, who the rest of the party prefered to ignore. She got some information out of the sessions, but no treasure or experience. She gets a share of the same experience and treasure as everyone else.

On the other hand, my friend's wife. Despite joining the group long before my wife did, she does not know the rules. She has to be led through character creation, and only allows my friend to help her on this (that is, if she doesn't just throw up her hands and make him do it all). She'd never make it through a combat if he didn't tell her what the bonuses and dice on her character sheet meant. It eventually became obvious to all that any interest she had in playing the game died long ago; she's there for her husband's attention, and you can see the storm brewing if she does not have it all.

In my games, she gets no special favors (except for not getting banned from my table, which is chiefly because she's my best friend's wife and they rent part of my house). My friend hasn't run a game in a while; the last one he ran, he created a prestige class for her. The Disciple of Boccob: it was like a mystic theurge, but it required 3rd level arcane and divine spells (oh and that was a joy, her having two spellcasting classes when she couldn't handle one- her great role-playing skills consisted of always having her character's nose stuck in her spell book). Oh yeah, besides boosting your arcane and divine casting levels, at first level Boccob rewarded your devotion with a Robe of the Archmagi and I think a Staff of the Magi. The last session we played, she got her hands on an item that turned her into a Solar for the duration of the battle (we were maybe 12th at this time, and I think the battle had been set up so that we pretty much needed a solar on our side to have a chance.)

So, I would say gaming with the DM's spouse is not always a bad thing; it just depends on the spouse.

Anti-Sean

First Post
My wife doesn't play, but if she did, I'd like to think that I'd be fair and impartial enough to kill her character off if she hogged all the covers and kept jabbing me with her ice cold feet the night before, just like I would with the rest of my players.

Ulrick

First Post
I do have somewhat of a standing rule in the games that I run:
I don't mind if there's a romantic relationship between players so long as they don't "act it out" (particularly arguments) during the session. Obviously this rule is bendable. See, it really isn't the actual relationship that concerns me, its what happens if the relationship dissolves.

I also make it a point not to date any of my players. Because I know of the potential problems of favoritism it'd cause.

Bad Paper

First Post
My wife plays a druid in the campaign that I run. I inadvertently wound up killing her PC first, which "proved" that I wasn't playing favorites, so that then I could confidently massacre the rest of the party at my leisure. She absolutely hates it when I kill her latest cutie-pie animal companion; that's probably the worst part of it. Naturally, I take great pleasure in describing said animal's demise in painful detail. (e.g. the dire lion smacked with the triple whammy of blasphemy, blade barrier, and acid breath weapon... :eek: )

I like having her in the game because it's something we can do together, and she can understand my excitement at playing in my second campaign (PC, not DM). We joined a third campaign, with both of us as PCs, but that folded as the DM got overwhelmed with other things. I liked having us both as players, but would have liked to see beyond third level.

Lilith

Explorer
No - I don't give special treatment to my husband when I DM, and he doesn't give me special treatment when he GMs. :) It works out better that way. Favoritism, whether to a SO or to somebody else, is no way to promote unity in a group.

rhm001

First Post
Anti-Sean said:
My wife doesn't play, but if she did, I'd like to think that I'd be fair and impartial enough to kill her character off if she hogged all the covers and kept jabbing me with her ice cold feet the night before, just like I would with the rest of my players.

Do the rest of your players hog the covers and jab you with their feet often?!?

Yeah, it's pretty much you (and, apparently, a couple others).

My group consists of me (who sometimes DMs), my wife, a husband (who usually DMs) and wife, another husband and wife, and three other guys (one of whom occasionally DMs).

So, yeah, three married couples at the table, one member of which is usually DMing.

Apart from one of the wives being completely unable to perform basic arithmetic on the spot* (that's why they invented Excel!) and therefore getting math aid :) , there's no special treatment given to any of them.

* - You know that Munchkin card, "Convenient Additiona Error: 2 + 2 = 22"? Yeah, that's her card. :D

Endur

First Post
Its not the biggest problem. But all relationships can cause issues. Even if you are just friends.

I suppose if you want to avoid problems, you could play with a bunch of people you have never met before. But even that has issues.

JVisgaitis

Explorer
Must be you. I've been DMing with my girlfriend in the group for a very long time (5+ years). I never have any problems and neither do my players. I'm kinda harder on her then I am anyone else and not on purpose. I just don't want people to think she gets special treatment and I guess I subconsciously single her out at times.

Last edited:

Remove ads