• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Gnome Poll

Gnome practices, gnome desires (MULTI CHOICE)

• Have you ever played a Gnome PC?

Votes: 179 51.7%
  • Have you ever used a Gnome NPC?

Votes: 228 65.9%
  • Would you like to run a Gnome PC?

Votes: 161 46.5%
  • Would you like use Gnome NPCs?

Votes: 185 53.5%
  • Do you NEVER want to use/play gnomes?

Votes: 69 19.9%
  • Would you only use/play gnomes if they somehow got better?

Votes: 55 15.9%
  • EMONG!!

Votes: 58 16.8%

• Poll closed .

Merlin the Tuna

First Post
Here are my thoughts.

I haven't used a gnome PC or NPC before, but I would like to use one of each. That's the thing though -- I have a certain appreciation for gnomes, but only enough to want one. So, (barring Eberron, which is awesometastic), I don't think they're really fit for the PHB.

RuminDange

First Post
Never played one, never wanted too.
Never had a player play one in any of my games. Never had anyone want too. Halflings yes, gnomes no.
Used them as NPCs in my current campaign. Wished I hadn't as I would have rather removed them completely as they just don't fit or offer anything that I want.

Oh well, maybe some world changing event can change the one mistake. :]

Don't hate gnomes, just they don't interest me or my group. :\

RD

Irda Ranger

First Post
Lord Tirian said:
Have you read Hellcow's blogpost about gnomes? It condenses all the interesting stuff about Eberron gnomes and explains why they're friggin' creepy.

Cheers, LT.
Fascinating. Was that in the main ECS book, and I missed it? I didn't get that impression from reading the article on it, but maybe I skimmed too quickly.

Those Gnomes are very different from the "Unified Theory" Gnomes Mr. Dustyboots presented. I get the impression that if UT-Gnomes ever had a full blown nation, most people wouldn't even know it was there; of if they suspected, all the details would be wrong.

I can just picture now an adventurer wandering through some woodland and suddenly a Gnome appears: "Ok, look here pal." says the Gnome "We've tried to do this the easy way by presenting you with easier paths to walk down, but you keep picking the hard ones. You've deliberately avoided every inviting elven camp we led you to. You've ignored and dragon spoor dropping we left lying on this road, and even avoided that one orc encampment when we thought reverse-psychology would get us somewhere. I don't know how or why you're doing it, or if you are deliberately seeking the Gnomish settlements, but it's gotta stop. Go back."

"But I am seeking King Peldypants of Frugalforn. I believe I have been in the Kingdown of Frugalforn's lands for the last two days. Yes?" replied the Man.

"No such king, no such country. We just told that Sage a tall tale to make him happy and go away. The fact is, there's no kingdom at all here. You're just too close to a small gnomish village, and we don't like it."

(Several more minutes of arguing ensues. Eventually the Man leaves, frustrated.)

After silence has fallen on the glade for several minutes, another Gnome sticks his head out of a bush. "Did the Man leave?"

"I think so. Go tell King Kuldorkins the same. He'll want to know."

"Good. I didn't like how he was standing right in the middle of town like that. That was too close."

pweent

Explorer
The Gnome And Me:

Back in my relaxed days of being a D&D player, our DM used gnomes in a "gnomes of Zurich" type role. They were the money controllers and the not-so-secret masterminds behind much of the world. "Never cross a gnome" was a motto to live by. In our first game, we were explorers under contract to the gnomes, with one gnome PC representing their interests. In the latter, in which everyone played psionic "monks", when the gnome Brother Wilfo fled with some of the monastery's secrets, our players had to hunt him down and bring him home, thus crossing the gnomes and bringing on ourselves the world of hurt that underscored the rest of the game.

Nowadays, DMing in Eberron, the gnomes mostly take care of themselves flavorwise. We have had no gnome players, but a couple of NPCs so far. They'll likely remain as only background elements, however.

Last edited:

Remove ads