D&D 5E The Grappler's Manual (2.0) - Grappling in 5th Edition

Zene

First Post
One of the problems is that Shapechange has a Concentration requirement, and at that tier, anything worth grappling is going to be hitting you hard while you are doing it.

Ooh, that is an excellent point. I'd planned on taking both Resilient Con and Warcaster in the build, but you're right, even that may not be enough for the kind of hits I'll be taking. Warding bond may be a good Magical Secrets pick to cut those con check DCs.

But maybe Bladesinger (with a Rogue 1 dip for expertise) would be a better route? Gets an additional +4 to con checks (assuming a headband of intellect, since I'll be using ASIs for feats instead of Int boosts), and can reduce incoming damage via Song of Defense for easier con check DCs. No magical secrets, but a much better base spell list, so I figure that's a wash. I know it'll be a weaker grappler until those high levels, but I think I can live with that... just play it as a standard wizard/bladesinger until then.

johnlent

First Post
You could make a very weird bladesinger focused on Con (14 int, 14 dex to multiclass rogue). Then use all your spells to buff or summon so that int does not matter for any of your spells (no saves or attack rolls). Would be interesting to play at least.

Zene

First Post
You could make a very weird bladesinger focused on Con (14 int, 14 dex to multiclass rogue). Then use all your spells to buff or summon so that int does not matter for any of your spells (no saves or attack rolls). Would be interesting to play at least.

Half-elf could be 16 dex, 16 con, 13 int, 12 wis, 10 cha, 8 str. Headband of intellect would mean you're almost as smart a wizard as those that max int. (+4 instead of +5). Belt of giant strength would allow you to grapple decently at low to mid levels if you wanted, although personally I'd just hold out til Shapechange.

Wish -> simulacrum.

Then you can "concentrate" on 2 spells at once (enlarge + hex), or just have 2 grapplers.

Yes! Although no shapechange that way (only 1 9th-level slot). Also can do some shenanigans with ring of spell storing and smart minions to get double concentration effects, but that uses attunement slots.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Crossposting this from my Dexbarian thread:

A new player class was leaked and it looks to be the perfect thing for a dex barbarian. Go here http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/tomb-annihilation and download the tier one surrogates and take a look at the rogue. It looks like grungs are a playable race. Here is their breakdown:

Its poisonous skin gives us some much desired bonus damage to our attacks and raging allows it to grapple medium creatures effectively if the need arises.

johnlent

First Post
Wow, okay, so in his effort to continue to make Math nerds lose control of our hobby, JC has declared that size is everything, mass is nothing. If that becomes a generally accepted rule, it opens up a lot of options.

johnlent

First Post
I guess at this point, with Volos on the table, QUETZALCOATLUS is the better option. It flies and has a beak capable of grappling, so that should shut down any arguments about you being able to grab, as well as dragging the enemy and having to take damage yourself.

1. Race: Tabaxi
2. Classes: Druid 8 (moon), Barbarian 6 (aspect of bear), Rogue 2, Fighter 2
3. Feats: Mobile
4. Pre-Cast: Longstrider.
5. Equipment: Potion of Growth (pre drunk), Potion of Speed, Belt of Storm Giant Strength
6. Round 1: Cast Spike Growth; action surge drink Potion of Speed. Wild shape into QUETZALCOATLUS,
7. Round 2: grapple target, prone target
Results:
Speed: (Barbarian 10, Quet 80, Mobile 10, Longstrider 10) X 2 (haste) = 220
Size: Gargantuan - Can drag large creatures without slowing.
Dash for Free (Haste), Dash as Bonus (Cunning Action), and Base Move.
Athletics Check Average: 10 (base) +10 (Expertise) +9 (Str) +5 (Enlarge) = 34

Round 2: Attack (grab) and Attack (shove prone). Then drag the target around the perimeter of the spikes. 220/5*3=132 squares, at 2d4 damage per square. 660 damage (no save).
Each subsequent round, since escape is effectively impossible for any medium creature in the game, you then deal 880 damage.
Also, the target is prone and cannot stand, so he is easy for allies to hit and has a difficult time hitting you.
You basically deal half that damage to anything Huge or Gargantuan. (still obscene)
And every other round, you double the damage with Tabaxi speed.

Remove ads