D&D 5E The Grappler's Manual (2.0) - Grappling in 5th Edition

Zene

First Post
I guess at this point, with Volos on the table, QUETZALCOATLUS is the better option. It flies and has a beak capable of grappling, so that should shut down any arguments about you being able to grab, as well as dragging the enemy and having to take damage yourself.

1. Race: Tabaxi
2. Classes: Druid 8 (moon), Barbarian 6 (aspect of bear), Rogue 2, Fighter 2
3. Feats: Mobile
4. Pre-Cast: Longstrider.
5. Equipment: Potion of Growth (pre drunk), Potion of Speed, Belt of Storm Giant Strength
6. Round 1: Cast Spike Growth; action surge drink Potion of Speed. Wild shape into QUETZALCOATLUS,
7. Round 2: grapple target, prone target
Results:
Speed: (Barbarian 10, Quet 80, Mobile 10, Longstrider 10) X 2 (haste) = 220
Size: Gargantuan - Can drag large creatures without slowing.
Dash for Free (Haste), Dash as Bonus (Cunning Action), and Base Move.
Athletics Check Average: 10 (base) +10 (Expertise) +9 (Str) +5 (Enlarge) = 34

Round 2: Attack (grab) and Attack (shove prone). Then drag the target around the perimeter of the spikes. 220/5*3=132 squares, at 2d4 damage per square. 660 damage (no save).
Each subsequent round, since escape is effectively impossible for any medium creature in the game, you then deal 880 damage.
Also, the target is prone and cannot stand, so he is easy for allies to hit and has a difficult time hitting you.
You basically deal half that damage to anything Huge or Gargantuan. (still obscene)
And every other round, you double the damage with Tabaxi speed.

You, sir, are an evil genius.

The only error I see, is that the Tabaxi's Feline Agility only recharges once you move 0 in a turn. So you can't really use it every other round; probably just once per combat in most cases (so round 3, for max damage, in your setup; unless using it in round 2 would kill, which it really should).

The only improvement I see is, given JC's tweet on carrying capacity, I don't think you need Barb 6. You could get extra attack from just taking fighter to 5, which would shave 3 levels off this.

andr3w1sh

First Post
I'm having a hard time agreeing that the Grappler feat is not worth it because of the shove-to-prone action. I'm building a fighter/rogue grappler atm and am looking at that feat as saving me an action. With SA damage coming from rogue, being at advantage is important, and having advantage built in to grapple means you can move/grab/stab all in one turn at fighter level 2 with Action Surge or especially with Extra Attack at 5th level. Paired with the Tavern Brawler feat and Two-Weapon Fighting Style, you can move/punch/grab/stab in one turn. If you want to stay with that guy, move/punch/grab/shove-to-prone then next turn do whatever you want: stab/drag/etc. What sounds really fun to me is bouncing around the room stabbing everyone with SA damage and using maneuver strikes to disarm and let the rest of the party clean up the mess. For something like that, Grappler comes in pretty handy.

David Shulman

First Post
Amazing guide. Question: is it possible to grapple an enemy with one hand and then, using the other free hand, climb a vertical surface with handholds, and then drop the enemy from a height?

Itama95

First Post
Hey there! This guide is amazing, and it really makes me what to build a los Tiburon style barbarian character. My only question is how you would rate the dwarvish battlerager barbarian path from SCAG, and the player races from Volo's. I'm looking at building a bugbear battle-rager (I know it doesn't work in FR, but that's silly so I'm ignoring it) and I'd like to know if there's any interesting new tactics that opens up.

JzaDragon

First Post
Way of the Shadow Grappler

Way of the Shadow Grappler:

4fight/9mystic/6monk/1rogue

I like highest in Dex, need at least 13 in str or dex, int, and wis for multiclassing. Vanilla Human with +1 to all can go a long way if you're limited on stats. Cha is a stat dump.

Feats: Lucky, Skulker

I leave off strength because other than adding a single point in athletics per 2 stats, it adds nothing of value for me. Until hopefully a later fix, Grappler feat is next to worthless as well. The virtually invisible decrease and having constant advantage to strength checks rgardless made me okay with lowering it for a more useful dex score. 1 each from int and wis can go to strength if you'd prefer, but I am comfortable leaving it at 12.

1st: Fighter1, dueling, insight, perception, con save
- Start with default medium armor and martial weapon (katana and shuriken for style points)
- Take Dueling style to add 2 damage for all melee one handed attacks, including unarmed
- Chosen first for proficiency in con saves for our precious concentration spells
2nd: Mystic1, Mastery of Force focus, Inertial Armor, Giant Growth
- Always have advantage on strength checks, including athletics
- Can gain 10 temp hp for 2 psi, a huge amount for low level
- Grow to large with extra 1d4 melee and increase reach for 1 min conc
- Can also opt to see through magical darkness but forego strength adv; useful for fighting in darkness if you want to forego grappling
- Switch to unarmored and use Inertial armor to reach 17ac
3rd: Monk1, unarmored, martial arts, 1d4
- Katana and shuriken will apply as monk weapons. Inertial is better than dex+wis, but you can get some sweet black gi to wear
4th: Monk2, ki, movement
- Increase walk speed with the option to dash, disengage, double jump height, or dodge
5th: Monk3, deflect missiles, shadow arts
- Much tougher to ranged damage
- Can now cast darkness or silence for 2 ki, conc.
6th: Fighter2, action surge
- Can now surge after casting darkness/silence and immediately grapple to hold a target in
7th: Monk4, ASI, slow fall
- As good a time as any to take Lucky and smooth over those occasional bad rolls, 3/day
8th: Monk5, extra attack, 1d6 martial arts
- Can now grapple two or grapple+shove in the same round
9th: Monk6, unarmed damage becomes magical, unarmored movement, shadow step
- Significant increase to movement and a free 60ft teleport while hiding
10th: Rogue1, expertise, sneak attack
- Big bump to Athletics; after 9th level that’s already +4. Proficiency in stealth. Guaranteed extra 1d6 to targets with Sneak Attack
11th: Mystic2, mystic recovery, telepathy
- Darkness from discipline is now viable to use over the wizard spell as it requires no conc
12th: Mystic3, Wu Jen, discipline, 3 psi limit
- Now always self-heal for the amount of psi you spend
- Take Bestial Form to gain additional 2 ac; can also gain gills to drown grapple
- Perfect Senses from Bestial Form, 3 psi to have blindsense is redundant, but an option now
- Can now summon two Shadows to Strength Drain your grapple targets to death
13th: Mystic4, ASI
- I like to take Skulker to ensure stealth checks in dim light or behind your own allies/illusion
14th: Mystic5, discipline, /5
- Iron Durability for 1-7 as reaction to your AC and an option for +1 AC as focus
- Can now fly with Bestial Form
15th: Mystic6, Wu Jen
- Take Order of the Wu Jen for a few useful spells.
- With extra psi to spend you have the option to dump with Bestial Claws to augment your unarmed strikes, a d10 for every psi, as a free action as many times in a round as you want, while mystic recovery is simultaneously restoring you.
16th: Mystic7, discipline, 6 psi limit
- Take Brute Force mystic discipline to really take your jump height places. Combine with Jump and Feather Fall from Wu Jen to achieve max fall damage to grapple victims
17th: Mystic8, ASI, potent psionics
- Potent Psionics adds another 1d8 once a round when you hit
- Take +2 dex for armor, attack, damage, initiative, reflex, and stealth increase
18th: Mystic9, discipline, 7 psi limit
- Psionic Restoration to heal yourself and your allies with your many psi points
19th: Fighter3, Battle Master
- Take disarming, menacing, and trip. It’s nothing that you can’t do without the special resource, but it can be useful for action economy and shorten setup. DC is based on proficiency and dex, so it’s a high chance for you.
20th: Fighter4, ASI
- Take +2 dex for armor, attack, damage, initiative, reflex, and stealth increase

End up with 13 in athletics, 11 in stealth, 21 ac, 6 ki, and 57 psi points.

A word on Wu Jen:
Order of the Immortal is redundant with monk and Nomad is redundant with Way of the Shadow. Shadow is the only place a monk/mystic is getting Silence to shut down casters. Meanwhile, Order of the Wu Jen can give us a handful of great effects from the wizard spell list:
- Familiar: Bat (2 psi, 1 hour cast time) is a great partner with 60ft blindsense, for the occasional help action, or a myriad of other awesome uses. Just don’t let him get hit.
- Jump (2 psi, no conc) triples jump height, even the silly amounts from the Brute Force discipline, making your sky suplexes higher than Mighty Leap alone can reach at a more economical psi cost
- Feather Fall (2 psi, reaction) to have the effect of Air focus 3 levels earlier, making the order of which disciplines to learn much less stressful. It’s only good for one drop per cast because the spell ends when you touch the ground.
You can change which spell you prepare each mystic level, and if you’d like to change a spell you could opt for:
- Dispel Magic (5 psi). You can’t perform the verbal component from within Silence, but you can cast this from up to 120 feet as long as you can see the target. Recall that this also applies to if your familiar can see the target when viewing through its senses.

Some notes about Battle Master Maneuvers:
- You have 4 maneuvers to use between short rests, combined with action surge and second wind also restored on a short rest, encourage liberal use of them and to find rests where you can get ‘em.
- Maneuvers work on any weapon hit, so multiple attempts of effects tagged onto your flurry is a possibility. If nothing else, it’s added 1d8 damage for each
- RAW, a grapple is a Special melee attack, so maneuvers could apply to a grapple check. You could disarm and grapple in the same action, do the same to another target, then pull them both away from their weapons. How do you manage with only two hands? Badass judo tricks using their own limbs against them, such as using the arm of the first guy to block and trap the attack of the second, your free hand to take his weapon.
- Also works on an attack of opportunity, so if a target attempts to flee your dark/silent radius, you can roll to trip with the OA

A reasonable alternative to 3 and 4 in fighter would be to reach 11 in mystic:
- 11th level mystic gets a large increase in psi points between normal resource growth, special resource in psionic mastery (but no truly tantalizing conc combinations), and a final reserve of psi points taken out of your max health, up to a possible total of 23 more psi points available per day. Already sitting at 57 psi points, you don’t have to have it, but it’s nice.
- Loses one ASI, so 2 less in dexterity

Way of the Shadow Grappler:
Preparation Round: 11 psi
- Start with Force focus, Familiar active(2 psi), 6 psi of spellslots (6 psi),
- Use action to cast Minor Illusion; I like to make the screeching noises of dozens of bats while my familiar flaps distractingly in the air to misdirect them. Oh yeah, we’re getting spooky.
- Use Bonus to cast Tough Hide (2 psi)
- hide with advantage

Round 1, Lights Out: 3-4 ki
- Use action to cast Darkness from the mystic discipline (1 psi per 10ft radius, no con, easily better than the wizard spell) and use the bat as the object it’s centered on, then telepathically tell it to fly over targets just out of their melee attack reach
- Use bonus to change focus to Mastery of Light and Darkness to see through your magical darkness
Round 2, Shadow Boxing: Extra ki, psi, and conc as desired
- Good for filling an enclosed space with Darkness that they can’t simply run out of
- Enjoy fighting with advantage (Bat within 5 feet) while they are blind and you aren’t
- Use attack, extra attack and bonus attack (3 unarmed hits using bonus action)
- Use attack, extra attack and flurry of blows (4 unarmed hits using bonus action, 1 ki)
- Can opt to grow large (2 psi) or huge (7 psi)(conc) to further boost melee as a bonus action, but expand darkness accordingly
- Guaranteed Sneak Attacks, 1d6, once per round, and Potent Psionics, 1d8 per round
- Can use Bestial Claws to boost freely, 1d10 per psi, free action with any unarmed attacks
Or:
Round 1, Ready for Takeoff: 4-9 psi, conc
- Use action to cast Jump (2 psi, 1 min)
- Use bonus to grow large (2 psi) or huge (7 psi)(conc)
- Stay hidden
Round 2, Meteor Strike: up to 4-10 psi, 0-1 ki
- Use bonus to Dash or Disengage if needed (1 ki)
- Move 10 feet to get high jump if needed, doubled from Step of the Wind
- Use action to grapple, extra to grapple two, with advantage
- Hulk Jump!
- 2-3 psi of Mighty Leap, option of double from ki, triple from Jump, as large or huge should easily push you in excess of 200 feet or 20d6 and leave the targets prone
- Land one of three ways:
o Use reaction to cast Feather Fall (2 psi) when under 60 feet to the ground, releasing grapple before you do.
o Can also opt to cast Flight (5 psi) as bonus to better maneuver and hold a target until the very last second if you think they have a spell to avoid damage. Still use Jump for faster ascent and sprout wings on the way down while grappling.
o Even without Feather Fall or Flight, at Monk level 6 your slow fall negates 30 damage, plus temp hp is your threshold to take no damage and land safely. If Huge, you have 30 temp hp and therefore ignore 60 fall damage, the highest possible damage of a drop from 100 feet or 10d6. If you do this, apply all that damage to the target(s) you land on. Consider it a reflex save to avoid, which prone targets such as the ones you just dropped don’t have.
- Aim to land adjacent to them if they aren’t dead or land in a shadow if there are more enemies. If you didn’t use extra attack yet, you can try aiming to knock someone prone and grapple.
Or:
Round 1, Quiet Time: 2 ki, conc.
- Use action to cast Silence on the floor under a caster (2 ki, conc); they’ll probably leave spell on their turn
- Use bonus to shadow step behind where you predict they will run
Round 2, Bullying, conc.
- Use bonus to shadow step if needed nearest to where casters went
- Use action to grapple, extra attack to grapple two
- Use movement and/or mighty leap as needed to reach Silence area
- Use extra attack to shove prone if you didn’t use it yet
Or:
Round 1, Shadow Gathering: 5-10 psi, conc.
- Use action to summon two Shadows (3 psi, conc.) and keep them hidden
- Shadow Step to hide as needed
Round 2, The Azkaban Treatment: 0-3 psi, conc.
- Use action and extra attack to grapple two targets or grapple/shove one
- Have Shadows continue to hit with Strength Drain with advantage, lowering strength score and potentially killing them if they reach 0
- Throw in a timely intimidation to assert total dominance

Any round while grappling:
Ground Control: Extra ki and psi as desired
- Use Shove (athletics) as needed to prone 1-2 grappled targets
- Use strength contest to take their weapon away, movement to drag them away from it
- It’s not in the rules, but there’s no reason to say you couldn’t use a strength check to apply your martial arts know-how and seriously break an opponent’s bones once prone. Submissions are dangerous, yo.
- Use attack and bonus attack (1 extra unarmed hit as bonus action)
- Use attack and flurry of blows (2 unarmed hits as bonus action, 1 ki)
- Guaranteed Sneak Attacks, 1d6, once per round
- Use Bestial Claws to boost freely, 1d10 per psi, free action with any attacks

Action Surge can be used to combine any two of these rounds, and superiority die can shorten actions required. With good initiative or surprise, you could pull off the Round 2 effects before they even move. Use it again after a short rest.

Shadow Beasts:
If not using conc on Giant Growth or Silence, you can create two Shadows (3 psi, conc). Shadow stat block:
SHADOW
Medium undead, chaotic evil
Armor Class 12
Hit Points 16 (3d8 + 3)
Speed 40ft.

STR 6 (- 2) / DEX 14 (+2) / CON 13 (+1) / INT 6 (- 2) / WIS 10 (+0) / CHA 8 (-1)

Skills Stealth +4 (+6 in dim light or darkness)
Damage Vulnerabilities radiant
Damage Resistances acid, cold, fire, lightning,
thunder; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from
non magical weapons
Damage Immunities necrotic, poison
Condition Immunities exhaustion, frightened, grappled,
paralyzed, petrified, poisoned, prone, restrained
Senses darkvision 60ft., passive Perception 10
Languages -
Challenge 1/2 (100 XP)
Amorphous. The shadow can move through a space as narrow
as 1 inch wide without squeezing.
Shadow Stealth. While in dim light or darkness, the shadow
can take the Hide action as a bonus action.
Sunlight Weakness. While in sunlight, the shadow has
disadvantage on attack rolls, ability checks, and saving throws.
ACTIONS
Strength Drain. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft.,
one creature. Hit: 9 (2d6 + 2) necrotic damage, and the target's
Strength score is reduced by 1d4. The target dies if this reduces
its Strength to 0. Otherwise, the reduction lasts until the target
finishes a short or long rest.
If a non-evil humanoid dies from this attack, a new shadow
rises from the corpse 1d4 hours later.
Strength Drain is an auto kill scenario, and while holding a target prone, they’ll have plenty of time to keep draining, provided no other enemies are free to attack them.

Last edited:

JzaDragon

First Post
Sorry if any of this had previously been discussed; I searched the thread by 'mystic' and a couple other keywords and didn't see too much. Thread's pretty giant. Actually that might be good grounds to just write this as a separate thread, but keep credit to this guide of course. If anyone knows what's best to do, let me know.

Last edited:

Zene

First Post
So, what options for grappler builds do y'all think XGE will open up?

If it hasn't changed from UA, the racial feat Squat Nimbleness will be a huge boon to dwarf grapplers, giving athletics expertise in a versatile half-feat (+1 to dex, con, or str). So fighter or barbarian builds can now pick up expertise without a rogue or bard dip. Related to that, it'll mean there will be builds with extra attack and expertise by level 5 (one level sooner than previously possible in published material, I believe).

Some of the other racial feats could be interesting on a grappler (Dragonborn Wings, Tiefling Barbed Hide), but I'm not sure if any are really worth the cost other than Squat Nimbleness.

Does anyone know if any of the new caster subclasses get Extra Attack? I'm assuming Bard College of Swords does, but not sure about any others.

Any new abilities you've seen (in UA or from the few XGE copies already out) that would make interesting new grappling builds?

How about new spells? Tenser's transformation (depending on whether the wording on the "two attacks" allows grapple checks) could be a game-changer for wizards (and whatever other classes get it, if any). Any others?

Charles Miller1

First Post
In the first post in the table of contents there are 4 character builds listed after the dojo. Have those builds been released anywhere in this forum? I'm making a Grappler for a cholt campaign and I'd like to see a template to get some ideas.

JzaDragon

First Post
So, what options for grappler builds do y'all think XGE will open up?

If tenser's transform says attacks, grappling can replace each. Grapple is written:

When you want to grab a creature or wrestle with it, you can use the Attack action to make a Special melee attack, a grapple. If you’re able to make multiple attacks with the Attack action, this attack replaces one of them.

As for other build ideas, I posted my shadow grappler a couple posts up, uses Monk and Mystic. I haven't been able to get my hands on XGE yet, but I'm looking forward.

Remove ads