• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Great EN World News Poll

Which news sections do you read? (Select all that apply).

• New at WotC (official releases, WotC site updates, etc.)

Votes: 352 91.9%
  • Community News (fan sites and resources, interviews, etc.)

Votes: 305 79.6%
  • d20 System (recent releases)

Votes: 318 83.0%
  • Software News

Votes: 133 34.7%
  • Magazine's & Periodicals (Dragon, Dungeon, e-zines, etc.)

Votes: 210 54.8%
  • Books & Novels (specifically D&D related)

Votes: 89 23.2%
  • Other News (GenCon, random bits)

Votes: 266 69.5%
  • Reviews (recent reviews here and elsewhere)

Votes: 280 73.1%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Hi folks!

This poll is to determine the direction of EN World's news page - I want to find out which bits you read and which bits you don't.

This is about sections of the news page, not areas of the site. So, for example, by "Reviews Section", I don't mean EN World's reviews database, I mean the bit in the daily news which lists reent reviews here and elsewhere.

Please try to be honest - if you always gloss or skip over a particular bit of the news, make sure you don't vote for it! I, myself, have voted and there are sections of the news which even I don't pay much attention to (I like the Community News, but rarely read the list of latest d20 releases, for example).

If you don't read the news page at all, please skip this poll: I'm specifically interested in hearing which sections of the news page are read by those who use it. For now, suggestions on other stuff which could be there aren't relevant to the data I'm trying to gather here (that will come later), so I'd appreciate it if you could stay focused on the question at hand. :)

I AM insterested, though, in "I would read that section if..." comments. For example - would you read the d20 News section if it wasn't pretty much a list of recent PDFs these days? Would you read the Reviews section if it had more or less blurb there?

Last edited:

Aus_Snow

First Post
I voted for the first three, as they are the things I'm least likely to skip past.

Update --- I rarely look at reviews on the front page, because I tend to actively look up reviews for products that've already piqued my interest and ignore others, and I'll cross-reference the former on a few sites (rpgnet and enworld, for example).

Last edited:

I voted that I don't read d20 system news which is a shame. I used to follow it pretty closely, but you're right, since it is now mostly the latest release of pdf's I've little interst. From time to time a relase may catch my eye, but it's very very rare. The pdf's are a niche market in a niche industry unfortunaltely and they seem to get lots of news time. So after the first few times of glancing down and seeing nothing of interest I've stopped really looking.

I'll try to chime in later on some of the other categories as well.

-Ashrum

Seeker95

First Post
The news page is my front page. I check it daily.

Although I don't find every section appealing (I marked only four of the sections), I think they all have some merit.

My only news page suggestion would be to re-work the polls. A poll shows up on the news page, and it will let me vote in it from there. But oftentimes, after voting, I learn that I voted "wrong" based on the information in the "first post" of the poll.

Jaws

First Post
I check the news page daily too. I don't get my news by reading the messageboards. If people want me to know about their product, they need to have it on the front page.

Peace and smiles :)

j.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Ashrum the Black said:
From time to time a relase may catch my eye, but it's very very rare. The pdf's are a niche market in a niche industry unfortunaltely and they seem to get lots of news time. So after the first few times of glancing down and seeing nothing of interest I've stopped really looking.

Unfortunately, that reflects what's happening in the industry - there aren't all that many print releases these days! :)

talmar

First Post
I pretty much voted for everything exept ...

WotC news (I check thier site daily anyway, just like I do ENWorld :) )
Books and Novels
Reviews

I read pretty much everything else.

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
Morrus said:
Unfortunately, that reflects what's happening in the industry - there aren't all that many print releases these days! :)
And it also reflects the news that's submitted either through the queue or in the publisher forum — the PDF publishers are far more consistent and aggressive about using ENW to promote their products, IME. I just don't see much news about print stuff at all anymore.

Arnwyn

First Post
I visit the front (news) page daily. The news sections that I exclusively read are:

- New at WotC
- d20 system recent releases (though I only look at print products, and ignore anything PDF)
- Magazines & Periodicals (mainly for Dungeon and Dragon)
- Other news
- Reviews (since that sidebar was removed)

I ignore everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads