• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Great EN World News Poll

Which news sections do you read? (Select all that apply).

• New at WotC (official releases, WotC site updates, etc.)

Votes: 352 91.9%
  • Community News (fan sites and resources, interviews, etc.)

Votes: 305 79.6%
  • d20 System (recent releases)

Votes: 318 83.0%
  • Software News

Votes: 133 34.7%
  • Magazine's & Periodicals (Dragon, Dungeon, e-zines, etc.)

Votes: 210 54.8%
  • Books & Novels (specifically D&D related)

Votes: 89 23.2%
  • Other News (GenCon, random bits)

Votes: 266 69.5%
  • Reviews (recent reviews here and elsewhere)

Votes: 280 73.1%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowslayer

Explorer
I dunno. I pretty much scan the whole thing every day. If a story, release or review interests me, I click. All I can say is that fiction and magazines are probably the ones I rarely, if ever, click on.

Its good the way it is, IMO.

Keith Robinson

Explorer
Ticked all except for Books & Novels and Software - I pretty much look over what's there for any news and gossip etc. I liked the changes you made earlier this year (or was it late last year?) where you gave more snippets of information for each item, as it helped me make more informed decisions about the stuff that did and didn't interest me.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
I read the reviews if they're EN World reviews--I don't read the RPGnet reviews or anything.

Draumr

First Post
I miss the recent reviews and active threads sections that used to be on the right hand side of the news page.

soulforge

First Post
I also miss the recent threads section. Is that one definitely getting removed? I'd vote for that as my most missed feature of the front page.

Davelozzi

Explorer
Morrus said:
would you read the d20 News section if it wasn't pretty much a list of recent PDFs these days?

This describes me exactly. I used to read the d20 news all the time, but now I almost always gloss over it.

Morrus said:
Would you read the Reviews section if it had more or less blurb there?

I read it anyway but prefer less blurb.

Finally, regarding magazines, I read it, but frankly I only care about Dungeon and Dragon, not about e-zines and the like.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
soulforge said:
I also miss the recent threads section. Is that one definitely getting removed? I'd vote for that as my most missed feature of the front page.

That's not the subject of this poll, but there's a thread in Meta about it if you want to know more about that situation.

The "d20 News" section is gonna need a second poll, I think. I'm getting the impression that a lot of people like it, but aren't interested in a laundry list of the latest PDF releases. I'll poll that separately after I get the results I need from this one. Thanks, folks! :)

Davelozzi

Explorer
Seeker95 said:
My only news page suggestion would be to re-work the polls. A poll shows up on the news page, and it will let me vote in it from there. But oftentimes, after voting, I learn that I voted "wrong" based on the information in the "first post" of the poll.

I agree with this, and would go so far as to say it does a disservice to the poll results to allow voting from the news page. Furthermore, I think the options are a bit confusing. For example, I often click on "Discuss" when I really mean to read the discussion (i.e., click on "This poll has X replies". I'd rather see "Post Comment" or something similar replace to "Discuss" button.

tkkn123

First Post
I checked everything except for "Software News" and "Books and Novels" although I pretty much read everything that strikes my interest.

Whatever happened to the section along the right-hand side that lists the recent messageboard posts? It's usually under the list of recent reviews. I find this section to be of most interest because it gets me coming back to the website several times a day just to see what people are talking about on the boards at any given moment.

~tkkn123

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
tkkn123 said:
Whatever happened to the section along the right-hand side that lists the recent messageboard posts? It's usually under the list of recent reviews. I find this section to be of most interest because it gets me coming back to the website several times a day just to see what people are talking about on the boards at any given moment.

It's mentioned earlier in this thread, along with a request to please make that sort of thing (and the polls) a separate discussion. It'll help me if the thread stays on subject for what I'm trying to do. I'll cover other issues in later questions and polls, but I find it a lot easier to just stay organised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads