• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E The Haunting of Calithil Manor

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
[sblock=OOC]Well, Zinnelis is at 1 hp at the moment. He isn't going to be around long. We might just have to run if it isn't even possible for us to defeat her. I only have 9 charges left on the wand, and maybe 1 scroll (I would have to check). After that there is nothing Zinn can do against incorporeal at all.[/sblock]

FrancisJohn

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]
Ignore this if this is too meta-gamey, but here are some random thoughts of me thinking outloud:

Well running right now is definitely the best option. Maybe we could camp outside for a night, recharge, go back to Venza, buy some shiny new things.

I mean our missing man might die, but we save our skin and could try again.

As far as beating the monster, we only might need to spread some ashes and human blood.

Theia can still cast obscuring mist to either provide a getaway or to hide our return. She has a scroll of burning hands, which only has a 50/50 shot of working on top of normal DC's and whatnot. I have a cure wand with 25 charges too. To heal or to hurt. I can spam healing you while you spam hurting ghost.

I think we can beat this, just not right away.

ealt:

what are your thoughts on leaving/healing/restocking?
what are your thoughts about removing some its defenses?
I know you may not be able to answer, but can this thing be beaten if we break the spell on the floor?

[/sblock]

ealt

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]
So here are my thoughts:
The ritual you were going to conduct was designed to remove the incorporeal template from the ghost, making the fight easier, but not defeating it outright. So in my original plan, the idea was to weaken it before the fight, however disturbing the necklace started the fight before you were able to finish. The biggest issue in the fight is your lack of meat to be honest. The spirit's attacks are quite strong, with even its most basic averaging 8 points of damage. I did design this encounter to challenge a group of five, and now we are down to two. If it were up to me, we would roleplay a retreat and end the adventure, giving appropriate rewards and avoiding a wipe. As a sidenote, this was not designed to be the final encounter of the adventure.
[/sblock]

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
[sblock=OOC]That might be wisest, then. They can report back in to Venza what they found. It would free up the characters to get Jago's story going over at MW.[/sblock]

FrancisJohn

Explorer
Theia Merryweather, Black Mage
[section]

Theia watches as Zinnelis almost get absolutely murdered. "Zinnelis! Let's get the hell out of here!" She wryly waves her arms and utters the words of another incantation. "Obscuro!" She calls forth a fog that envelops the creature, and Zinnelis too. "Run! I'll meet you outside!"

[/section]

[sblock=Actions]

Standard: Obscuring Mist, covering the creature and Zinnelis, but leaving a clear path for him to retreat.

[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]Damn, if we make it corporeal, I could cast web on it and it might get stuck you can shoot it to hell.[/sblock]

[sblock=MiniStats]Character Sheet

HP: 30/30 Nonlethal: ?
Conditions: None

Initiative: +12
Perception: +8

AC: 12 Flat: 10 Touch: 12
Fort: 5 Reflex: 4 Will: 3

Right hand: Light Crossbow
Left hand:

Dagger: Melee +1, 1d4-2, 19/x2, P
Crossbow: Ranged +5 1d8, 19/x2, P, 80 ft.
Ammo: 10/10 bolts remaining

Cantrips: unlimited/day
Dancing Lights "Scintillat"
Detect Magic "Exploro"
Guidance "Rectio"
Spark "Ignis"

Level 1: 5/day
Adhesive Spittle "Salivarius"
Charm Person "Paellicio"
Enlarge Person "Amplifico"
Obscuring Mist "Obscuro"
Summon Monster I "Invoco Primum"

Level 2: 4/day
Blindness/Deafness "Exoculo"
Glitterdust "Eluceo"
Summon Monster II "Invoco Secundum"
Web "Tela"

Hexes:
Evil Eye
Fortune (Used on: Leira)
Misfortune
Slumber

[sblock=Adventure Notes]
Transactions:
Family Ring
3 Scrolls (Glitterdust, Reduce Person, Burning Hands)
Used: Old Law Whiskey
Used: 1 use of shaving kit

Game Info:
All undead information

[/sblock][/sblock]

MerryMortician

Explorer
Aelspeth Noromiel, Novice Conjurer

Aelspeth realizes with a wince that she can hear blood pounding inside her aching head. Has she really been clenching her teeth this whole time?

Action. Now. Or die.

Theia's shout breaks Aelspeth of her panic-induced paralyzation. She turns as if to bolt for the door but hesitates once more. Moral dilemma. Save Zinnelis. Don't die. Her mind races, registering impulses, raw instinct in lieu of any developed thought. Through the adrenaline fog once clear fact materializes: Indecision will be the death of me.

[sblock=Action]Delay until Zinnelis appears. If Aelspeth's survival imperative allows, she'll want to see her companions exit with her. But if she sees Zinnelis fall dead or if she sees something suitably terrifying, she may ditch everyone. I want to see how ealt responds before I make a hard call about her actions. This is a fairly defining moment for Aelspeth.[/sblock]

[sblock=Aelspeth’s Mini Stats]Aelspeth Noromiel
HP: 15/18
AC: 13 (19) FF: 10 (16) T: 13 (15)
CMB: +0 CMD: 13
Fort: +3 (+5) Reflex: +5 (+7) Will: +4 (+6)
Special: Immune to magical sleep, +2 on saving throws against Enchantment
Perception: +2 S. Motive: +0
Initiative: +7
Conditions in Effect: +4 armor bonus (mage armor), +2 deflection and resistance bonuses (protection from evil)
Weapon in Hand: Longsword
Shift: 5 ft, 7/7 remaining
0 Level: Acid Splash, Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Mage Hand
1st Level: Grease, Unseen Servant, Protection from Evil, Color Spray
2nd Level: Glitterdust, Levitate, Levitate
Consumables: Wand of Mage Armor (-1 charge), Wand of Cure Light Wounds (-2 charges)[/sblock]

MerryMortician

Explorer
[sblock=A Thought]For all we know, she may be bound to that room, what with all the magic circles and such. We could either beat feet for home or we could test that idea and hope not to get one-shot. If her soul is bound within the room, or if she has to remain within a certain distance of her body, we may be able to regroup and release her. This is totally metagaming but it seems to me we're really discussing whether to continue the adventure or cut it short.[/sblock]

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
2qm1yle.jpg

Zinnelis Laediril, Elven Ranger (Level 2)
Calathil Manor
Late Afternoon
Round 3

Zinnelis couldn’t help but agree with Theia. He couldn’t fight this thing. As the fog rolled around him, he backed up, moving to withdraw, though keeping himself between the ghost and the ladies as they exited the room.

[sblock=Actions and Rolls]
Action: Withdraw action
Move:
Free:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Zinnelis Laerdiril Mini Stats]Zinnelis Laerdiril
AC: 16/13/13 CMD: 17
HP: 1/19
Arrows Available: 53; Cold Iron 60 (0/0 arrows retrieved)

Spells Prepared
None

Game Notes:
Used:
Wand Cure Light 1 charge
[/sblock]

FrancisJohn

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]As long as Merry is back in the picture, I say we got this. Let's get out... heal up, camp for the night. Come back. If it chases us out, so be it. Otherwise, we can take it down.

Goonies never say die.[/sblock]

Remove ads