• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Heretic of Wyre - Part II

Some questions that deserve answers (of a sort)

I have a question: is the dialogue in your story hour actual quotes from players, or do you do some "recreation with creative license"

Initially (when I was posting from sessions which occurred several months prior to my writing), my 'creative license' was employed rather more. As the posts began to reflect events more recently in the campaign, it diminished.

I tend to remember how something is said, more than the actual words, but I do keep pretty accurate notes.

Blood War--if there is one in your campaign, Sep?

Nothing as organized as that. Just aeons of mutual antagonism.

I did raise an eyebrow at the reference to Mostin as a "loose cannon"; they have those in Wyre?

No, but Shomei is very well travelled. Maybe she's been to some more advanced worlds.

Although "loose ballista" does have a certain ring to it :)

He critical hit the sword on a sunder? I thought items just like constructs were immune to critical hits...?

Actually, I put the asterisk in the previous post in the wrong place - the smite was a critical hit - Marc has a habit of not hitting stuff very often, but when he does, hitting it very effectively. I recall the smite doing eighty-odd points of damage.

[Edit: Marc demands an official apology. I forgot to factor in the double damage on the Holy Sword when it strikes an evil creature. It should have been 123 points of damage. Er, sorry Marc.]

The sunder itself was very lucky. Not so much on the damage (the greatsword had hardness 14 and 24hp), as on the opposed attack rolls: Eadric rolled high, and Ainhorr rolled low. Sigh.

Is natural reincarnation (as opposed to the spell) a common fate for souls in Wyre, or is this only effective against the presumably small group of people who've been reincarnated?

Aargh! Metaphysical speculation. Have you learned nothing, Grasshopper?

Nwm believes in a cyclical universe and reincarnation.
Eadric believes in a linear universe with a Beginning, Middle and End. He does not believe in reincarnation.
Mostin believes that consciousness, directed by Magickal Will, shapes reality.

I have no opinions on the matter, being of the view that the Truth is far beyond my feeble ability to comprehend...

Last edited:

Ryan Koppenhaver

First Post
Sepulchrave II said:

Aargh! Metaphysical speculation.

Phooey. Think of it as a hypothesis. Now we just need some free time for Mostin and a volunteer or three...

Have you learned nothing, Grasshopper?

You kidding me? I've got learning nothing down to an art form, bub. :D

I have no opinions on the matter, being of the view that the Truth is far beyond my feeble ability to comprehend...

Much as I love your story hour, Sep, I guess I'm glad I'm not one of your players. That sort of thing's likely to make my head explode, if I think about it too hard. :)

grodog

Hero
Great stuff, Sep, thanks for the two Nodality updates.

I'll be very curious to see where things go from here. You've got an interesting parallel between Mostin's flouting of the Great Convention and the "rules" which Graz'zt and Oronthon follow (at least in theory). The consequences of their collective choices will be very interesting reading =)

Cyronax

Explorer
This is a preemptive bump. This thread was almost 2/3 down the page..............this story is too good for that ......

Lovin it as always,
C.I.D.

grodog

Hero
Mostin's spells

So, Sep, have you had any chance to dig up or otherwise get copies of Mostin's spells for posting?

Just a friendly reminder :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads