• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Heretic of Wyre - Part II

If there are no Lantern Archons

Sorry, omit 'Lantern' from previous disclaimer. There are plenty of glowing balls in heaven - I was writing in haste. They are simply not part of the classical typology of angels, if one is to extend the metaphor.

Urthoon and Enitharmon are accompanied by "a phalanx of archons and devas."

In this case, the intention was Trumpet Archons and (Astral) Devas. Maybe a dozen Trumpet-Blowers and a hundred or so Devas.

Devas represent celestial 'muscle.' They bash fiends. I'm not dogmatic about the kinds of weapons they (celestials) bear either: not all Astral Devas have maces, not all Ghaele have +4 Greatswords etc. Some variation is nice.

Same goes for Demons e.g. Ainhorr's sword is a +4 Unholy Celestial Bane Flaming Burst Greatsword . If all Balors bore +1 vorpal blades, they'd make mincemeat of lesser celestials, be subject to continual efforts to Sunder their weapons, and would be completely unable to touch Solars in combat - which strikes me as a little cranky. Ainhorr is big (30HD), so his weapon is a little on the heavy side.

Rurunoth was a textbook Balor, except for his weapon (+3 Unholy Flaming). In the case of a 'typical Balor', I'd try to ensure that the total equivalence - i.e. +6 remained in line with that listed. More or less.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I love how your interpretation of the celestial hierarchy in DnD terms. :D

But now I have more questions. :eek:

I was looking at the summoning of Rurunoth again, and I was trying to work out the chances of him breaking free. Well, they aren't good.

First, Mostin drew a summoning diagram (why did he take 20? He has a spellcraft score in the mid-20's, and the DC is only 20. He could do it in his sleep.) This prevents the summoned demon from using SR to break free, and increases the DC of the Charisma check by 5.

Now, the DC of the Charisma Check is (15 + 1/2 of caster's level + caster's charisma bonus). Mostin was 15th level at the time, (I think) and had a Charisma of 12. So, with the summoning diagram bonus the DC is 15 + 7 +1 + 5 = 28.

Rurunoth has a Charisma of 16. This gives him a +3 bonus, which doesn't help a whole lot.

Am I reading the rules incorrectly, or did you apply house rules to make it more difficult? If I am reading them right, the rules probably need tinkering- it should be quite risky to have a Balor trapped in your cellar.

Last edited:

Mere Mechanics

Now, the DC of the Charisma Check is (15 + 1/2 of caster's level + caster's charisma bonus). Mostin was 15th level at the time, (I think) and had a Charisma of 12. So, with the summoning diagram bonus the DC is 15 + 7 +1 + 5 = 28.

Rurunoth has a Charisma of 16. This gives him a +3 bonus, which doesn't help a whole lot.

The PHB says:

...or a successful Charisma check (DC 15+ 1/2 its level + its Charisma modifier (italics mine)

This may have been errated, but I interpreted it as being

1) Badly Worded and
2) The 'It' referring to the captured creature, not the caster.

What I felt it should have read was:

'The Creature makes a Charisma Check with a DC of 15. It adds half its level or hit dice to the roll.'

I might be wrong, but it seems counterintuitive that a Succubus (Cha 20) would have more chance of breaking free from a diagram than a Balor (Cha 16).

With the +5 for the diagram, the DC becomes 20. Rurunoth needs to roll an 11 (+6 for HD, +3 for Cha) to break free.

On reflection, this seems a little too harsh on the conjurer. This needs tweaking, whatever way you look at it.

An obvious solution might be:

DC = 10 + (Caster Level + Cha mod.)- (Creature Level or HD + Cha mod.); with a +5 increase in the DC for a diagram.

This would have given a DC of 15, which seems about right (speaking from the gut here). It would also reflect the ability of a powerful spellcaster to enforce his Magickal Will upon lesser outsiders, whilst still pausing for thought when calling the big ones.

In fact, I think that's what I'll use from now on.

And (just reminded of the appendix in the 'Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth'), I think that a permanent diagram option would be nice also. Inlayed with precious metals.

I might give bindings some more thought.

I guess its all about how you see it working: even according to your calculation, a creature which needs to roll a natural 20 to escape will be more than 50% likely to have done so after 2 weeks - assuming a deal has not been struck.

I don't know why Mostin took 20. He is kind of paranoid. And anal. And theatrical.

Darklone

...But some interesting answers.

Sep, I like your view of the heavens. The devils didn't play a larger role till now in the battles... and are there some chaotic good greater beings in your world?

Jarval

Explorer
Darklone said:
...But some interesting answers.

Sep, I like your view of the heavens. The devils didn't play a larger role till now in the battles... and are there some chaotic good greater beings in your world?

I've been wondering this myself. What about other alignments? Do the various aspects of neutrality have outsiders representing them?

The Nodality - Part 1.

The devils didn't play a larger role till now in the battles

Oddly enough...

send the lok-nar to tempt mostin; he's ripe for the picking

The what?. But, talking of temptation, oddly enough...

I wonder if I'm becoming too predictable:rolleyes:

Feezuu reflected upon the news brought to her by Uzmi.

Mostin the Metagnostic, responsible for her death? It hardly seemed possible. He was, from reputation at least, a prudish book-worm. Apparently, he was somehow embroiled in the Rurunoth affair as well – he may have imprisoned the Demon, or perhaps slain him.

Even Graz’zt’s divinations had been unable to locate the Balor.*

Mostin, by Uzmi’s account, was an associate of the Paladin toward whom Graz’zt bore a particular vendetta. The one responsible for the death of Cerothumulos. The one who had turned Nehael. Eadric was now the leader of a revivalist faction within the Church of Oronthon, and had acquired some kind of Messianic status.

She had heard rumour of the troubles in Wyre, of course, but they hardly seemed relevant to her situation.

"Why now?" The Cambion had demanded of the Marilith.

"It is not your place to ask such questions, half-demon," Uzmi had hissed venomously.

Feezuu had almost lost her temper, and blasted the demoness.

Uzmi had sensed the antagonism, and smiled. "You would be well advised to keep your loathing for me under control. I am the Prince’s ambassador, and if you assail me you will have more than me to deal with. You will not engage Mostin until Graz’zt’s appointed time. Your opportunity for revenge will come soon, however."

"We seem to have a problem of authority," Feezuu spat. "I will not yield to yours."

"Nor I to yours," Uzmi replied. "It is not an issue. Graz’zt will shortly be sending another who will assume command."

Feezuu goggled. It would have to be a Balor, but which one?

"He risks celestial retaliation," the Cambion said. "And why shunt a Demon through, when he could have me call one?"

Uzmi sneered. "He is a brinksman. He will push it to the limit, and beyond. What does he care if a thousand of his generals perish in a war with heaven? But he has not revealed all of his plans to me. Perhaps the one he plans to send is beyond your ability to conjure, little witch."

He would not dare send Ainhorr, Feezuu thought to herself. But she had to concede the Marilith’s point. There were always more demons, as they said in the Abyss. She suddenly felt very expendable.

Mostin had an unexpected visitor.

She was a young woman, probably no more than thirty, although her exact age was rather difficult to gauge. She wore a hooded cloak of an indigo so deep than it was almost black. Her dark hair, cropped at the shoulder, framed a face with pointed features which bespoke a fey or elven heritage. In her hand she carried a rod of black iron that hid an unknown potency. She waited patiently on the doorstep of the Alienist’s manse, until Mostin had exited his extradimensional retreat.

He scried her, and wondered what she was doing there. Thoughts about the Injunction raced through his mind. He buffed, straightened his collar, and opened the door.

"Shomei. This is an unexpected pleasure," he said.

The woman strode in. "Firewine," she said. Mostin was unsure whether she addressed him, or one of the numerous unseen servants who waited in attendance. She walked into his drawing room and sat in his favourite leather armchair, resting her chin upon her hands, her rod upright beneath them. She was, as usual, intense and preoccupied.

"Well. Did you or didn’t you?" She asked. Shomei always spoke a little too quickly for comfort.

Mostin tried to look blank and uncomprehending.

"There are rumours abroad in Morne that you stand in contempt of the Great Injunction," she said, peering at him.

"I would argue that I did not," Mostin replied smoothly, opening a cabinet and retrieving a dusty bottle and two glasses.

"Your continued association with this Oronthonian faction does little to enhance your reputation," Shomei observed. "I hope that you haven’t been drawn into the world of mundane politics, Mostin. It would be most unbecoming."

"Eadric is my landlord," Mostin answered. "And Soraine has been, also. One has to live somewhere, when one is on the Prime."

"Do not put too much store in your Transcendence, Mostin," Shomei said archly. "There are wizards who covet your mirror."

Mostin swallowed. "What is the purpose of your visit?" He asked.

"A routine inquiry," Shomei replied. "Your actions have aroused interest in certain quarters."

Mmm, Mostin thought, unsure what Shomei was referring to.

"Where is the Balor, Rurunoth?" She asked abruptly.

"Is he missing?" Mostin asked. "Perhaps he got lost."

"Mostin," Shomei said more slowly, "you are a loose cannon. Your actions are unpredictable and, in the extreme, perverse. As such, you are a worry to wizards and may cause concern in other quarters." The last words were spoken with exaggerated emphasis. "Powerful extraplanar entities take an interest when one casually disposes of a Demon of Rurunoth’s status. When one summons Barbazu on a regular basis. When one calls Planetars to the Prime. Are you following my drift, Mostin?"

"I am unaligned," Mostin said carefully. Ahh, those quarters, he thought.

"That is the problem that I am referring to," Shomei replied. "If you continue in this vein, sooner or later you will require patronage, Mostin. If you try to do it alone, without reliable help, you will come unstuck. I have acquaintances…"

"I am well aware of your ‘acquaintances,’ Shomei," Mostin said.

"But you understand that my dealing with them is in full consciousness – I am not easily duped or mislead. I have a certain sympathy with the diabolic, it’s true, but I’m hardly green or naïve. We – and they – simply have an understanding with one another. Their access to information is staggering, beyond even your conception."

"I doubt that," Mostin said.

"Perhaps I could demonstrate. A token of goodwill, shall we say?"

"Go on," the Alienist said suspiciously.

"Your defeat of Feezuu is well known in the higher echelons of the magical community in Wyre. It has gained you a certain degree of respect – which is no bad thing. But how long do you think will pass before the Cambion herself finds out that you were the one responsible. Her network is expanding."

"I have already given this much thought," Mostin said.

"She knows already, Mostin," Shomei said earnestly.

"How do you know?" Mostin asked, aghast.

"Not all of the Yugoloths in Graz’zt’s employ are effectively monitored by his own loyal vassals," Shomei explained. "Information passes quickly between the Abyss and the Hells."

"How long has she known?"

Shomei drew a pocket watch from her jerkin. "As we speak, around an hour. I knew that she would find out before the message was sent to her. Have you heard of Uzmi?"

Mostin wracked his brains. "A Marilith?"

"A Marilith," Shomei confirmed. "Formerly in the retinue of Lord Baphomet, but now engaged by Graz’zt. She is currently on probation. She is on the Prime with Feezuu."

Mostin raised his eyebrows. "And a wayward Daemon discerned this?"

"Yes, an Arcanaloth, named Xerulko. He leads sixteen companies of Yagnoloths in a mercenary agreement with Graz’zt. But the Prince does not trust him, so he has him watched. Xerulko is a potent sorcerer, however, and Graz’zt’s grip is not as strong as he likes to think. Demons are, ultimately, disorganized." Shomei spoke with unconcealed disdain.

"And Xerulko informed one of your ‘acquaintances?’" Mostin asked.

"He sold the news to Titivilus."

"And Titivilus is your lover?"

Shomei laughed openly. Mostin was surprised – it was a genuine, heartfelt mirth that was difficult to associate with one who had such dangerous connections. "I don’t really think ‘love’ entered the equation, Mostin."

The Alienist frowned "What do you mean, entered? Why past tense?"

"I don’t expect you to keep abreast of my Infernal dalliances, Mostin. Sometimes I hardly can myself. I allowed him to become bored with me."

Mostin looked quizzical.

Shomei smiled. "One does not ‘dump’ a Duke of Hell, Mostin. It is impolitic. The initiative could hardly have come from me, could it?"

"I suppose not," Mostin agreed. "Then how did you find out?"

"One of his messengers informed me. The Duke and I are still on amicable terms, and he owes me a few favours – his compact is not yet expired."

"You compacted a Duke of Hell?" Mostin was incredulous.

"Yes," she said, nodding. "It is not as hard as you might think."

"I won’t ask you what his price was," the Alienist said.

"No, it’s probably better if you don’t know," Shomei agreed. "The point is this, Mostin. Feezuu has powerful allies. You do not. You are vulnerable. I know that you find diablerie seductive and exciting – I certainly do. You have the strength of will and the wherewithal to tread that path, Mostin. Devils are poweful tools."

"A plough is a tool, Shomei. A Devil is an evil extraplanar monster."

"In any case," Shomei said. "Graz’zt has less interest in you than he does in the Paladin and the Succubus called Nehael."

The Alienist thought for a moment. "Hmm. I don’t suppose that you could be a little more specific about his plans?"

"Not really," she said. "But Graz’zt is not well-liked in the Hells – he is considered something of an upstart with ambitions far beyond his station. His actions are too wayward. He is not methodical. He is not efficient."

"He is a Demon, Shomei. What do you expect? And he is effective for all of his quirks. He has consolidated power quickly since his release."

She shrugged and stood up. "Consider this an offer," she said. "If you wish for patronage, the Lord of the Fourth extends his hand in friendship."

"Belial?" Mostin asked, confused. "I thought that Dispater was your patron."

"I am merely a message-bearer, Mostin. I said nothing about my patronage, and my own inclinations are not open for discussion."

"Before you leave, Shomei. Your rod – what is its function?"

"You have your mirror, Mostin. I have my rod." She smiled, and abruptly vanished.

Sh*t, thought Mostin. That was a quickened teleport.

"We must strike now!" Mostin said to Eadric, Ortwin, Nwm and Tahl. They were standing on the field beneath Hartha Keep. "We cannot allow her to seize the initiative. You must see the need for this, Eadric. She has called a demoness of great power – greater than Cerothumulos. Than Rurunoth, maybe. And they are holding back until they are fully prepared."

"Mostin, I…"

"NOW dammit. If they ‘port in and catch us singly, then we’re all dead."

"Is this Shomei reliable?" Ortwin said. "She is an Infernalist."

"I believe so," Mostin replied, exasperated. "I don’t doubt that she has other motives. But we go back a long way."

"What was her price, Mostin?" Eadric asked.

"None," Mostin replied flatly. "Although she suggested that I might benefit from a diabolic patron."

"Mostin!" Eadric gasped.

"Don’t worry. I’m not about to take her up on it. But one must grab allies when they present themselves. I suggest that all of us retire to my Magnificent Mansion and make the necessary preparations. Nehael should remain within it – she is particularly vulnerable. Feezuu has met her, and she may be scried."

Eadric sighed. "Mostin, this is extremely bad timing. I have just received news that Lord Rede of Dramore was murdered in his bed last night. Naturally, I am the prime suspect. The fact that Nwm paid a visit to the Temple yesterday evening hardly helps matters." Eadric stared stonily at the Druid, who smiled apologetically back.

"Ngaaaaarh!" Mostin screamed. "I don’t give a sh*t. I’m going anyway. Eadric, if I have to compact Pit Fiends to do this, then I will. Do you read me?"

"You won’t," Eadric groaned. "I never said that I wasn’t coming. Just that it’s bad timing."

Mostin shook, and tried to calm himself. "Let’s just get things ready shall we?"

"And Mostin," Eadric said remonstratively, "No Devils. Do you understand?"

"Eadric, be assured that if I summon them, they will be of the strictly Pseudonatural variety."

"Is that good or bad?" Ortwin asked.

"I thought it was supposed to be the day after tomorrow," Mulissu complained. "I am not ready."

She stood in Mostin’s study, resplendent in a gown of blue samite interwoven with hundreds of precious stones. Around her neck, she wore a collar which bore a single sapphire of enormous proportions, which Mostin recognized as that which had once belonged to the Xorn Krygnasz. The mirror of Urm-Nahat showed the scene of the courtyard in her own castle.

"Who are these people, Mostin?" She asked.

"Nwm, you have met," Mostin said. "This is Ortwin of Jiuhu, who considers himself to be the greatest liar in the world. This is the Succubus, Nehael, of whom I informed you. This is Tahl the Incorruptible, lately of the Oronthonian Inquisition. This is Eadric of Deorham, who is the anointed proxy of the aforementioned deity. This is your own daughter, Iua, whom I trust you remember."

"Aah, yes," Mulissu smiled vaguely. She stepped forwards and arranged Iua’s hair, causing the girl to pout. "You should be careful of the company you keep, Iua," Mulissu said laconically.

"Well?" The Witch asked.

"The schedule has been moved forwards a little. I hope you don’t mind too much."

"If we could get this over with, then I can return to my work," Mulissu sighed. "What is the plan?"

"We have a Marilith to contend with, in addition to those foes that I had previously determined."

"Mostin…"

"We are more than adequately equipped to deal with any threat which presents itself," Mostin said. "We have more firepower than I have seen gathered together since…well, for a long time, anyway. What can you prepare, Mulissu?"

"I was thinking along the lines of Reality Maelstrom, Finger of Death, Great Shout, Horrid Wilting and Disintegrate - obviously. I also have the spell of Skeletal Deliquescence which is rather amusing. And the excellent, if unpredictable, Prismatic Spray."

"What about the ‘Big Ones?**’" Mostin asked tentatively.

"Power Word, Kill, Dominate Monster and Gate," she replied nonchalantly.

Great Goddess, thought Nwm. Who is this woman?

"Before I do anything, Mostin, I absolutely insist on being rendered invulnerable to Acid, to be warded against Death effects and to be Mind Blanked. There’s no point in saying that you don’t have the last spell – I’ve seen your books, remember?"

Mostin grumbled. That was one less big sonic that he’d have.

"Where would you open a Gate?" Ortwin asked Mulissu.

"Obviously, Heaven," Eadric replied.

"Hell," Mostin said. "Oops. Did I just say that?" He smiled innocently at the Paladin, who shook his head and sighed. Mostin grinned. Sometimes, Eadric was an easy mark.

The discussion on exactly how they deployed their combined spell potential took two hours.

All of them rested.

"The Marilith may be able to summon more Demons," Mostin cautioned them. "The Bar-Lgura also may be able to bring in others of their kind. There is an outside chance that the Succubus may be able to drag a Balor into the fray - it is unlikely, but we should be prepared for the contingency. Even the Dretch can pull others of their ilk in – en masse, they can be annoying. Furthermore, it is possible that Feezuu herself has Bound more demons – she will not have had time to compact with them, however, so she may be unwilling to meet their demands for service."

Eadric groaned. He knew that this had to be done, but took no joy in it.

Tahl was stoical. He had agreed to act primarily in an auxiliary capacity – at least as far as his own spells were concerned. But he was a capable combatant, and his scourge would be deployed against the creatures it was designed to destroy. He already knew everything that Mostin was saying – for twelve years he had served in the Inquisition.

Iua sat methodically absorbing the information.

Ortwin shifted restlessly – eager to be underway and unconcerned with the details. Whatever happened, happened.

Nwm was prepared, and would be the mainstay in terms of support. He had several powerful summonings prepared in addition.

Mulissu sat and worried about her untended experiments.

"As soon as I scry her with the mirror," Mostin said, "she will become aware of the observation. We must act instantly, at that point. Each of us knows what to do. We have primary and secondary targets. We should begin the buffing procedures now."

Ortwin shook his head in desperation. Mostin was in militaristic mode – the Bard envisioned the Alienist with a map and a pointer, explaining tactics in detail.

Feezuu sat, aware of the sensor which had kept her under observation for several hours. Uzmi had warned her not to attempt to dispel it. The Prince had said that he would be observing her, for his own, inscrutable reasons.

Feezuu did not like it.

Suddenly, another sensor appeared to her inner sight. Within a second or two, all hell seemed to break loose.

Graz’zt smiled. The proffered bait had been accepted, and now the trap could be sprung. Xerulko would be well-rewarded – he had enjoyed the challenge of posing as a Cornugon.

But Graz’zt had not counted on Mulissu.

*I ruled that Rurunoth’s essence, imprisoned in a gem, was not subject to the discern location spell when the Balor himself was its target. This may seem arbitrary, but the tendency for discern location to be a game-breaker is well-known.

If discern location was directed toward "the pearl containing the essence of Rurunoth," that would be a different matter. Of course, only those who had actually seen the gem would be capable of such a spell.

**i.e. 9th level spells.

Last edited:

Remove ads