• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Heretic of Wyre - Part II

Jarval

Explorer
Re: The Nodality - Part 1.

Sepulchrave II said:
Graz’zt smiled. The proffered bait had been accepted, and now the trap could be sprung. Xerulko would be well-rewarded – he had enjoyed the challenge of posing as a Cornugon.

But Graz’zt had not counted on Mulissu.

Another great cliffhanger. Fantastic as always :)

Talaysen

First Post
Dang! I was expecting that Hethio would send assassins after our heroes - not Rede!

I see the Orthodoxy is truly falling. Pretty soon it'll be lost altogether, I daresay.

Mytholder

Firstly - I want you to know, Sepulchrave, that you are solely responsible for making me want to run D&D again, for the twenty pages of notes I've written up for a campaign, for the growing stack of d20 books I've bought, and for the hours I've spent hitting "reload" on this forum, hoping for an update.

Secondly...
This is your own daughter, Iua, whom I trust you remember."

"Aah, yes," Mulissu smiled vaguely. She stepped forwards and arranged Iua’s hair, causing the girl to pout.
"
I genuinely laughed out loud.

Thirdly...
that cliffhanger. Profanity profanity profanity. Wow.

Best. Story. Hour. Ever.

Enkhidu

Explorer
Sepulchrave,

I sincerely hope that our campaign is as enjoyable as yours must be when we reach that level of power...

Also, I have a question: is the dialogue in your story hour actual quotes from players, or do you do some "recreation with creative license" to drive home your points. I ask only because the dialogue is some of the most fun I've ever read, and I want to know what to be envious of: your players or your writing ability.

I can only hope that my story hour comes off half as well as yours does.

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:

tleilaxu

First Post
heh... will they escape the battle free of casualties?

am i right in understanding that the curia is murdering its own members to frame eadric?

the lok-nar is from an old movie called heavy metal, it is a big green ball that is the sum of all evil (so it says). but anyway it can be whatever you want!

if i were mostin and somebody offered me mondo power i'm not sure i could refuse...

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
It's not the Curia who is trying to frame Eadric- it is the bishop of Hethio.

Look back at the membership of the Curia:

the Bishops of Gibilrazen, Hethio, Jiuhu, Kaurban, Mord, Thahan, Tomur and Tyndur; the Inquisitor General and the Grand Master of the Temple Knights; and “One Devout Layman” – a member of the laity selected for demonstrating particular holiness and faith. The last position is currently held by the Marquis of Iald.

Melion, the Inquisitor General, is dead, and Tahl, arguably his legitimate successor, is the one who broke Eadric out of jail. The Grand Master of the Temple Knights, Lord Rede of Dramore, is also dead. He died just before resigning due to reasons of conscience.

Gibilrazen, Hethio, Mord, Thahan and Tomur voted for Eadric's impeachment. Hethio, of course, is a liar and a murderer. I don't think we've heard at all of the other four bishops who voted against Eadric.

Kaurban and Jiuhu voted against the impeachment. I don't think they really have any problem with Eadric. The Marquis of Iald, who also voted against it, certainly doesn't- he later seceded from the Church in protest against the corruption of the Church leadership.

The bishop of Tyndur abstained, but is now a supporter of Eadric, voting against any and all Curia decisions.

So the Curia is diminished and divided. The bishop of Hethio is taking the initiative, certainly, but I doubt any of his fellow bishops would stomach his tactics.

And what happens when someone investigates Lord Rede's death with the appropriate divinations? They found the identity of the Prelate's assassin pretty easily. Who do you think the Temple Knights will support when they learned who killed Lord Rede, and why?

No, bishop Hethio is going down. And when he does, opposition to Eadric from within the Curia will collapse.

madriel

First Post
Cheiromancer said:
It's not the Curia who is trying to frame Eadric- it is the bishop of Hethio.

And what happens when someone investigates Lord Rede's death with the appropriate divinations? They found the identity of the Prelate's assassin pretty easily. Who do you think the Temple Knights will support when they learned who killed Lord Rede, and why?

No, bishop Hethio is going down. And when he does, opposition to Eadric from within the Curia will collapse.

I don't think it'll be quite that easy, Cheiro. Oronthon's messengers are the ones to respond to divinations and they aren't exactly on speaking terms right now. If Hethio can whip the Orthodox members into enough of a frenzy, they might not get around to actually performing divinations. The others may assume Mostin is interfering with the results of the divinations.

Hethio may accuse Rede posthumously of betraying the church and say that he acted precipitously to stop some sort of treachery. Religious zeal can blind any man to the truth.

Remove ads