• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Heroes of Icemist (SmallBeginnings 2)- Interlude update 2/21/2008!

fett527

First Post
Tamlyn said:
That d20 is extremely cool! I need to get one to keep my 18 month-old out of my minis.

By the way, I too thoroughly enjoyed the previous SH and am very excited to see what I can steal and throw at my victims, errr... players!

~Tam

Welcome aboard Tamlyn, always great to get responses from new readers!

dshai527

First Post
Okay, so I was sitting in my hotel room in St. Louis and decided to get some writing done and this is what I came up with.

"Enk is stupid."

So I send it off to Enk to see what he thinks and this is what he says.

"I think I remember it more like this, 'D'Shai is really stuid!'"

I look it over and decide that it doesn't fit the character voice as we have established thus far and change it to..."Enk is incredibly stupid!" This looks right so I send it off to Fett for a proof read and second opinion and this is his response to Enk and myself.

"That about covers what happened, but it should be expanded with examples like..'Enk is incredibly stupid because he hangs around with D'Shai!'"

And after much debate we would post....."Enk is stupid!"
End of story.

This isn't what happened, but it is close to what really happens. hehe

Enk&D'Shai

First Post
D'Shai, they aren't going to call.

Of course they will.

No, they won't.

Yes, they wil.

Look, can we argue about this later? We've got a post to make.

I've got an opening at 8:22 tomorrow.

Alright, that's another notch on the HATE-O-METERTM. Anyway... Hi folks! Here's something you've probably been waiting for: another post.

And if you haven't been, please don't tell us. Enk's frail ego couldn't take another blow of cold reality this week.

I hate you

What?

Nothing.

Anyway, they're going to call.

D'Shai, you're old, overweight, and out of shape. They are not going to call.

Yes they will.

Just do the TotD.

Tip o' the Day: Anybody can declare themselves eligible for the NFL draft.

And on with the show!

Ander grimaced as he rubbed his leg and swore softly to himself. Bones, but its been a long while since I’ve spent this much time in the saddle, he thought as he slowly settled himself on the hard packed earth. The woodsman looked around at the still growing throng of people, shambling sleepily about as they emerged from wagons and tents still in the shadow of Tor’s great wall, and sighed. Still, a month on horseback will be worth it if we can get inside these walls today and find her.

A now familiar chorus of snorts brought him back to the present, and he turned to glance at Worm and Pack. The two slept soundly together, Pack’s curly halfling head resting on his adopted brother’s half-orc bicep. Ander stifled a chuckle at the scene, partly because the halfling’s choice of pillows was larger around than Pack himself, but mostly because - of the pair - the smaller of the two provided the larger of the snores. Not too far distant, Brother Theo sat in silent prayer. And, as he had every morning since the companions entered the lowlands of Tor, Ashrem had disappeared before sunrise to keep up his appearance as a wandering beggar.

For a long moment, the woodsman relaxed – the companions’ morning ritual had grown comfortable for the young man – but, when he felt his thigh twinge again, he reluctantly moved to correct the problem. Kicking his legs out in front of him, he stretched, unsuccessfully biting back a painful grunt.

“Oh you poor young man,” said an elderly woman passing by in the morning light. “Are you alright?”

Ander gave the old woman a half smile as he waved her away. “Yes, Avó,” he said, using the old Ionian term of respect. “Just tired and sore from riding.”

The old woman smiled a wrinkly smile and started away. Ander watched her for a moment; I wonder how Grandmother is doing? She suddenly turned over her shoulder, “You look familiar, young man. Do I know you from somewhere?”

“I’m afraid not, Avó.” Seemingly satisfied by the woodsman’s answer, the old woman disappeared behind a wagon. Half a heartbeat later, Ander heard Ashrem’s whisper from behind him.

“Ander, all the gates are as the main gate here: crowded, well guarded, and under close inspection. I shall have to find another way in, perhaps after nightfall.” The scout paused. “I also suggest that I take your armaments with me to keep them from being confiscated. My… ‘enhancements’ to everyone’s travel papers were adequate for the patrols in more outlying regions, but I doubt my dabbling will endure the scrutiny of the trained eyes of the gate watch.”

Ander nodded in agreement, “Understood. Let’s do it now while everyone else is still busy waking up. Can you get Brother Theo while I take care of these two?” The woodsman rose gingerly to his feet and toed first Pack and then Worm. “Time to get up. Ashrem needs our weapons so we don’t get them taken away when we go in,” he said in low tones.

Pack yawned in response, and silently began rummaging through his rucksack, but Worm gave a haughty sniff as he stood. “Hold on Pack,” he said, a little louder than the woodsman liked, “You want us to do what?”

“Give your weapons to Ashrem. If not, there’s a good chance they’re going to confiscate them at the gate.”

“You want us to go into Tor – Tor! - with no weapons, to find a girl who we know is in trouble, and who, for all we know, might be wanted for killing someone? Oh, that’s smart.” Worm looked to be on the verge of a belly laugh. “Anyway, I’d like to see some puny watchmen try to take this without my say so!” The half-orc brandished his weapon, a club that was more tree trunk than truncheon.

“I don’t think they will, Worm,” rumbled Theo as he joined the conversation with Ashrem, looking somewhat helpless, in tow. “I’d say your club won’t cause any more stir than you will. Ander’s staff will be fine as well. It’s iron that they are interested in. The capitol is still reeling from a steel shortage since the Daltowers closed their forges to the surface.”

“Which means your armor would be the first to go, Theo,” Ander interrupted, trying to stop the ever louder conversation before it drew even more unwanted attention. “So we’re in agreement – Ashrem will find a way in by himself with everything they’d confiscate so we’ll have it all on the inside. Right?”

“Bah!” Worm said as he walked away, obviously disinterested in the topic knowing he would still be armed. Theo, however, crossed his arms and peered relentlessly at the woodsman and scout.

“Ander, I agreed to the phony papers to get us through the countryside. Everyone knows that the Dukes and Barons are rotten to the core. But this is Tor, and if the King has decided that his armies need good armor and weapons, then it’s our duty to give them when asked.”

“Look Theo…”

“I also don’t like the idea that Ashrem needs to sneak into town like some criminal. I understood when he disguised himself in the country so as not to scare the folk who couldn’t tell him from a demon, but there is a feloine embassy here! Why should he keep doing now?”

Ander glanced at the scout, who gave a slight shake of his head and closed his sad, feline eyes as he moved a few paces away. Ander sighed and spoke softly: “There’s a lot about Ashrem you don’t know, Brother, and it’s not my place to tell you. Just trust me – and trust him - for now. As for the King? I think we did our part for his armies with what we donated last fall. We’ve done enough.” He paused for a moment, “And if Aurora is in as much trouble as I think she might be, I’d rather be prepared for fight."

The woodsman watched as the priest's emotions played across his face. Then, with a scowl, the older man turned and began removing his aketon as he made his way to the rest of his armaments. Ander ran his fingers through his hair and closed his eyes.

He stood there for a moment, rubbing his temple with his right hand, until he felt Ashrem’s presence behind him. "I will need your equipment as well, Ander," the scout said. A moment later he added, "I overheard your reply to Brother Theo's objection to my subterfuge. I appreciate your trust."

"You should tell the others, Ash." Ander said quietly as he shrugged off his studded leather jerkin. “A secret like that’s going to come out eventually.”

“Perhaps.” Ander could hear the regret in the scout’s voice, and turned to look at his friend.

“People have done worse, Ash,” he said as he locked eyes with the feloine. An uncomfortable silence followed.

"Brother Theo's anger is well placed.” Ander was almost glad for Ashrem’s change of subject. “I am glad I did not mention the fact that it was his stories of his time guarding these walls that will enable me to sneak through tonight."

"I think it would be best if you never mention that," the young man said with a smile. “We’ll meet you at the inn later?"

“I will arrive at the Golden Gander not long after sunset,” said Ashrem as Ander’s armor disappeared into the scout’s magical bag, “assuming, of course, that Brother Theo’s stories prove still true.”

“Stay careful.”

“You as well. I overheard your conversation with the old woman. It may be best not to use native Ionian when the truce between this country and that is so fragile.”

"
Don't worry, I'll let Pack do the talking."

"You say that as if you had a choice in the matter," said the feloine with a smile in his eyes; and with that, he was gone.

See you on the inside, my friend.

“What do you see, Pack?”

The bard, from his perch atop his brother’s shoulders, shaded his eyes from the noonday sun. “Not much more than last time, Ander,” he said. “Or the time before that. It’s like the line hasn’t moved since this morning.”

“This is ridiculous,” said Ander.

Theo rumbled a reply from the rear: “Looks like things don’t change. My guess is that the only people getting in today are ones willing to pay a little extra to whoever’s on duty. It was always against regulations, but that didn’t mean it didn’t happen.”

“Wait!” said Pack, “I think I see something!”

“What?”

“Oh, it’s just another wagon cutting in front. Never mi… whoa!”

“That’s it!” growled Worm as he pushed past Ander, nearly knocking the young man off his feet. The huge half-orc plowed into the crowd, leaving a gap behind him. “Everybody move!” he roared. Unsurprisingly, the crowd did as ordered, leaving Ander and Theo scrambling to lead the companions’ horses through the hulking warrior’s wake.

“Impatient young fellow, isn’t he?” said Theo.

“I guess so,” Ander replied. The woodsman heard a shout from up ahead, and craned his neck to see Worm lift a yelling, red faced man and toss him casually aside, stopping only to bellow, “Everybody means you too!”

The rest of the companions’ journey to the front of the line was short. Ander could hear Theo rumbling half hearted apologies along the way to everyone within shouting distance. Blood and ashes, but I’m glad we’re not trying to be quiet about this… The woodsman had fallen slightly behind, coaxing Theo’s horses forward in the tumult as he led his own skittish mares.

When Worm threaded his way between two wagons, only one of which he had upended, Ander realized the horses would never make it through the opening. “Theo!” Go ahead and make sure Worm doesn’t do anything that might get him killed! I’ve got the horses!”

“On my way, boy!” Theo cried, handing the reins to the younger man and trotting ahead.

Ander slowly worked his way around the jam, alternately calming the horses and shoving past stunned onlookers. Sweat and grime covered his body by the time he finally looked upon the gates. He saw Theo, standing next to one of the guards, point in his direction. “That’s him, sir.,” he said loudly. “You can see his papers same as the rest of us as soon as he gets here.” As the ranger came near, Theo shot him a warning glare.

“That won’t be necessary,” said the guard, with a glance at a guard leaning heavily against the wall. The guard had a dirty Worm sized boot print on his chest. “Just move along. Now.” He waved another guard forward to help usher the horses through. Ander noticed that as this helper moved among the horses, he made a point to quickly pat down saddlebags, obviously looking for things to confiscate. He hadn’t found any by the time Ander made it through the gates with the horses in tow.

As a boy, Ander had been to Ion, the shining capitol of the south. At the time he thought it magnificent, but it paled in comparison to the beauty that was Tor. It lay nestled in a sloping valley encircling a single hill on which stood the castle proper; its polished white stones shining like a beacon. The city itself was cut into two by a mighty river which cut around the southern side of the castle hill. According to Theo’s tales, the Noble quarter lay to the north, where the rich and powerful had direct access to the castle and its protections, while Old City to the south, full of impressive stone buildings in sad repair, was as ferry ride away. After a moment, he realized he had been holding his breath.

“So this is Tor,” he hard Worm say. A glance in the half-orc’s direction showed the same awe Ander imagined on his own face a moment before. Pack, still atop his brother’s shoulders, had let his jaw drop. The woodsman imagined that it would not soon close.

“That it is, boys,” said Theo. “This place brings back memories.”

For a while, the companions stood silently, a rock in the middle of a stream of men and women entering the city and going about their business. Theo broke the silence. “I should go now,” he said, “like we planned yesterday. My father in law is influential enough he should be able to help us get to the bottom of Aurora’s troubles.”

“And then you’ll meet us at the inn?” asked Pack.

“Yes, sometime this evening. Probably late, but not too much after sunset. I won’t be able to catch the ferry back after dark anyway. Oh, I’ll take the horses too. Last I heard, an old friend of mine inherited his father’s stables, and I’d just as soon get the horses squared away with him.”

“Sounds good to me,” Ander heard himself say as he handed the reins to Theo. “Aurora and the rest of us will see you tonight.”

As the priest disappeared into the crowds, Worm began to chuckle. “Well, let’s get started!” he said, “we’ve got a city to see!”

Ander stood in the empty street under the slowly swinging sign. The blackened and sooty carving of a yellow goose squeaked and squawked in the light wind, the only remaining marker of the inn he had sought since he left Icemist. The charred husk of the Golden Gander lay in heaps and piles, and the ranger could still smell the stink of smoke.

Beside him, Worm grunted, “Looks like we’re going to have to find somewhere else to stay.” The woodsman nodded in silent agreement, too numb to do anything else. Where are you?

“She’s alright, isn’t she Ander?” Pack whispered. “She has to be!”

“Can’t very well stay here, can we?” the half-orc continued. Ander didn’t answer. She has to be!

“Ander,” said Pack, “I’m going to go find out when this happened. OK?” Ander nodded again, his eyes still fixed on the wreckage.

Worm raised his voice, “Pack, why are you always asking for permission from him?” Out of the corner of his glassy eye, Ander saw Worm jerk a thumb in his direction. “You know it’s a good idea, just do it!”

“Worm! Can’t you see…”

“Bah! I’m going to find somewhere for us to sleep tonight!” With that, the half-orc stomped away back the way the trio had come.

Pack moved toward Ander, “Don’t pay attention to him, Ander, he’s just…”

“He’s just right Pack. You’d better go. I’ll stay here.”

Pack gave the woodsman a quizzical look, but trotted off down the street, leaving Ander in solitude. You’re not dead! For how long he stood alone, he did not know. I’d know if you were dead!

When Pack returned sometime later, he wore a worried look and carried a rolled parchment. “Ander, I’ve got some good news and some bad news. Remember the killings that Aurora told us about? The ones she was worried they were going to accuse her of? The city watch doesn’t want her for them.”

“Tell me the bad news.”

“Who they do want,” said the bard as he handed the parchment to the young man. Ander unrolled it to look at his own face.

“They want you.”

Tamlyn

Explorer
Very nice. Way to keep them on their toes. How did this come across at the table. Were you able to drop this on them at the end of the session to really keep them squirming for a few days?

~Tam

Dungannon

First Post
Yah!! An update!! With an interesting plot twist, too. :)

And don't worry D'Shai, if Clarett can get drafted in the 3rd round, anything's possible. :p

Remove ads