The Hexblade (Essentials Warlock) is up!

Obryn

Hero
I don't like the Infernal at-will. Necrotic damage has to be one of the worst damage types to deal; very few things are vulnerable (are any?) and tons of things are resistant (any undead.)
Ew, yeah. On the other hand, it's not like that at-will is hugely more interesting than Eldritch Bolt...

-O

Jack99

Adventurer
MORE importantly, can we get an interesting bet out of it?

You really enjoyed your time as Bieber?

Either way, I like the new warlock. Simple and straight to the point while retaining flavor. I love how they made special pactblades for the warlock, so that the choice of pact isn't decided by how much damage you want to deal - my guess is that the pact "dagger" won't be doing d4 damage.

DracoSuave

First Post
[MENTION=11821]Obryn[/MENTION]

The Pact weapon doesn't appear to be magical, it's stated to use the enhancement bonus of the implement you are using.

I don't like the Infernal at-will. Necrotic damage has to be one of the worst damage types to deal; very few things are vulnerable (are any?) and tons of things are resistant (any undead.) If it was fire and necrotic then we can talk. Also, the rider seems kind of bland. Would have preferred something more thematic to hell and stuff. The general concepts, though, I like.

Then use the eldritch bolt instead?

Obryn

Hero
I bet Versatile Expertise already exists.
On the tiers > On the 5's.

Bonus effect, even minor > no bonus effect at all.

Class with focus on weapon OR implement > class which needs both.

So yeah, it exists. But there's a reason I gave out Expertise for free in the past, and have stopped giving it for free now. The old expertise feats were simple math patches. The new ones are math patches with style.

Needing separate weapons and implements isn't beneficial at all - it's been a class handicap from the beginning of 4e, usually due to an extra magic item tax. Needing to take two expertise feats, or a poor cousin to the new expertise feats, because a class has mixed weapons and implements is a mechanically unjustified oddity. Unless you're going to argue that swordmages were so powerful they needed to be kept down in comparison to other classes?

-O

DracoSuave

First Post
On the tiers > On the 5's.

Bonus effect, even minor > no bonus effect at all.

Class with focus on weapon OR implement > class which needs both.

So yeah, it exists. But there's a reason I gave out Expertise for free in the past, and have stopped giving it for free now. The old expertise feats were simple math patches. The new ones are math patches with style.

Needing separate weapons and implements isn't beneficial at all - it's been a class handicap from the beginning of 4e, usually due to an extra magic item tax. Needing to take two expertise feats, or a poor cousin to the new expertise feats, because a class has mixed weapons and implements is a mechanically unjustified oddity. Unless you're going to argue that swordmages were so powerful they needed to be kept down in comparison to other classes?

-O

I can't say the new ones aren't good, they are. I like them.

And weapliment users currently have staff expertise to help them along... and it's actually pretty decent to turn a staff into a reach weapon.

thewok

First Post
It looks like they have improvements to their pact weapon class feature at levels where they normally get an encounter power. These might include new pact-specific encounter powers.
I'm thinking it'll be like Power Strike or Backstab. "You gain another use of your Pact Weapon encounter power per encounter."

Remove ads