• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Horizon Walker -- as a caster? [Druid]

orbitalfreak

First Post
I was reading the 3.5 DMG yesterday and came across the Horizon Walker (p. 189-191). It's a class that gets bonuses each level dealing with certain terrain types. The class as written looks like it was intended for a Ranger, but I'm thinking that the flavour of the class would apply equally well to a travelling Druid. What I'm interested in is reworking the class to fit a druid in a balanced manner.

I'm wanting to give the class a "+1 level of existing class" spell progression. Since the class would be a spellcaster, Will should become a Good save.

Would dropping the hit die from d8 to d6, and dropping the BAB from Good to Bad be a good balancing factor? Class requirements would also add "ability to cast 3rd level spells" to reflect its "spell caster" nature.

Code:
          "Ranger" version      "Druid" version
BAB         Good (+1/level)       Bad (+0.5/level)
Hit Die     d8                    d6
Good Saves  Fort                  Fort Will
Skills      4/level               4/level
Special     Terrain Mastery       Terrain Mastery
                                  +1 Spellcasting level
Thoughts?

LGodamus

First Post
sounds pretty sweet to me. When I first saw that class I was thinking about adding it to my druid , but the no spell progression thing made me forget it pretty quickly.

Technik4

First Post
I'd change the saving throw to Will and change BAB from Good to Medium (as a druid). I would give spellcasting every level, but give Terain or Planar Terrain every other level. The weird thing is that most of the terrain bonuses are attack bonuses vs certain types of creatures, which doesnt help a druid, especially as he is still getting only medium BAB.

I'm not sure its easily adaptable the way you are trying, as reducing the BAB to Bad and keeping all the masteries makes most of the masteries worthless. I dont know. Honestly it seems like it should gain spellcasting ANYWAY since it is, as you said, designed for rangers (at least partly).

Technik

Remove ads