• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Thomas Shey

Legend
Based on many of the posts I've read on on a number of threads here in over the past few months, the percentage of bad players DMs would not want to play with would be far higher than 30%. Really, 30% doesn't seem too back. Take almost any activity and randomly sample others engaging in that activity. How many of them are you going to want to spend 4-6 hours with 1-4 times a month for most of a year year (based on typical 5e campaign).

Maybe so, but I'm betting the ratio of GMs who can't find other players is far lower than players who have limited options in GMs.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Won't YOU help stop bad GM'ing?
sad dog GIF

Hussar

Legend
I'm not sure that signifies much?

I wonder what the percent of people are who have had poor experiences with restaurant servers? With doctors? With teachers? With neighbors? With airline check in? With <insert>?

I will admit this slides over the question of how many DMs they had, but it feels like it means that well under 30% or DMs are bad. And I'm guessing the percent doesn't compare too unfavorably at all with many other things. (Which still doesn't mean improvement can't be made).
It's more the response that any problem at the table defaults to the player because DM's are infallible. It's a pretty common thread whenever conversation turns to potential problems in the game. While I'm sure 100% of us have had poor experiences with restaurant servers or teachers, that would most likely be because we deal with far, far more servers and teachers than we have DM's.

My point was always that players not fitting with a particular DM is a far more common issue that people give it credit for.

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
Man, that never gets old.
It really doesn’t. And it’s topical in a way that my personal favorite weird song isn't at the moment:

It’s relevant in a meta way, in that Daniel Amos were a Christian band who started off, three albums before this, as country. They went new wave and kept evolving after that. A listing of the genres they went through would apply to my changing gaming style preferences. But I’m not baffled by any of the gaming style threads.

For that I’d need this:

Re: Rocket Packs, I've been reading a lot of 1930s and 40s pulp scifi so far this year. The real future has been disappointing people pretty consistently for - well, forever. It's never as good as hoped for, but at least it's frequently not awful in the ways predicted by the past. And hey, you can in fact have a robot vacuum your room in 2024, and give your cat a ride while doing so.

Also, I'm not the only one who feels an urge to riff the video clips there, right? So much comfortably familiar MST3K material on display.

Remove ads