The Illusion - PrC for gnomes and illusion lovers - overhaul

trentonjoe

Explorer
Re: hmmm

mseds99 said:
i like the idea a great deal, but i think the class is extremely overpowered.

I really like the abilties, but it's not costing enough.

Personally, I would make add the requirement to make the charcater choose another class to be prohibited, reflecting the continuing specialization the character has in the illusion school.

I agree.

I thought therer was going to be a Charisma penalty after reading about sullen Nebin in the intro. Maybe even a strength penalty as they themselves become more of a figment? The barring of a second school is probably the option though. Evocation or Conjuration seem appropriate.

I'd dump the weapon of Illusion (loanable and mirror image). THe loanable version seems abusable and the mirror image is a reproducable effect.

Even without those your PrC is pretty powerful. Maybe you should stretch this out to a 10 level class and slow down the gaining of cool new abilities.

All-in-all I think the new abilities are awfully neat. Keep up the good work.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Ok, I've stretched it to ten, and it does indeed look more sane this way.

I don't think that the Loanable weapons idea is too abuseable. It has to come out of the 1/day per 2 levels (I'm changing it in light of the level expansion), so it can be done a max of 5 times per day, provided The Illusion doesn't want a personal weapon or do the Mirror Image ability.

Now remember that this can only be applied to weapons that the Illusion is proficient in. This class is mostly geared toward wizards, so the most you're going to have to worry about is the heavy crossbow, damage-wise.

Loaning the weapons might only be useful in situations where someone doesn't have a ranged weapon, or needs something, anything, than can hit a higher damage reduction.

I'm not quite sure how the Mirror Image ability is reproduceable, would you care to enlighten me?

Privateer

First Post
Doesn't seem overpowered or underpowered, and I've always wanted a useful prestige class for illusionists. I love the mirror image/weapons of illusion ability... the flavor text is the humor I want to see more of... any chance of the Imaginary Friend PrC being seen on these boards?

Overall, it doesn't seem that off from the T&B PrCs... however, a 1/2 spell progression would be needed if it werent for the other prohibited school(s).

Bravo, I know I could never do any better ;)

Remove ads