The importance of being a 20

Rowenoake

First Post
ASI is better if attacks > 1.

That's an interesting assertion. Could you please provide the math to back it up?

Also please note that smart use of savage attacker may actually make it better when considering multiple attacks than the chart would indicate.

Another interesting assertion. Could you please provide an example of "smart use" that would improve the performance per attack?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I'm sure you are smart and can find at least an example of both to convince yourself with.

That's an interesting assertion. Could you please provide the math to back it up?

Another interesting assertion. Could you please provide an example of "smart use" that would improve the performance per attack?

smbakeresq

Explorer
I tried Savage Attacker with modifications - you reroll all dice, and you must take the second roll. Sometimes you re-fail, sometimes you hit a kill shot. Its exciting doing it that way, the players liked it. The rogue that used it got good use out of it simply because its once per turn, so he could use twice per round sometimes. The PAM Paladin didn't get to use it as he rolled high enough that he didn't want to risk a bad reroll.

I am thinking it might just work better if it worked like the 4E Barbarian Power, Ancient Berserker Warband IIRC, where it just turned 1's into the max roll. Right now there as officially written its questionable before you get to a 20.

TheLoneRanger1979

First Post
Addendum:
Sorry to necro this one. But, things have changed a bit. My PC has acquired a magical long bow and is the only one in the party that is proficient in using it. My current array is:
18-13-14-12-14-10
I have an ASI coming up, that would have went to the 18 (to get it up to 20), but now i am reconsidering bumping my dex a bit, by taking the athlete feat (+1 Dex). This would leave me with just one more ASI to go. I am not sure how would i use it, to bump Con to 16, or Str to 20. My PC as mentioned is mostly melee, but i play him as a hit and run character. Any thoughts on how should i use these 2 ASIs? I am already alert and resilient in wisdom.

smbakeresq

Explorer
DEX will have minimal effect UNLESS you decide to use the longbow more, which might be a good idea depending on what it is. STR is your main attack stat and the saving throw stat for your Battle Master maneuvers. If you use that longbow a lot then athlete and the DEX for the ASI. It depends on how you are playing it and the Battle Master maneuvers you have, some don't work with ranged attacks.

TheLoneRanger1979

First Post
Currently i run with Precision Attack, Maneuvering Attack and Evasive Footwork. I plan to open up with the bow at the start of each encounter (especially if allowed to stealth) and then use as part hit end run tactics. In example, i use mobile to disengage the foes if needed, and then pepper them with arrows from afar. I still don't know what the bow is, except that it is magical.

smbakeresq

Explorer
Bow will hit less since DEX isn't your main attack stat, STR is. If you are primary bow user, then DEX should be your focus, put the 18 there and then just use finesse weapons so you can use DEX as your main stat. If allowed to adjust (consult DM) flip the 18 into DEX, DEX fighters are perfectly viable now.

You can also be mostly melee with just dex weapons, the rapier is d8 just like a longsword. The Hit and Run angle can be covered with the two-weapon fighting if that's your style, that takes up your bonus action but you can get another attack in with full modifiers. Legolas fought with 2 daggers, or shortswords if you are being generous.

The bow is magical, so it should be your primary weapon. It uses DEX, so get that up if your DM doesn't allow you to switch.

Look at Pushing Attack, Trip attack and Distracting attack. Elusive is redundant with Mobile, and only applies to OppAtt. Pushing attack and trip attack can keep them away from you so you can shoot them more, and distracting attack works well if you are shooting into melee as your heavy hitters can then attack with advantage.

Last edited:

TheLoneRanger1979

First Post
Bow will hit less since DEX isn't your main attack stat, STR is. If you are primary bow user, then DEX should be your focus, put the 18 there and then just use finesse weapons so you can use DEX as your main stat. If allowed to adjust (consult DM) flip the 18 into DEX, DEX fighters are perfectly viable now.
I planned my concept around a STR based mobile character, that fights mostly with a 2 handed sword, but can switch to other methods as situation demands it. I looked to the 1E ranger for inspiration. The bow was never supposed to be my main weapon, it's sort of came out of the blue and just happened to be the one that can make most out of it for the time being.

You can also be mostly melee with just dex weapons, the rapier is d8 just like a longsword. The Hit and Run angle can be covered with the two-weapon fighting if that's your style, that takes up your bonus action but you can get another attack in with full modifiers. Legolas fought with 2 daggers, or shortswords if you are being generous.

Dexterity based fighting is exactly the reason why i didn't go full ranger for this concept. I wanted a fast and mobile, but also a strong well armed and armored warrior. Think of special forces of today, where each squad has at least one dedicated point man, marksmen and similar. If there were weapons between the long sword and the great sword, or if there was a fighting style that would allow for better use of the versatile property, i would probably go with that option. But as it is, two handed fighting seams to work best with a fast hit and run character that has maneuvers.

The bow is magical, so it should be your primary weapon. It uses DEX, so get that up if your DM doesn't allow you to switch.

Yeah, that is probably what i will do for the time being.

Look at Pushing Attack, Trip attack and Distracting attack. Elusive is redundant with Mobile, and only applies to OppAtt. Pushing attack and trip attack can keep them away from you so you can shoot them more, and distracting attack works well if you are shooting into melee as your heavy hitters can then attack with advantage.

Very good point. I still don't have mobile and will take some time to get it, but i would have overseen the redundancy. I had a plan to take enough classes in hunter ranger to get the escape the horde feature, but now that i think of it, that too would be redundant. If i can get mobile it kind of defines the purpose of having either elusive or escape. After all with 2-3 attacks per round and a possible action surge, i should be able the disengage out of most situations, or even disengage and re engage another target as needed, thanks to that extra movement. Trip and distract also look good. Thanks for that heads up mate! Now, only if i can live enough to get mobile! :D

smbakeresq

Explorer
Mobile is very good because it saves actions in combat. It saves your Battle Master abilities for other things.

I would still dip into ranger. You can get a second fighting style. I assume you took great weapon fighter (works best with greatsword) so with a dip you can pick up archery style for +2 to that longbow, mitigating the need to raise DEX to raise attack bonus.

Also, with Ranger, you can get horde breaker, for its free attack. It doesn't have to be a melee attack, so it works great with the bow. That's a full attack with all modifiers if 2 enemies stand next to each other. Or you could use Pushing attack to group them, then attack them both.

Remove ads