• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The inevitable playtest poll

How do you feel about the playtest?

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Where's the "more good than bad" and "more bad than good" options? You're asking us to choose between LG, CE, N, and Unaligned.

BryonD

Hero
I voted "hate".

That truly isn't remotely fair, but it was the closest to accurate option available.

There ARE some things that I like. I am really positive on the whole adv/disadv thing. But IF this was a solid representation of the final product then there is no way it would step up to being my system of choice. And that is a resounding step down from yesterday. So I voted negative.

I will continue to watch to see if things improve and will keep an open mind.

This isn't even a full playtest. It is a draft on a portion.

First time I have EVER voted Lemon on one of these polls. :rant:

But unfortunately despite being one of the early preference testers, I cannot download the stuff yet. :(:erm:
Hopefully soon though; it sounds like there is lots of things to tinker with.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Raith5

Adventurer
Its hard to assess the cut down foundation of a system. I respect the basic/simplified 3rd ed feel and I think they have captured what they set out to do. But after playing 4th ed I want (and I am waiting) for the broader options that 4th exposed me to. I am not sure I can go back to fighters who just attack and do damage or wizards who dont make attack rolls.

I want to see how this system goes, but my 4th ed group (especially the fighter) wont want to playtest this even if I paid them.

S

Sunseeker

To say I am unimpressed would be a serious understatement. But I don't hate it. I don't like prose-heavy spells and abilities. I don't like that you can build a paladin out of a cleric. Everything feels really fiddly, like they copy-pasted various things from various editions and tweaked them to work together.

I was hoping they would more take the good ideas from various editions, retool them to make them more modern and workable. I was expecting a well-mixed fruit salad, and instead I feel like I'm looking more at a buffet that can't even put it's meats next to each other.

Kinak

First Post
I feel like this might just be the retroclone for me.

It's sort of funny. I've seen people saying it's like 4e, 3.5, 2nd Edition, and even old school AD&D. But to me it just oozes Basic Set and Rule Cyclopedia OD&D. With a bit of other editions for spice of course.

But OD&D with deeper character options is basically what I've wanted since... well, since I heard about AD&D. This seems within striking distance of what I've been looking for.

Of course, I have no idea if anyone else actually wants that, so who knows what the finished product will look like?

Cheers!
Kinak

Remove ads