The Jade Frontier, part 2 (DM: THB, Judge: Lord Sessadore)

Rapida

First Post
[sblock]
You know what makes for a wonderful holiday break? When the NIC card on your PC dies and you have to wait till the following Monday to get a replacement. *grumble grumble*
[/sblock]

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Wow that sucks. Computers are great, right up to the point where they stop working and you want to smash them with a hammer.

Anyway, it sounds like you're all making your way to the temple.[/sblock]

The temple complex consists of a pagoda structure surrounded by walls. There are gateways, but no gates, for the house of the gods is open to all who seek refuge. Within the walls there are several shrines to various gods and demigods. Like the rest of the town, the architecture is an impressive combination of elegance and practicality.

The interior of the temple proper is smaller than what you would expect from looking at the outside. It contains icons of the gods, but there is not a lot of room for much else. Clearly this room was not meant to host conversations.

Besides yourselves, there are an acolyte and a couple supplicants present. They seem engaged in their own activities.

Fragsie

Explorer
Cheysuli Sage

Cheysuli bows slightly and formally to anyone in the temple that looks at the tiefling and her armour clad allies as they enter. She looks over the myriad idols that take up so much room in the temple wondering if she recognises any of them.
[sblock=Knowledge: Religion]1d20+6=8[/sblock]
But the foreign statues mean little to her. When the two undercover adventurers arrive, Chey seizes the initiative and prostrates herself before a randomly chosen idol praying loud enough for Firete and Yishim to hear:

"Oh Spirit of men, grant myself and my fellows swift and safe travels when we leave at noon.
See us safe through the danger fraught forests to the foot of Minas Unque i Forod*.
Guide our Mellon to us at Lómë,* and lend us your blessing that we may bring peace and safety to this town.
"
[sblock=* Elven translation]"...to the foot of the hollow tower in the north..."
"...guide our friends to us at dusk..."
[/sblock]
Cheysuli stays knelt before the statue, apparently in prayer, but her ears are alert for any reply; or acknowledgement, from the bard or wizard.

Yishim hears Chey's Elvish code, but he and Firete walk to the other side of the temple. As they pretend to be in prayer, Yishim summons arcane energy and a disembodied voice replies into Chey's ear. I understand, and we shall meet you there. We'll leave late in the afternoon. We had a note slipped under our door at the inn - someone is trying to make contact with us but I believe we'll not have time to draw them out this visit. We can talk more tonight.

With that, he and Firete make an offering and leave the temple.
[sblock=OOC]Cast Ghost Sound to send the message. Religion check (1d20+4=13)

I very much want to fight something![/sblock]

Fragsie

Explorer
Cheysuli Sage

A short while after Yishim and Firete leave, Cheysuli stands and pats down her breeches.
"With any luck the gods of this place have our best interests at heart!" she comments jovially to the room in general.

With Brenwar and Miranna once more in tow, the exuberant girl skips through the 'gateless' gates. Once they are our of earshot from anyone Chey quietly relates to the others what the wizard had magicked in her ear.
"... So, are we ready for the off then? With new battles drawing closer I suppose you two may have something to smile and yarn about eh." She jests, gently poking fun at the two taciturn human warriors.

Yishim and Firete estimate just how long it'll take to circle around the town in order to leave by a different gate than the one the other three most likely would. They depart town as late as possible, and circle through the woods in the fading light. At all times, they attempt to discern anyone spying on their actions.

With luck, they should arrive at the hollow tree at dusk to meet up with the rest of the party.
[sblock=Perception]Perception (1d20+3=6) Maybe Firete will do better, but it's unlikely we'll be followed.[/sblock]

pathfinderq1

First Post
With Brenwar and Miranna once more in tow, the exuberant girl skips through the 'gateless' gates. Once they are our of earshot from anyone Chey quietly relates to the others what the wizard had magicked in her ear.
"... So, are we ready for the off then? With new battles drawing closer I suppose you two may have something to smile and yarn about eh." She jests, gently poking fun at the two taciturn human warriors.

"We all have our specialties," Miranna rasped in her harsh voice, with what might have been the briefest flash of a smile. "We may as well get on the move..."

Firete and Yishim come to the tree the base of the hill as dusk is turning to night. Sorry we're late - we wanted to be sure to leave without drawing too much attention to ourselves. We don't have much news to report, although someone did start to make contact with us. A note was slipped under our door sometime last night. I don't recall anyone of interest in the tavern, except a dwarf who did not pay us much attention.

What of you? Clearly you have more interesting things to tell us.

[sblock=Note]I apologize for not making myself known last night, but certainly you understand the need for caution. Trust is the first step on the road to betrayal, and I did not get to where I am by allowing myself to be betrayed. I am sure you are familiar with the idea.

There is power, beyond the grasp of those who would try to hold us back or keep us down. But people like us know that these are just the limitations the weak place on the strong.

You are alone no longer, even in this strange land. I will contact you again soon.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Fragsie

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]The intent of Chey's words was to meet at the foot of the hill that houses the ruined keep (hollow tower) :-S sorry if that didn't come across well. Don't think our map has any specific trees marked on it.[/sblock]

Remove ads