the Kyri Chronicles - last updated 22 Oct

pogre

Legend
Plane Sailing said:
Interestingly the thread merging process didn't remember how many 'views' each of the threads had had, only the number of views in the first (shortest) thread. So instead of the total of about 5,000 views we have, uh, a much smaller number.

Hopefully it won't make people think "that storyhour must suck" and not take a look :)

Cheers

Well, it made me look. I was looking at the hit meter and page count saying, "There is no possible way!"

I've enjoyed the bit I have read thus far and I look forward to checking out the rest.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
pogre said:
Well, it made me look. I was looking at the hit meter and page count saying, "There is no possible way!"

I've enjoyed the bit I have read thus far and I look forward to checking out the rest.

Thanks Pogre - I'll endeavour to get the upcoming major battle sorted out by the end of the week!

Plane Sailing

Trajan and Taran find themselves in a crystal cave. It is large, some 800ft in diameter, and diffuse light radiates from and reflects from crystal facets all around the walls, ceiling and floor. Crystal pillars near the centre of the room seem to be a focus for the light.

More than the light though, there is a susurration, a whispering of voices that they are hearing not just with their ears but in their minds as well. Near the centre of the chamber they see Gideon standing near to a large block of crystal encasing something shadowy.

Meanwhile, outside, the healed Anne-Marie is determined to get in once more. The main foundry is still dominated by the colossal fire elemental and she doesn’t want to tangle with that again. Moving round to another entrance she finds an ore car on a clear section of rail. Boosting it up to speed she leaps in and hides within it as it rattles past the elemental. Searing flames flicker over the top of the cart but she remains safe.

Reaching the far wall she leaps out of the cart and swarms up the ladder. With her increased speed and magical boots she races around one level of balcony and up onto the top level, all the time skilfully dodging the strikes of the pillar of elemental flame.

She bursts into the office and sees Tania staring at the wall. “Where are the others?” she demands. Tania points to the sack of sugar and motions towards the wall. Without hesitation Anne-Marie casts some of the crystalline sugar at the wall and leaps through the portal

From the point of view of those inside the crystal demiplane only a few seconds have passed since they entered. Trajan, Taran follow the Order of Glass who have already started charging towards the centre of the plane where Gideon waits for them.

Suddenly there is a flare of light from their opponent and his powerful will descends upon them. The Order of Glass shrug it off, as do Trajan and Taran, but Anne-Marie is dominated. Gideon starts gloating

“Ha, you intellectual minnows have succumbed to my master plan! Now I have managed to lure you all into my central sanctum… and…”

A look of puzzlement crosses his features

“… why would I want to bring you here?

Without warning there is a thrum of power from the shape encased in crystal, a coercive wave which stretches out over the Order of Glass who suddenly stop dead in their tracks. Filaments of psychic power stretch out from each of their heads and coalesce in a glowing ball over the shape in the crystal as they are forced against their will into a terrible metaconcert. There is slight movement within the crystal and the shape inside resolves itself into a massive brain supported by eight spindly spider-like legs.

“FiNAlly mY PlANs hAve ReaChEd FrUItiOn. tHiS WoRLd ShALl bE mINe”

Plane Sailing

As one, the Order of Glass manifest their metamorphic powers and grow steel hard spikes out of their arms and start hacking away at the crystal imprisoning the creature. Chips and shards fly rapidly. Gideon is momentarily stunned by the turn of events and the creature which calls itself Unflaith reaches out

“mY auGMEntEd PowER Now aLloWS Me tO oVeRWElm yOU”

Boosted by the metaconcert it has forced the Order of Glass into, it has no difficulty overcoming his defences and suddenly they are facing a room full of dominated thralls.

Anne-Marie fies a couple of arrows into Taran’s back, then realises that she can carve him up more effectively in person so starts sprinting towards her old ally. Trajan is attempting to cut down the Order of Glass before they break Unflaith free but their defences are strong and half of them break off to assault him and Taran, while Gideon launches frightening telepathic attacks at the Jazumai who is saved again and again by his divine grace granted him by Asura.

Taran starts getting desperate. He shouts to Trajan “Call for divine aid man, you’re the one with the touch of the gods, call for divine aid!” but Trajan doesn’t respond, caught up in the battle that is whirling around him.

Desperate, Taran the man who has never really believed in anything before, surrounded by enemies and trapped in a crystal demiplane, calls out to Asura for help

“Mighty Lord Asura, I don’t know if you can hear me but unless you aid us we are lost! If we fall what will stop this horror from descending on the world of men? Aid us in this hour!”

Miraculously there is a ringing sound like the peal of a great bell, and a powerful angel stands amongst them, glorious and terrible (DMs note: I said “OK, I’ll give you a 5% chance that Asura hears you and responds. 03. Well damn.).

The dominated Gideon launches a powerful dominate effect himself but it slides off the angels magical resistance. The Angel invokes a disjunction which breaks the Order of Glass and Anne-Marie free from their psychic entrapment, and it says commandingly “FLEE, AND I WILL SEAL THIS PLANE FOR EVER”.

Their doppleganger allies, free from Unflaiths malign influence, sprint for the exit from the demiplane which sparkles in the angel light and the unholy glow from Unflaiths cracking-open prison. Gideon exerts all his telepathic might against the angel, staggering it but not stopping it. The heroes and the order of glass leap one by one out of the demiplane; Taran hears a voice in his head as he exits for the real world “A BARGAIN IS STRUCK, A PAYMENT IS REQUIRED, A CALLING MUST BE HEEDED”.

Then with a crash and tumble of bodies they all pile onto the floor of the office containing a startled Tania. There are three last psychic echoes

– a human voice crying “Noooooooooo!”
– an unearthly thought “yOU hAvE cOSt Me dEaR MY hELL SHalL bE yOUrSsss”
SEALED

Then, apart from their ragged breaths, there is silence.

robberbaron

First Post
Yeah, I got a bit fixated on the fight and didn't think to call for Holy aid, even though we were deep, deep, deep in the poo.
Once a fighter-always a fighter, I suppose.

It was better coming from Taran though.

Plane Sailing

I really liked the way that adventure turned out - and I'm afraid you have Piratecat to thank for the extended inspiration and main campaign elements :heh:

Plane Sailing

The party have two months downtime. They decide that the Order of Glass might as well continue in their current roles as councillors for Bridlerest because (a) society is working better with them than it was before (b) they were initially acting under malign influence of Gideon and (c) they can't think of anything better to do. The Order swear to continue to uphold the law and in gratitude for their freedom from oppression, rule well and honestly.

Anne-Marie commissions a headband of intellect +2, Trajan commissions boots of striding and springing, Taran commissions gloves of dexterity +4.

Taran has been very thoughtful since his encounter with divinity and finds a prophetic spark arising within his soul. Touched by Asura he now finds he has the ability to heal with Asura's touch and be filled with Asura's divine favour.

DMnote: Taran gained a level and decided to take a level in prophet - a sorcerer-like divine class in my campaign

Cheers

Plane Sailing

Bloodlines
Trajan 12th (Ftr2/Jazumai 5/ Sword Saint 5)
Anne-Marie 11th (Monk 2/ Ftr 6/ Sword Coast Duellist 2/ Psychic Warrior 1)
Tania 9th (Necromancer 8/ Black wizard of Morannon 1)
Taran 10th (Rogue 10)
M’ir 9th (Seer 9)
Zherinda 9th (Cleric 9)

At one of the many parties and balls, they recieve a proposition. One of the local nobility, Baron Noliss von Purry, introduces himself to them. He claims that he is related to the royal line of Tanor, despite living as a relatively minor noble here in Bridlerest. If he can find the evidence he needs, he will be able to advance in the royal court.

Some of his research seems to indicate that a hundred years ago a prince of the royal family might have been living in an old family estate of his, now ruined. History never really speaks of this prince, but if evidence exists in the old ruins… he will provide them with 20,000mks for such evidence.

It is a compelling proposition, and it is the kind of money they could do with.
The party gather together and meet a week later at his hunting lodge near the edge of the woods where Baron von Purry gives them further information – the location of the ruined keep, an ancient key that will provide entry into the underkeep and so forth. He sends a woodsman named Olaf along with them to help them find the way.

Four hours walk through the woods lead them to the shattered remains of the keep, overrun with vegetation. It doesn’t take long for them to find the overgrown trapdoor which, when unlocked, leads into the ruined wine cellar. It doesn’t take long to find a concealed passage – not a secret door but a bricked up passage which has been plastered over. Perhaps not so much a concealed passage but a sealed passage?

With the help of picks and hammers the wall is broken down and there is an exhalation of stale air, a musty, ancient smell. The corridor has faded murals of royal splendour, and finally it enters a square chamber with three exits out of it and a small plinth in the corner.

As Taran moves to scout the room out a horrid stench fills the room as four ghasts lurch into the room, crying “Food! Food!” The experienced adventurers make short work of them however.

The plinth in the corner seems to be an altar to a storm god, an ancient incarnation of Asura. M’ir centres himself and allows the years to roll past his inner vision in this room. He sees decade after decade of stillness, punctuated by an occasional ghast slouching through the room. Then about 80 years ago the room is filled with howling and murder as dozens of robed priests are massacred in the room, then going back further there is a decade of peace with monks moving in and out, then there is another 40 years of emptiness with no plinth, and then again a sense of terrible evil as individuals scatter through the room pursued by something clouded in evil and hatred. And beyond that it was a brightly lit series of rooms filled with courtly laughter.

Half an hour has passed before M’ir opens his eyes again, and he recounts his visions to the party. On at least two occasions there have been brutal massacres in this place. Hmmm.
They decide to take the northern exit from the room and find their way to a rune carved door. Taran scans it for traps and proclaims it clean, then starts to open it and with a flash of dark energy a curse glyph explodes, and his Strength drops dramatically as weakness drains his already slim limbs of energy. He curses, and the others move past the now disarmed trap and look into a room, a burial chamber filled with sarcophagi.

“I bet there’s mummies in there” Someone says.

They enter the room, scanning carefully for danger and suddenly the lids are thrown aside from six of the sarcophagi along the walls and mummies leer out. Their appearance is so supernaturally fearful that Zherinda the cleric and Anne-Marie are frozen in place in terror, and the mummies lurch to the attack.

The battle is fast and furious. The tough old mummies resist their blows, but are eventually cut down; but everyone has been exposed to mummy rot – and Taran and Tania suddenly both find their skin sloughing off their faces and arms as the awful curse grips them…

Shockwave

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
BloodlinesTaran and Tania suddenly both find their skin sloughing off their faces and arms as the awful curse grips them…

Why is it always me? Guess i should have known better than to do something useful in combat. :(

Remove ads