The Lance

Teemu

Hero
Is it completely official that you get 1.5 x Str bonus when wielding a lance one-handed, as in stated in the FAQ or something? I mean, with one-handed weapons you get 1 x Str bonus, but when wielding them two-handed, you get that 1.5 x Str bonus. So going by that logic, a lance wielded one-handed would only give 1 x Str bonus.

kjenks

First Post
Teemu said:
Is it completely official that you get 1.5 x Str bonus when wielding a lance one-handed, as in stated in the FAQ or something? I mean, with one-handed weapons you get 1 x Str bonus, but when wielding them two-handed, you get that 1.5 x Str bonus. So going by that logic, a lance wielded one-handed would only give 1 x Str bonus.

When you're using a weapon one-handed, you get 1x Str bonus and +0 Disarm. When you're using the same weapon two-handed, you get 1.5x Str bonus and +4 Disarm.

Check out the Main 3.5e FAQ, page 15 of the current version:

You can get a host of benefits from wielding a twohanded
weapon, such as 1-1/2 times your Strength bonus on
damage (and twice your damage bonus from the Power
Attack feat) and a +4 bonus on your opposed attack roll if
someone tries to disarm you. So when is a weapon “twohanded?”
For example, a lance is a two-handed weapon,
right? But you can wield it in one hand when you’re
mounted. Since the weapons table shows that a lance is a
two-handed weapon, I get all the two-handed benefits no
matter how I wield the lance, right?

Wrong. Table 7–5 in the Player’s Handbook lists weapons
as light, one-handed, or two-handed strictly as a matter of
convenience. These size categories are always relative to the
wielder’s size, as explained in some detail in the section on
weapon size on page 113 in the Player’s Handbook (also see
next question).

When the combat rules speak of “two-handed” weapons,
they’re referring to how the weapon is being used. A Medium
character using a Medium longsword in two hands is using a
“two-handed” weapon. The same character using a Medium
lance in one hand while mounted is using a one-handed
weapon. Light weapons are an exception. If you wield a light
weapon in two hands you get no advantage on damage (see
page 113 in the Player’s Handbook). Likewise, you always
take a –4 penalty on your opposed roll when you’re wielding a
light weapon in a disarm attempt (when someone tries to
disarm you or you try to disarm someone) regardless of
whether you wield it one- or two-handed.

kjenks

First Post
Re: Spirited Charge

BullMarkOne said:
Oh Dear God! You could do that with a second level human fighter! Now I can't wait until my pc's run afoul of the local nomadic steppes riders... MUHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Your human fighter could do that at first level: One feat for being first level, a bonus feat for being human and a bonus fighter feat for Mounted Combat, Ride-by Attack, Spirited Charge.

Take druid levels for the rest of your career and you've got a really fine mounted combat character who can cast spells pretty well, wield a mean lance and have a fine animal companion mount that is tough enough to survive a few hits in combat.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
mvincent said:

Well, this, for example:

A Medium character using a Medium longsword in two hands is using a “two-handed” weapon.

... is complete bollocks.

That Medium longsword is a "one-handed weapon wielded in two hands", as referenced by the Power Attack feat description in the PHB, the Equipment section of the PHB, etc. A longsword does not magically turn into a two-handed weapon just because you put an extra hand on it.

As far as the effects of wielding a lance in each hand... note that while a two-handed weapon gains 1.5x Str bonus to damage, an off-hand weapon specifically gains .5x. The two rules conflict, and the DM must determine precedence.

I'd personally rule that the off-hand rule applies, so dual lances would deal 1.5x/.5x in my game.

-Hyp.

mvincent said:

Compare this statement:

FAQ said:
Table 7–5 in the Player’s Handbook lists weapons
as light, one-handed, or two-handed strictly as a matter of
convenience.

With this statement from the rules:

SRD said:
Table: Common Armor, Weapon, and Shield Hardness and Hit Points
Weapon or Shield Hardness HP1
Light blade 10 2
One-handed blade 10 5
Two-handed blade 10 10
Light metal-hafted weapon 10 10
One-handed metal-hafted weapon 10 20
Light hafted weapon 5 2
One-handed hafted weapon 5 5
Two-handed hafted weapon 5 10

Now, if "One-handed" and "Two-handed" are merely matters of convenience, then as soon as I put a second hand on my longsword, it gains 5 hit points, since it just changed from a One-handed blade (5HP) to a Two-handed blade (10HP). And, if someone whacks it once or so while I'm fighting with it, I better not take my hand away - it could be all that's holding it together!

Bront

The man with the probe
The debate is not weather or not the lance is a two handed weapon, which it is, it is whether or not you get x1.5 strength when wielding it with one hand on a horse.

And the SRD is confusing because it dismisses all other differences of a weapon type as trivial.

Remove ads