• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Last Gods (was Hmmm....I think I might...2 games)

D20Dazza

Explorer
Erekose13 said:
what a tease. for which party? both?
Both I'm afraid, and I'll apologise up front if anyone is offended by what is about to happen - I didn't write the bloody thing ;)

Oh, and to forestall the cries of unfairness, this is a very special beholder with very special abilities.

But, you would hope, that once you're inside the masoleum that you will be blocked from the creatures sight - unless the walls are made of glass ;)

Rystil Arden

First Post
D20Dazza said:
Both I'm afraid, and I'll apologise up front if anyone is offended by what is about to happen - I didn't write the bloody thing ;)

Oh, and to forestall the cries of unfairness, this is a very special beholder with very special abilities.

But, you would hope, that once you're inside the masoleum that you will be blocked from the creatures sight - unless the walls are made of glass ;)
Oh, all's fair in love and D&D. After we get killed by the mini-beholders that it shoots out at us or whatever, we'll all look back and laugh at this...eventually :D

Rystil Arden

First Post
Ferrix said:
I think we should have had a real rogue with us, one who could actually climb.

No offense to Damien, but, not a real rogue.
I've seen and built real Rogues and none of them has ever taken substantial Climb. This is because by the time it matters, you will always have good magical options...well, I mean I guess I can think of an incredibly extreme edge case where you wouldn't, like, say, if you got struck by the antimagic eye of a gigantic beholder or something :D

Ferrix

Explorer
It depends on the type of rogue I'm going to build.

I usually make sure a rogue who is focused on being a house breaker has sufficient ranks in Climb. Although maybe it's just cause I'm used to a 2nd ed. thief game where all characters were thieves and access to magic support (particularly of the flight, etc. kind) was rare/nonexistant.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Ferrix said:
It depends on the type of rogue I'm going to build.

I usually make sure a rogue who is focused on being a house breaker has sufficient ranks in Climb. Although maybe it's just cause I'm used to a 2nd ed. thief game where all characters were thieves and access to magic support (particularly of the flight, etc. kind) was rare/nonexistant.
Ah, the poor poor second edition thief. The character class that was completely useless :lol: Almost all her useful powers were duplicated by the Wizard's low level spells, and if you really needed those last few abilities, there was a Cleric spell that gave the Cleric Thief abilities as a Thief of her level :uhoh:

Ferrix

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
Ah, the poor poor second edition thief. The character class that was completely useless :lol: Almost all her useful powers were duplicated by the Wizard's low level spells, and if you really needed those last few abilities, there was a Cleric spell that gave the Cleric Thief abilities as a Thief of her level :uhoh:

Bah... never! I resent such a thought. I actually considered the 2nd ed. fighter to be utterly boring, the wizard rarely made it past the early levels, and the cleric, well very few people I knew enjoyed playing a cleric at that time.

Although, my favorite was an elf fighter/thief/wizard. Ah, the joys of multiclassing in those days :)

Rystil Arden

First Post
Ferrix said:
Bah... never! I resent such a thought. I actually considered the 2nd ed. fighter to be utterly boring, the wizard rarely made it past the early levels, and the cleric, well very few people I knew enjoyed playing a cleric at that time.

Although, my favorite was an elf fighter/thief/wizard. Ah, the joys of multiclassing in those days :)
The fighter was definitely boring, but the thief was literally useless. Another fun thing was using Player's Option: Spells and Magic to build a Cleric who had literally every thief ability, plus fighter hit dice and THAC0, Evocation Wizard spells, and Healing Cleric spells. This was possible because they gave you incredibly many points to spend to buy the Spheres.

Ferrix

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
The fighter was definitely boring, but the thief was literally useless. Another fun thing was using Player's Option: Spells and Magic to build a Cleric who had literally every thief ability, plus fighter hit dice and THAC0, Evocation Wizard spells, and Healing Cleric spells. This was possible because they gave you incredibly many points to spend to buy the Spheres.

Yes, that was a blast too.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Ferrix said:
Yes, that was a blast too.
Player's Option was funny. Very very funny :D People say Clerics are strong now, but they obviously didn't read PO:S&M carefully enough. But yeah, thieves were just so weak. Without sneak attack, at best they get one backstab, and they have crummier THAC0 than the cleric, worse HP, worse armour allowable, and similar weapon choice. I felt so bad for the poor guys :heh:

Remove ads