D&D 5E The Light of Civilization - A Renaissance Story

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
289ik8w.jpg

Fossice/Central Market/Alley
Late morning
Round 0

Magdalena read the note with a puzzled expression, tossing aside the bits she found on the mage that were irrelevant. Who was this Guard? And this Experiment? They had used that word for the girl, Arcata. What was this Sanctuary? Who was this V?

Contemplating the information, Magdalena folded the note again and tucked it into her prayer book in her pack before she rejoined the others on the way to Nicolo’s flat.

[sblock=Actions]
Move:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Concentration: Detect Magic (8/10 minutes)
Conditions:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
Inspirations: 1
AC: 16 (chainmail)
HP: 21/28 HD: 3/3d10
Divine Sense (3/LR)
Lay on Hands 15/15
Channel Divinity (1/R)
Abjure Enemy
Vow of Enmity
Prepared Spells:
1st: (Bane, Hunter’s Mark), Command, Cure Wounds, Detect Magic, Shield of Faith

Spell Slots Remaining/Total
1st: 1/4
[/sblock]

tglassy

Adventurer
Nicolo led the group swiftly through the back alleys to his flat. It was nessled off the main street, around the back side of a building with many such flats. A private area, where few people ventured on accident.

The flat itself is what Nicolo had said it was: clean, but small. It consisted mostly of a single room, perhaps 20 feet on each side. It included a small bed, with a night stand, a kitchen area that had a small table with a single chair, a simple sink and wood stove. Next to the sink was a container of water and wood for the stove, and on the table was a single loaf of bread and a wedge of cheese. There were no dishes or silverware to be found.

"Please, come in," Nicolo said, holding the door open for the...entarage that had followed him. He was not used to having guests. This was, in fact, the first time he had. The room was large enough to hold everyone, but it certainly felt small by the time everyone had entered. "Would anyone like some water? I can have it chilled..."

Shayuri

First Post
"...not here," Arcata replied to the paladin, the warrior of the Church.

And it was an easy thing, to imply that she'd tell everything when they arrived at Nicolo's. It was another thing entirely once they were there, and Arcata found herself on the spot. It didn't help that his place was so tiny...though in truth it was substantially better than her lodgings for...Maker, how long now? Arcata realized she wasn't sure anymore. Too long.

"Water would be very appreciated," she said apologetically to the monk. "I have a feeling I have a great deal of talking to do."

tglassy

Adventurer
Nicolo nodded, then bent over the container of water. He opened the lid, then twirled hid hand over the surface of the water, using his elemental connection to create a miniature whirlpool. He deepened the whirlpool, causing it to spin faster, then clinched his fist. The whirlpool froze in the shape of a cone, hollow in the middle. He drew the newly made cup out of the container, filled it with water, and wrapped it in a small cloth. He handed the ice cup to Arcata,

"I apologize, I don't have any cups or dishes. I have never needed any." He creates another ice cup and offers water to the rest of the group. "Make yourselves at home. Arcata, take my chair. You should rest."

Sent from my iPad using EN World mobile app

Shayuri

First Post
She frowned faintly as she accepted the 'cup,' and nearly fumbled with it as it threatened to slip within the cloth covering it. With a questioning look at Nicolo, Arcata took a sip, then quickly downed the rest.

"No, I've gotten more than my share of sleep for the day," she quipped. "Besides, I'm afraid if I sit down now, I won't be able to run again."

She sighed and experimentally bit off a little chunk of the edge of her cup. "And I'm a long way from done running."

Last edited:

Thateous

Explorer
After Fedrigo ripped the door off the cage he slings it behind him as the rage leaves his eyes. He moves to retrieve his padded cloak before returning to help Giovanni out the cage and to the mages apartment. After perching Giovanni somewhere he could rest Fedrigo slumped against a wall and just zoned out.

Sent from my SM-G935P using EN World mobile app

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
289ik8w.jpg

Fossice/Nicolo’s flat
Late morning
Round 0

Magdalena stuffed herself into the small room with the others. She took up a position by the door, even taking a moment to lock it once everyone was inside. She frowned disapprovingly as Nicolo formed ice cups with magic, the magic flaring in her eldritch vision.

“You should be more wary of using magic so flippantly,” she scolded when he handed her a cup. She eyed it warily before taking a tentative sip. One did not see ice in Fosicce unless it was thrown at one by a magus, and Magdalena was all too familiar with its deadly effects. She had heard said there was ice and something called snow in the mountains, but Magdalena had never seen it.

Magdalena turned her attention to Arcata. “Now why don’t you explain why the Avante Guard are after you?” she asked. “It doesn’t make sense. And how do you know Romeo?” She had almost said “my” Romeo, but caught herself. Was that a flare of jealousy she felt? It left her confused and off-guard for a moment and she had to take a moment to compose herself.

[sblock=Actions]
Move:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Concentration: Detect Magic (7/10 minutes)
Conditions:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
Inspirations: 1
AC: 16 (chainmail)
HP: 21/28 HD: 3/3d10
Divine Sense (3/LR)
Lay on Hands 15/15
Channel Divinity (1/R)
Abjure Enemy
Vow of Enmity
Prepared Spells:
1st: (Bane, Hunter’s Mark), Command, Cure Wounds, Detect Magic, Shield of Faith

Spell Slots Remaining/Total
1st: 1/4
[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
Arcata shook her head at the holy warrior.

"I don't know anyone named Romeo," she said wearily. "Unless he's in the Guild maybe. I didn't learn the names of every one of them. The men after me weren't any kind of guard though. They..."

She paused. "This will be easier if I start at the beginning."

"Some time ago, my father found an old library or something on our land. It'd been buried, but a storm triggered a mudslide and...well, it wasn't just a library as it turns out, but that's what we thought it was. So he sent a message to the Guild Arcane, thinking they'd be interested in trade for access to the place. And they were. And it was pretty good. We had money that year, and things were looking up."

Arcata rubbed her chin reflectively. "But then I took ill. Really really ill. We couldn't find a medicine that would cure me, and I just kept getting worse. My father...he's superstitious...he thought it was the curse. He thinks our family's cursed. Anyway, he went to the Guild, there at the library. He asked if they could break the curse...I guess he offered them something, or threatened to throw them out or...I don't know, I was in bed then."

"So one evening, men from the Guild moved me to the library. They'd dug out rooms underneath it though...and those rooms weren't library rooms. There were all kinds of strange things I didn't quite see, and...I don't know what they were. But at the bottom, there was something...amazing. It was a big ball of crystal, like glass only cleaner. Purer. Inside was...just light. Living light. It raced around and lit up the room and even I could feel it had a kind of power."

She made an 'oops' face and quickly added, "I didn't have magic then. At all. I should...you need to know that. I was normal."

"Anyway, they put me on a bed next to the ball, and they did some kind of ritual."

Arcata stopped there for a long moment, trying to decide what to say next. She was no poet...she couldn't think of a way to describe what happened in anything but the most clumsy and brutally minimalizing way.

"I...think the idea was to use what was in the ball to heal me. I think it was, for the Guild, an experiment to see if they could use it. They...when they did the ritual, I felt like they weren't sure what to do sometimes. But something did happen. I...for a second I felt like I was in the ball too. Like the world all curved around me. And then..."

pressure...suffocating...a sound like ringing bells...exploding...being crushed...speed...moving so fast...breaking over the clouds to see the sun...reaching out to take it in my hand as it stretched towards me...

She paused again, her eyes closed for a moment. The memory she had simply didn't translate.

Her eyes opened and she went on, more quietly.

"It worked, kind of. When I woke up, I felt...fine again. Maybe even better than before. But the Guildsmen were angry. I found out later that the ball was empty. They had a lot of arguments with my father at first, in his study. But after a few days, the arguments were just...talking. And then father told me that he was sending me here...to the city, with the Guild. That they'd healed me, but needed to keep watch on me for a while. They were..." her voice caught in her throat for a second. "...they were my doctors now."

"He didn't know," Arcata pleaded, tears suddenly brimming in her eyes. "He didn't know."

Lucien drops the chest now holding Iacopo onto the floor in the corner of the flat. It had been an interesting morning and now he had Giovanni back. This means Lucien could get his ship. He nodded to Rossa and Fedrigo.

"Thank you for the help. I am in your debt."

He looks over at Giovanni seeing the bruises and welts he sighs. He closes his eyes and concentrates saying a small prayer to Nodens and then speaks the words of healing.

"Dhéanamh go maith"

The bruises and injuries lighten and the small cut on his lip closes as the healing magic flows into the man.

"Giovanni you had better be worth my trouble or you'll wish I'd left you in that box. You know what I want can you get it for me?"

He listens to the others as they talk but is intent on his task. After what just happened Lucien needed a way out of the city. The best chance of that would be a ship which Giovanni was the only one who could get that for him. If the others wanted passage then they could have it but the ship came first. He turns back to Rossa.

"Do you think Iacopo will be useful as a bargaining chip with the Guild or should we just kill him now?"

Last edited:

Remove ads