The Logic (or Lack of) in D&D

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Thurbane said:
Same here - if a strictly RAW ruling on a situation obviously flies in the face of logic and common sense, the RAW takes a back seat. This is the same for all of my group, regardless who is DMing.

I'd likely be annoyed if told that I had to make a Move Silently check while hovering, but that my boots didn't help because 'that's common sense'...

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf said:
I'd likely be annoyed if told that I had to make a Move Silently check while hovering, but that my boots didn't help because 'that's common sense'...

-Hyp.

Since when does the Fly spell tell you that you are hovering? (Which I think would be more like the Levitate spell but I digress.)

Secondly, when does the Fly spell grant you total silence while you are flying? I imagine that when you are 100 feet up in the air that it is a bit windier than ground level since there is nothing providing a wind break. You have good maneuverability so you're not a total clutz while in the air put you aren't maneuvering perfectly. I would think that some things would be knocking together while you are flying at a speed of 120ft/round, in the wind.

All, in all this thread was meant to be more about the seemingly illogical things that sometimes crop up in D&D so I'll save any more of my debate for the rules forum. :D

Olaf the Stout

tzor said:
That's strange. The d20SRD says it's a +5 competence bonus. "A competence bonus (or penalty) affects a character's performance of a particular task, as in the case of the bardic ability to inspire competence."

Well that explains everything! These boots are so fluffy comfortable that you are inspired to do everything in a quieter manner! Who knew that Dr. Shoal was an elf?

(Side note I actually have a pair of medieval reinactment boots with an exceptionally fluffy - but otherwise crappy - sole. They definitely inspire confidence in me.)

Whoops! I meant +5 not +10, I'll edit my first post. Thanks for the pick-up tzor.

Olaf the Stout

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Olaf the Stout said:
Since when does the Fly spell tell you that you are hovering?

With Good maneuverability, you can hover...

Secondly, when does the Fly spell grant you total silence while you are flying?

I have no problem with having to make a Move Silently check while flying, because it's the rule. My problem would be if someone made me make the check, but denied the bonus from the boots (which is also the rule) because of 'common sense'.

If the Boots, according to 'common sense', only affect the sound of my footsteps, and I'm not walking, then 'common sense' says I should get at least the bonus the Boots would provide by virtue of my not-making walking sounds any time I'm flying... even if I weren't wearing the Boots!

-Hyp.

hong

WotC's bitch
New hierarchy!

1. Hypersmurf's common sense
2. DM's common sense
3. Rules

Well, except when he starts talking about sundering on AoOs. That stuff is WHACKED!

Thurbane

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

-Hyp.
Quite right - I probably wouldn't have asked for a move silently in the first place, or it would have been at a significant bonus anyway...

Hypersmurf said:
With Good maneuverability, you can hover...

I have no problem with having to make a Move Silently check while flying, because it's the rule. My problem would be if someone made me make the check, but denied the bonus from the boots (which is also the rule) because of 'common sense'.

If the Boots, according to 'common sense', only affect the sound of my footsteps, and I'm not walking, then 'common sense' says I should get at least the bonus the Boots would provide by virtue of my not-making walking sounds any time I'm flying... even if I weren't wearing the Boots!

-Hyp.

That's fair enough I think. I would agree with that.

Olaf the Stout

Hypersmurf said:
The "common sense" part I was talking about was not having a roll for this situation: the modifiers for things like "holding your limbs motionless" and "not touching the ground" make it not worth the trouble, IMO (even if you don't include the boots). Of course, if you start adding in high winds whipping and snapping cloaks and clanking chains, that could change things. Even then, I'm not sure that move silent skill is the significant factor in affecting the listen DC, in this situation.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Philotomy Jurament said:
The "common sense" part I was talking about was not having a roll for this situation: the modifiers for things like "holding your limbs motionless" and "not touching the ground" make it not worth the trouble, IMO (even if you don't include the boots).

Of course, I'm not convinced the Fly spell involves 'holding your limbs motionless'.

Let's say you have a decent Strength score. If you're holding a suit of chain mail, you Fly at 60. If you're wearing a suit of chain mail, you fly at 40.

The implication, to me, is that the Fly spell is a physical activity that requires unrestricted body motion, because wearing armor slows you down, but carrying armor (as long as it doesn't put you over your Light load limit) doesn't.

-Hyp.

Remove ads