The Logic (or Lack of) in D&D

Doghead Thirteen

First Post
Dire Bare said:
I don't think so, I think jmucchiello is teh funny . . . I snorted so loud I think my officemates are on to the fact I'm not working all that hard right now . . .
Good Lord, man! I've already had my head eaten for my fit of Lunchtime Stupidity (TM)!

... and yeah, I too was giggling like an idiot, especially when I got my dressing-down.

Man, you sure can't beat Wildly Off Topic Threads to lighten the mood!

Doghead Thirteen said:
Man, you sure can't beat Wildly Off Topic Threads to lighten the mood!
How can any of this be off-topic in a thread marked "Humor"?
kenobi65 said:
Sooo...my boots are intelligent?

What happens when they decide they've had enough of having my smelly feet jammed into them? Or, when they decide that they're sick of having orc guts spilled on them without being cleaned off? Will they demand emancipation? Will they unionize?
Well, first of all, boots dig smelly feet. They just must. Second, wash your boots. And finally, I don't think 2 boots would form an effective union.

And now a man with nine legs...

Doghead Thirteen

First Post
jmucchiello said:
How can any of this be off-topic in a thread marked "Humor"?
... true. But Monty Python isn't boots!

The mightiest Boots of Stinky Feets are Wulfsport motocross boots, Size 11 if memory serves me right. We called them the Boots of Nuclear Stench!

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
kenobi65 said:

What happens when they decide they've had enough of having my smelly feet jammed into them? Or, when they decide that they're sick of having orc guts spilled on them without being cleaned off? Will they demand emancipation? Will they unionize?
It could happen. When magic items are subjected to unfair conditions, some have been known to band together and refuse to work.

This form of work-stoppage is less common now than in previous editions, because the 3.5 designers were smart enough to remove the principal organizer-- the staff of striking.

Byrons_Ghost

First Post
kenobi65 said:

One of my characters had a pair of intelligent boots like this. They got sick of all the dungeons and decided to see the world, so every so often I'd go to sleep in the wilderness and wake up days later in someplace like Greyhawk City or the Barrier Peaks. It was a pain since, as a rogue, I didn't have any quick magic to get myself back to the party, and they'd have to hunt me down or scry on me.

It got so bad after a while that they threw a remove curse on me and locked the boots in a closet. They escaped somehow, though, while we were out adventuring. We heard from a farmer on our way back to town that a pair of boots had been seen riding a horse, but they'd gone off a cliff because they couldn't grasp the reins, all they could do was spur the horse.

So, no more boots. I was pretty bummed for a while, but eventually I came to the conclusion that my boots must have gone to a better place. And the party's cleric agrees with me, because he thought that unlike most intelligent objects, intelligent boots have souls.

Thurbane

First Post
Philotomy Jurament said:
In my game, the hierarchy for handling any situation is:

1. Common Sense.
2. Rules.

I don't think I'd have asked for a roll at all, in this situation. I definitey wouldn't allow elven boots to modify the roll. The rules are your servant, not your master.

My $0.02, for what it's worth...
Same here - if a strictly RAW ruling on a situation obviously flies in the face of logic and common sense, the RAW takes a back seat. This is the same for all of my group, regardless who is DMing.

If a sitaution arises where the the RAW seem to contradict common sense, we have a quick vote at the table. If the majority agree that the RAW are getting in the way of making a logical ruling, we toss RAW out the window. ;)

Remove ads