The Logic (or Lack of) in D&D

Hussar

Legend
Nyeshet said:
This just suggests to me that it should be a Cape (or Mantle) of Elvenkind - not boots - that grants a bonus to move silently (muffling the sounds of the body and its clothing, items, etc rather than muffling just the steps the feet make). Just as a Cloak of Invisibility would hide what was within it, a Cape of Silence would muffle what was within it.

Then it would all make a little more sense . . . . :D

But then it would not be D&D, in all its illogical "glory."

Yes, but, if we used that, we couldn't blatantly rip off Tolkein. :)

Li Shenron

Legend
Olaf the Stout said:
From a reality point of view it really doesn't make sense but I have gotten to the stage now where I realise that D&D rules and their ability to simulate reality diverge in many places. I accept that and just don't worry whether or not it makes complete logical sense

IMHO stuff from D&D rules starts losing sense only when the situation becomes more complicated than "normal" (e.g. when you have to adjudicate 2 effects at the same time), but the gamers still want to fit the circumstances into the RAW.

Olaf the Stout said:
As illogical as it seemed that a pair of boots helped you fly more silently, I still let him keep the +10 from them and he went past the baddies without them noticing.

I can't think of another case at the moment... But then I think you ruled fairly anyway: the boots of elvenkind could have been a ring or an amulet, and no one would have thought they limited the bonus to your hand or your neck!

Doghead Thirteen

First Post
jmucchiello said:
I don't see how you could bump into a migrating African swallow, as they are non-migratory. Since I can't see the swallow, perhaps it'd be invisible, too. Still, you should see the coconut regardless.
Perhaps someone missed their 'Recognise Monty Python Reference' check...

BRP2

First Post
I know this may sound weird to some people, but Sneak Attack and Power Attack always confused me. When you Sneak Attack, you use precision to score a more damaging hit. When you Power Attack, you throw precision out for the sake of hitting harder. It always seemed kind of weird to me.

Xer0

First Post
Doghead Thirteen said:
You did notice that he mentioned the African Swallow was Non-migratory? Right?

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
Doghead Thirteen said:

Yes. And his/her name is *drumroll* Doghead Thirteen! What did this fine person win today? A one-hour free argument session, a coupon for a free egg spam spam spam spam spam spam baked beans spam spam spam and spam with the purchase of a spam menu item of equal or greater value, a dead parrot with the accompanying license, and a court order to go back and watch the holy grail 100 times before bothering others about 'Recognise Monty Python Reference' checks. :D

Xer0

First Post
Vyvyan Basterd said:
Yes. And his/her name is *drumroll* Doghead Thirteen! What did this fine person win today? A one-hour free argument session, a coupon for a free egg spam spam spam spam spam spam baked beans spam spam spam and spam with the purchase of a spam menu item of equal or greater value, a dead parrot with the accompanying license, and a court order to go back and watch the holy grail 100 times before bothering others about 'Recognise Monty Python Reference' checks. :D
And no Vikings!

Remove ads