The Logic (or Lack of) in D&D

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Feldspar said:
Anytime they would start talking about e raised to the power of the square root of -1, my eyes would just start glazing over ...
Hey, you know what's neat about that? It turns out that e^i is just the πth root of -1. (That letter is pi, not lowercase n.)

To put it another way: e^(π * i) + 1 = 0. This is called Euler's Identity, and thinking about it too long will tie your brain in knots. None of this has anything to do with D&D, I'm just a huge math nerd.

...but not as big a nerd as whoever spots the error in this post.

Last edited:

Doghead Thirteen

First Post
Great Scott, I seem to have utterly muffed my 'avoid saying something stupid' roll!

Now perhaps we'd best get back on topic before the mods give us all free hitting-on-the-head lessons, or even worse say NI to us.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
What people do not realize is that Boots of Elvenkind work because they come up really high and wrap up all all the items that can bump together in a soft, cushiony material similar to llamas wool. That's why llamas get a natural +10 to their Move Silent roll, even though they have these hard hooves that should in fact make a lot of noise.

GreatLemur

Explorer
AuraSeer said:
The problem with "common sense" is that it's not common.

A ruling that is perfectly reasonable to me might seem completely off base to you, and a third person might think we're both talking nonsense.
That's why the expanded hierarchy goes like this:

1. The DM's Common Sense.
2. Rules.
3. The Players' Common Sense.

tzor

First Post
Olaf the Stout said:
The player rolled reasonably well and told me his Move Silently check. Just as I was about to roll the baddies Listen checks, he said, "Wait, I get a +10 due to my Boot of Elvenkind." The whole table cracked up laughing! :lol:

That's strange. The d20SRD says it's a +5 competence bonus. "A competence bonus (or penalty) affects a character's performance of a particular task, as in the case of the bardic ability to inspire competence."

Well that explains everything! These boots are so fluffy comfortable that you are inspired to do everything in a quieter manner! Who knew that Dr. Shoal was an elf?

(Side note I actually have a pair of medieval reinactment boots with an exceptionally fluffy - but otherwise crappy - sole. They definitely inspire confidence in me.)

Dire Bare

Legend
Doghead Thirteen said:
Perhaps someone missed their 'Recognise Monty Python Reference' check...

I don't think so, I think jmucchiello is teh funny . . . I snorted so loud I think my officemates are on to the fact I'm not working all that hard right now . . .

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Boots of Elvenkind are the magical equivalent of Bose noise-cancelling headphones for the universe. They're intelligently selective about what they cancel...

kenobi65

First Post
Umbran said:
Boots of Elvenkind are the magical equivalent of Bose noise-cancelling headphones for the universe. They're intelligently selective about what they cancel...

Sooo...my boots are intelligent?

What happens when they decide they've had enough of having my smelly feet jammed into them? Or, when they decide that they're sick of having orc guts spilled on them without being cleaned off? Will they demand emancipation? Will they unionize?

Remove ads