D&D 5E The Magical Martial

dave2008

Legend
Sure but the abstraction still needs to explain how a 6 foot gap in reach is clear.
I disagree generally, but I am not 100% sure the specific scenario you trying to describe (I jumped back into this tread late - sorry)

Either fighters are supernatural or better warriors that most people imagine.
Or both.

Of course the reality is: it is an imperfect game.

That is why I was never discussing 5e, 4e, 3e, etc. I was always just talking about the concept.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I disagree generally, but I am not 100% sure the specific scenario you trying to describe (I jumped back into this tread late - sorry

I am implying that the combat abstraction assumes abilities that cannot be brought into the non-combat aspect of the game.

So either D&D is missing many non-combat rules or characters are assumed to have some supernatural abilities during combat which end when the fights end.

Or both.

Of course the reality is: it is an imperfect game.

That is why I was never discussing 5e, 4e, 3e, etc. I was always just talking about the concept.

Every edition assumes that a 3 ft halfling can hit an 18 ft giant in the head but cannot jump 15 ft straight up even with a running start.

Either PC warriors can jump like supernatural superheroes or D&D fights actually look like crazy shounen anime.

dave2008

Legend
I am implying that the combat abstraction assumes abilities that cannot be brought into the non-combat aspect of the game.
I am not sure what you are talking about, but combat and non-combat are very different.
So either D&D is missing many non-combat rules
well there are many, many threads on that subject.
or characters are assumed to have some supernatural abilities during combat which end when the fights end.
Or it is a game for fun and not a detail and complex combat simulator. It is like time travel movies, if you look to close they never make sense.

Every edition assumes that a 3 ft halfling can hit an 18 ft giant in the head but cannot jump 15 ft straight up even with a running start.
No they don't. They assume a 3 ft. halfling can kill a giant, not how they kill it.

Mind you, I have a problem with this as well. That is why we have some houserules in my game that cover some of these issues.

Either PC warriors can jump like supernatural superheroes or D&D fights actually look like crazy shounen anime.
Wouldn't that basically be the same thing?

But see my answer above, the game does not assume how you accomplish your goal, just that you can. It is not a physics simulator, it abstract, and it is imperfect.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
that is how the game started, so...

I mean I prefer having maneuvers too, but I don't think you need one for every possible situation. That to me would be to cumbersome of a system
Fair enough. I prefer less abstraction than WotC generally gives you, but maybe we don't need as much as I was just advocating.

Remove ads