D&D 5E The Magical Martial

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
I wonder how much we could’ve actually gotten done if we didn’t have to perpetually make justifications in every one of these kinds of thread to people who demand to know how a martial manages to just be plain extraordinary in a fantasy world without relying on any form of explicit supernatural aid

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Not one bit of that says you should expect the universe doesn't act like Earth-normal in the absence of indications to the contrary, mostly because those indicators are quite clear when they come up. You think I read Game of Thrones and assume that, since there are really long seasons and the occasional dragon, that the lid is off the box and absolutely anything goes? No. I still assume Westeros acts like Earth unless told otherwise, and I categorically refuse to feel wrong about that because the concept of "fantasy" is apparently All or Nothing to you.
In GOT, when a knight tries to fight a dragon...
They Die

In D&D, when a knight tries to fight a dragon
They might kill them

Ask D&D how that works,
The answer for 50 years: IDK?

Chaosmancer

Legend
So what’s the devil actually doing that requires more? You aren’t answering that question.

He has skin stronger than enchanted steel. He is stronger than a rhinocerous at full charge. He can reach inside your mind and twist your worst fears into existence just from you being near him. His eyes can pierce any disguise and his voice echoes in your mind like black smoke. He is tough enough that he laughs off shotgun blasts and grenade. A missile strike MIGHT injury him severely enough to force him to retreat, if it even hits him, since he is faster than a horse at gallop

By the way, this is just a standard Pit Fiend, not even a named devil.

Chaosmancer

Legend
If I saw a person punch through a steel plate, I would want to know how. As the player of a game where such things might happen, I would still like to know how. The description of the monk class in the PH provides such an explanation, so that's fine. The description of the fighter class does not.

He does 100 situps, 100 pushups, 100 squats and a 10 kilometer run every day.

Chaosmancer

Legend
God blood is also an excellent explanation for the superhuman abilities many of them had.

But you realize it is a chicken and an egg, right?

"They have extraordinary abilities and did something important, they must be related to the gods"
"They are related to the gods, they must have extraordinary abilities and have done something important"

These lead to the same end product. So claiming that the"god blood" came first isn't logical. Both are equally valid, and considering we can find extraordinary heroes and beings that WEREN'T related to the gods in myths and legends... the abilities likely came first.

Not one bit of that says you should expect the universe doesn't act like Earth-normal in the absence of indications to the contrary, mostly because those indicators are quite clear when they come up. You think I read Game of Thrones and assume that, since there are really long seasons and the occasional dragon, that the lid is off the box and absolutely anything goes? No. I still assume Westeros acts like Earth unless told otherwise, and I categorically refuse to feel wrong about that because the concept of "fantasy" is apparently All or Nothing to you.
It isn't all or nothing.

It's that Game of Thrones ends up in the fantasy section of the bookstore because it has dragons, frozen zombies and such. Not because it faithfully simulates the hazards of real world naval combat.

If you're expecting a faithful representation of naval combat, maybe you don't pick up the book with the dragons and zombies in it.

Remove ads