Lotta hedging we're doing with

"Majority"
"Mostly"
"Roughly"
And
"Analogous"

Another way of saying this is ..
"The vast majority of fantasy settings are different from the real world"

Which is a true statement..and the characteristic which defines those settings as fantasy settings.
It is also a true statement, IME, that the vast majority of fantasy settings are more like the real world than they are not.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
And yet, GOT is clearly fantasy. It therefore apparently should bear no resemblance to the real world at all, because it's fantasy!
GOT has not real world parts of its humanity.

Being related to the one of the great Houses or a King makes you magical.
And some humans have "feyblood" or "giantblood"
And only Valyrians can ride dragons.
And genes run stronger than Earth.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
GOT has not real world parts of its humanity.

Being related to the one of the great Houses or a King makes you magical.
And some humans have "feyblood" or "giantblood"
And only Valyrians can ride dragons.
And genes run stronger than Earth.
Sure, but people still don't behave in a superhuman manner for the most part, and when they do it is called out. Just like I asked.

dave2008

Legend
So if something doesn't exist in our world, it's automatically magical and supernatural?
No, see my response to the owlbear below.
Except owlbears, who shall be unaddressed.
See my response to the owlbear below. It was complex answer so I abbreviated by saying "iffy"
Okay, so what about things that aren't part of our world yet? Were clones magical and supernatural before Dolly?

What about science fiction? Are aliens magical?
See my response to the owlbear in the link below. I think that covers those issues (IIRC).
And let's go back to the ghost. We can check this simple Magic Alertness test: place ghost in antimagic field. The ghost continues to exist.
That depends on the rules of course and the definition of "magical." In 5e there are things that have innate magic that can't be dispelled and are immune to antimagic (like dragon flight).

Here is my response to the owlbear question form another post.

It is also a true statement, IME, that the vast majority of fantasy settings are more like the real world than they are not.
Maybe..I guess.

To prove your "true statement", we have to go through all of your experience, build a comprehensive set of characteristics about the real world and the fantasy settings you've experienced, and run some kind of compare and contrast.

Frankly, I wouldn't be that confident in your conclusion.

To prove mine, we can just play "find the difference" and see how often a difference appears. If I'm at less than 100%, it would be a shocking result.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Sure, but people still don't behave in a superhuman manner for the most part, and when they do it is called out. Just like I asked.
That's explicitly because before GOT, magic is on a downward cycle.

Once GOT starts, the magic in the Great Houses start to come back. And with a revenge.
That's the arc. Low Magic world becomes Mid Magic world.

People can talk to animals, see in their eyes, talk to dragons, and come back from the dead.
100% supernatural humans.

Remove ads