• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The mandalorian [Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
This is a thing that I also picked up on, and it is not the first time an episode of the Mandalorian does this. It doesn't seem deliberate misdirection, but a case of sloppy writing. As if part of the episode was rewritten, but references to an old idea were left in. Was there originally a lava scene planned? Did they simply change their mind on it, or was it simply too difficult, expensive or time consuming to do?
I knew there would be a scene of them trying to escape the canyon alive, but I thought that it would be them running away from the lava as the Imperial Base exploded, with Mando picking them up at the last minute in his newly repaired ship. I honestly probably would have preferred that.

I knew there would be a scene of them trying to escape the canyon alive, but I thought that it would be them running away from the lava as the Imperial Base exploded, with Mando picking them up at the last minute in his newly repaired ship. I honestly probably would have preferred that.

Indeed. In fact, the entire way in which Mando suddenly popped up in his now completely fixed ship seemed abrupt and out of place. Perhaps it is the short format of each episode, that makes it hard for them to write a conclusion to each episode that forms a satisfying whole.

It also seemed odd that after all the stealth they used to get into the base, they set off the reactor, which sounds a base-wide alarm, puts every trooper on high alert, and now they need to shoot their way out. Kind of a poorly thoughout plan (and poor writing).

How I would expect this thing to go, is for them to plan more than just 'shoot our way out', but something goes awry along the way, forcing them to improvize. It is the classic format of any heist scenario.

BTW, why did they need that cowardly blue alien that they drag on to this mission? Did they just need him for his speeder and cutting torch? I didn't feel like it was established that he was essential to complete this mission, nor did the plot involve him in any clever way (such as a betrayal or a twist).

Another thing that slightly bothers me about the show, is that things always go according to plan for Mando. It undermines suspense if the hero of the show is always victorious and never messes up. Even if there is an ambush (like in episode 3 of this season), it is always quickly resolved. Most conflicts are not resolved in a clever way, but by just shooting a lot. I think this is yet another example of weak writing.

I don't mean to nitpick the show to death. It is still plenty entertaining, and the writing seems some what better than in season 1. The effects are of film quality, the production design is outstanding, they have a fantastic cast, and they really nail the feeling of Star Wars. But with such a big budget, I think they could get better writers.

Last edited:

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Indeed. In fact, the entire way in which Mando suddenly popped up in his now completely fixed ship seemed abrupt and out of place. Perhaps it is the short format of each episode, that makes it hard for them to write a conclusion to each episode that forms a satisfying whole.

It also seemed odd that after all the stealth they used to get into the base, they set off the reactor, which sounds a base-wide alarm, puts every trooper on high alert, and now they need to shoot their way out. Kind of a poorly thoughout plan (and poor writing).

How I would expect this thing to go, is for them to plan more than just 'shoot our way out', but something goes awry along the way, forcing them to improvize. It is the classic format of any heist scenario.

BTW, why did they need that cowardly blue alien that they drag on to this mission? Did they just need him for his speeder and cutting torch? I didn't feel like it was established that he was really badly needed to complete this mission. Nor did the plot involve him in any clever way (such as a betrayal or a twist).

Another thing that slightly bothers me about the show, is that things always go according to plan for Mando. It undermines suspense if the hero of the show is always victorious and never messes up. Even if there is an ambush (like in episode 3 of this season), it is always quickly resolved. Most conflicts are not resolved in a clever way, but by just shooting a lot. I think this is yet another example of weak writing.
I agree in general, but I still like the show, even if it falls flat at some things. It would work better if they had longer episodes and better writing.

They had the blue guy for comedy and to reference the first season. They could have just used Mando, having him fly up to the top, taking them one at a time, or flying up and getting the elevator working. I was expecting him to betray them or die while causing an issue, but I guess that was too good of an idea for them.
(Heck, Mando is an Armorer Artificer! Why didn't he just use his tech to do whatever it is they needed the blue guy to do?)

I totally saw that other alien betraying them. He looked at Mando a bit too long. They need to set up the finale of the season somehow, I guess.

Mando doesn't get to fail at anything unless it's a filler episode (like episode 2 of season 2) or the last episode of the season, where he gets beat up, loses a bit, and then comes back to save the day. At least he's a more compelling character than Rey, at least. I mean, he fails occasionally due to not being good enough at somethings, giving at least some character arc to him.

I kind of agree with the incompetent Stormtrooper thing as well.

A call back to the movies is nice (the dialogue, hallway shooting, Mando getting shot at on the ledge etc etc) but we're at the point now where Stormtroopers are beyond comically incompetent.

It takes any threat out of the scene, in a way that the Movies didn't. There was no impetus to the action when half a dozen Stormtroopers cant hit a man sized target in a hallway from 5 metres away while being gunned down one at a time with impunity, over and over again.

You just feel sorry for them and it breaks immersion. No-one can possibly be THAT incompetent.

At least in the Bo Katan episode they set up a repeating blaster and this was shown to be some-what of a threat.

Heck, Mando is an Armorer Artificer!
In my head canon:

Din Djarin
Male Human Soldier 3/ Scoundrel 1/ Scout 3/ Elite Trooper 4/ Bounty Hunter 3
CL: 14
FP: 5, DSP 3, Destiny 2
S: 15 D: 16 C: 16 I: 12 W: 10 Ch: 10
F: 35 (DT 40)
R: 36
W: 25 (30 vs Persuasion and Deception)
DR: 4/-
Talents: Armoured defence, Improved armoured defence, Second Skin, Armoured Mandalorian, Improved initiative, Keen shot, Hunters Mark, Hunters target, Dastardly strike
Feats: Armor proficiency light, medium; Weapon proficiency: Pistols, Rifles, Simple, Vibro weapons; Vehicular combat, Double attack [pistols], Shake it off, Skill training [intimidate], Charging fire, Mandalorian training, Martial arts 1, Point blank shot , Improved damage threshold, Rapid Assault, Unwavering resolve
Skills: Pilot +15, Mechanics +13, Endurance +15, Initiative +15, Perception +14, Intimidate +12
Gear: Mandalorian template Beskar'gam (Medium) with helmet package and integrated flamethrower, grapple launcher, whistling bird launcher (Ref +8, Fort +3); Jetpack, heavy blaster pistol, Ambian Pulse blaster rifle (SS, 3d10 energy damage, Disruptor, Range as rifle) with targeting scope, vibro blade, 2 explosive charges, utility belt

Whistling bird launcher: Standard action area attack that targets all creatures within 5 squares of the firer; dealing 6d6 piercing damage, or half damage on a miss (unless the target has evasion).

Man, this is making me want to play SWSE again!

Mando doesn't get to fail at anything
Aside from being a parent.

Zardnaar

Legend
In my head canon:

Din Djarin
Male Human Soldier 4/ Scout 3/ Elite Trooper 4/ Bounty Hunter 3
CL: 14
FP: 5, DSP 3, Destiny 2
S: 15 D: 16 C: 16 I: 12 W: 10 Ch: 10
F: 35 (DT 40)
R: 36
W: 24 (29 vs Persuasion and Deception)
DR: 4/-
Talents: Armoured defence, Improved armoured defence, Second Skin, Armoured Mandalorian, Improved initiative, Keen shot, Hunters Mark, Hunters target
Feats: Armor proficiency light, medium; Weapon proficiency: Pistols, Rifles, Simple, Vibro weapons; Vehicular combat, Double attack [pistols], Shake it off, Skill training [intimidate], Charging fire, Mandalorian training, Martial arts 1, Point blank shot , Improved damage threshold, Rapid Assault, Unwavering resolve
Skills: Pilot +15, Mechanics +13, Endurance +15, Initiative +15, Perception +14, Intimidate +12
Gear: Mandalorian template Beskar'gam (Medium) with helmet package and integrated flamethrower, grapple launcher, whistling bird launcher (Ref +8, Fort +3); Jetpack, heavy blaster pistol, Ambian Pulse blaster rifle (SS, 3d10 energy damage, Disruptor, Range as rifle) with targeting scope, vibro blade, 2 explosive charges, utility belt

Whistling bird launcher: Standard action area attack that targets all creatures within 5 squares of the firer; dealing 6d6 piercing damage, or half damage on a miss (unless the target has evasion).

Man, this is making me want to play SWSE again!

Aside from being a parent.

Same been thinking of a Sunday Star Wars game.

I would redo the talents though and use 5E proficiency bonus.

His armor would be the Mandalorian Template with Beskar special material.

Same been thinking of a Sunday Star Wars game.

I would redo the talents though and use 5E proficiency bonus.
Yeah ditto. Have been meaning to overhaul it in a similar way using a fixed proficiency bonus as well, and then playing around with the talents and feats a bit.

His armor would be the Mandalorian Template with Beskar special material.
It is. Medium Beskar'gaam (Beskar material, +1 to Fort defence, allows him to apply his DR to lightsabrers etc), 2 free upgrade slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads