• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The market dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archade

Azer Paladin
Morrus, that's a very insightful view.

So what about this conundrum? If the market is shrinking because there are so many supplements out there (I know I have two bookshelves full too!), won't that precipitate a new edition from the viewpoint of the game companies?

But on the other hand, the existing edition is just fine, thanks.

Won't there be a public backlash to revitalize something that's healthy from a consumer's perspective, but tired and expended from a corporate perspective?

Numion

First Post
Actually, these kind of products are bringing me back into spending money on D&D. I hadn't bought much, except Dungeon magazines, for a while, but I bought Shackled City. And I'll get Ptolus too - complete campaigns. I'm not that interested in more rules, but the big things are just plain more interesting buys.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Archade said:
So what about this conundrum? If the market is shrinking because there are so many supplements out there (I know I have two bookshelves full too!), won't that precipitate a new edition from the viewpoint of the game companies?

Of course it will. That's how it's always worked. It's just a matter of when.

Won't there be a public backlash to revitalize something that's healthy from a consumer's perspective, but tired and expended from a corporate perspective?

There never has been before - I don't foresee it being any different this time round. A few vocal minorities, as always (mainly people like us at EN World - but we're hardly representative).

Grimstaff

Explorer
Buy Smart

Personally, I've quit buying almost anything that features PRCs, feats, or skills as a buying motivator. Not only have I quit buying them, I've quit allowing them into my game, there's almost always some broken rule that ends up bogging down play at some point.
Currently, I allow players to use only PHB and the "Complete" line of player books, and the new Eldritch Sorcery from Necromancer for spells. This has saved us all a lot of problems and players can concentrate on having fun with their characters rather than worrying about meeting their Feat requirements to take the "Kobold INfiltration Shadow Cup Thrower" PRC.
Consequently, we all buy a lot less.
These days most of my $$$ goes towards adventures (Cungeon Crawl Classics being our favorites lately) and game accessories like miniatures and such.
As far as campaign settings go, I'm happy with WotC's little Greyhawk Folio ($10) with its attendent and beautiful maps from Paizo, Forgotten Realms CS ($40) again with free maps from Paizo along with their Ancient Ruins (is that right?) book which has been useful. I was also happy with Necro's CSIO and ordered their WHF setting. THe point here being that I'm most likely done buying any campaign setting stuff for the near future.
More money for Dice!!!!

JoeBlank

Explorer
As others have mentioned, there was time when I bought all kinds of stuff, and devoured it. Then I realized I was buying supplements and never getting around to really reading them, much less acually using them in a game.

I went to only buying used (from the EN World forum mostly, and some Ebay), and extremely discounted stuff on Amazon. That didn't work, I was still buying supplements I did not need or use.

Now I am finding if I don't buy anything a for a few months and then make a purchase of something that I have read reviews on and researched to the point where I know I will like and may actually be able to use it, I am much happier. Even if it costs $50 plus, it is better than buying 3 or 4 $20 supplements and ending up only liking one of them.

I've been very happy with World's Largest Dungeon. Now I am adding Wilderlands, Shackled City, and Ptolus to my list. When I get the urge, I'll buy one of these and it should keep me happy for a few months.

Psion

Adventurer
People have more of what they want, and the market is getting more competitive.

That said, there are fewer products, but some of the stuff that is coming out is really high quality stuff.

It's the cycle of an rpg edition.

New edition - mechanical supplements frenzy - mechanics boredom - flavour frenzy - fluff boredom - new edition - and so on.

I think we'll see cool flavour stuff for a while, and innovative books that explore more niche and off-kilter subjects - because after the expected supplements have been covered a dozen times or more, it's the niche that offers breakout potential.

From what I've seen, read and heard, the market is down across the board. Which is really too bad, both from the perspective of a freelancer, and the perspective of a fan: I miss the excitement of the early years of 3E, when books came fast and furious. It was a fun time for me.

Patrick Y.

Rasyr

Banned
Banned
Archade said:

Maybe, but it will likely be a very mild one. Think about it. What sort of backlash was there for 3.5, which came out 2 years earlier than planned because of slumping sales.

In other words, this has already happened once, and it worked just fine. WotC has no reason to think that it will not work again.

Last edited:

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Consider this: people will spend most on the hobbies that they spend the most time on.

Consider also if your miniatures or other accessories purchases have increased as your D&D (or d20 System) purchases have tailed off?

What are you spending your money on?

Has the proportion of time you spend role-playing changed?

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads