The Meeting Place - Discussions and so forth

T

Tharivious_Meliamne

I've thought up another question, this one more on IC legality / law enforcement regarding weapons.

Earlier on, I recall guns being mentioned as being allowed to be on one's person, but if pulled, would result in IC trouble. I'm assuming that this would follow the guidelines of present day gun permits allowing those liscenced to carry them to have them as concealed weapons. Is this correct?

And another question along similar lines:
What about knives? Certain knives like switchblades and butterfly knives are considered illegal weapons present day in NY ( Although I believe that there is a permit for butterfly knives to be owned as 'display pieces', but I'm not sure. ). My question is this: Would these knives have been legalized? And if so, would they be legal to carry on one's person in the Meeting Place?

Also a related question:
If these weapons are illegal to carry, will there be any form of IC fine for carrying them as concealed weapons? Or, depending on the severity of the weapons possession infraction, jail-time / bail requirements?

Just some thoughts.
~ Brandon

W

WizO_Pounamu

Tharivious_Meliamne said:
If these weapons are illegal to carry, will there be any form of IC fine for carrying them as concealed weapons? Or, depending on the severity of the weapons possession infraction, jail-time / bail requirements?

:devil: Confiscation by the house! :smirk:
Could always do with a few more toys behind the bar, whaddaya reckon, Reesa?
:angel:

(Can't blame a girl for trying, can you? ;) )

Dontella

First Post
Currently, there are laws in place regarding registered handguns and the like... people can even register and legally bear concealed arms, with a permit..

Will this be in place, or no?

W

WizO_Reesa

Okay... I'm going to answer the questions all at once... :)

I've thought up another question, this one more on IC legality / law enforcement regarding weapons.

Earlier on, I recall guns being mentioned as being allowed to be on one's person, but if pulled, would result in IC trouble. I'm assuming that this would follow the guidelines of present day gun permits allowing those liscenced to carry them to have them as concealed weapons. Is this correct?

Reesa's Comment: The way I'm going to play this is that you don't necessarily have to have permits to carry weapons (illegal gun running and all) [Though there will be permits for those who want to go legit] but if you pull it in The Meeting Place, you're in for a heap of trouble. ;)

And another question along similar lines:
What about knives? Certain knives like switchblades and butterfly knives are considered illegal weapons present day in NY ( Although I believe that there is a permit for butterfly knives to be owned as 'display pieces', but I'm not sure. ). My question is this: Would these knives have been legalized? And if so, would they be legal to carry on one's person in the Meeting Place?

Reesa's Comment: Again, I'm going to go with the same kind of philosophy as above. Some knives will be legalized but you won't necessarily have to have permits to carry weapons. But remember if you draw it in the Meeting Place, you're in for a heap of trouble. ;)

Also a related question: If these weapons are illegal to carry, will there be any form of IC fine for carrying them as concealed weapons? Or, depending on the severity of the weapons possession infraction, jail-time / bail requirements?

Just some thoughts.
~ Brandon

Reesa's Comment: I am not going to have the WizOs in the TMP be strict "law enforcement" people. I think I'd like to see TMP as a bit less structured. Basically, the WIZO is a military type organization but the people working for TMP are just the go-betweens. There will be more of the "shady" type there, I'm sure. I think this can be reviewed more when TMP comes closer to opening and I can speak with the WizOs interested in hosting the room with me, to see how we want to work it out. I'll be sure to let you all know though. :)

WizO Pounamu said:
:devil: Confiscation by the house! :smirk:
Could always do with a few more toys behind the bar, whaddaya reckon, Reesa?
:angel:

(Can't blame a girl for trying, can you? ;) )

Reesa's Comments: Yes, that could always work too Pounamu. Either that or being forcefully shown to the door. Though confiscation by the house might be good.... do a little gun running on the side. I think I know of one person who might be good for that. :devil:

Seriously though.. I am going to review this closer to the date with those who will be hosting with me so that we can decide how structured we want to be. Things like if we want to have it as a military organization (General Reesa? lol) or just people working for Reesa, who's working for the big boss (Adele).... something like that.

Dontella said:
Currently, there are laws in place regarding registered handguns and the like... people can even register and legally bear concealed arms, with a permit..

Will this be in place, or no?

Reesa's Comment: I honestly believe you all will have more fun, and it will be easier for the hosts, if we just allow anyone to carry weapons. The basic theory is this - it's Reesa's Night Club. If you want to start waving handguns or knives in people's faces, you had better expect some kind of reaction from her or her staff. This could be tossing you out of the room (in character of course, though perhaps physically moving you to the "outside" for such battles). Once again, this is going to be fully reviewed at a later date. Once everything is in place, I'll post the In Character rules with information on how we'll go about enforcing them.

Thanks!
Reesa

Dontella

First Post
Hehe.. ya.. I also missed those folks who posted the exact same thing before me.

It's like the tavern, you can be armed.. b ut there better not be any blood on the floor..

S

Ssussunriyh

Suppose somebody wants to play a character who's a cop? I can think of a few possible scenarios...

1. The cop is a humble uniformed patrolman who passes by while walking his beat, and/or occasionally stops in when off-duty.

2. The cop is a plainclothes detective or federal agent, working undercover to expose illicit activities.

3. The cop accepts bribes to look the other way / informs the bad guys about possible raids and surveillance / actively participates in the illegal business.

Naturally, any of these could be combined with elements of the others.

Now, how would this be handled OOC? Like the Juxtan Marshals and the Wanted - Bounty board? Or just play it out, as long as it doesn't violate the CoC?

W

WizO_Reesa

I think it would probably be best to just let it be played out without the structure of the Fugitive list. I think, so long as you respect one another, it can work well with people just playing it as they see it. :)

What do you all think?

T

Tharivious_Meliamne

*nods* Makes perfect sense to me on the weapons rules. Seems like a good system to use, allowing both legal and illegal weapons to be used. Should also be fun to make descriptions where the character is armed with weapons that can't be seen....

As for the fugitive list: I think it will work without it, as long as common respect is shared. It should add a gritier feel to the setting, having the law be more distant, makes it fit in better with the futuristic placement.

S

Ssussunriyh

Just got the D20 Modern and Urban Arcana sourcebooks. Had nothing else to do, so I thought I'd do a bit of writing...

"Welcome to The Meeting Place, an in-character roleplaying room with a modern urban setting. Please obey its rules."

The Meeting Place is a nightclub-style establishment located in New York City circa 2030 A.D. The level of technology is only slightly more advanced than in present-day real life. Contact has been made with a number of extra-terrestrial races, and a small population of these aliens exists in and around the city. Other non-human creatures may also be encountered, but such contact is far more insidious...

In this setting, the general population does not acknowledge the existance of monsters, magic, or other supernatural phenomena. Such things are viewed as fanciful urban legends at best, or the ravings of lunatics at worst. Therefore, any creature, item, ability, event, or bit of knowledge that falls outside the scope of the modern everyday world must remain hidden or be disguised in some way. A character who openly claims to be a vampire, for example, runs the risk of being ridiculed by skeptics, arrested and detained by the authorities, or lynched by a frightened, angry mob. You have been warned...

Please understand that such things are permitted in this setting, they simply should not be touted openly. The denizens of Shadow are discreet and subtle both by nature and by necessity, and the average citizen doesn't believe in ghost stories and fairy tales. Human nature causes people to convince themselves that the werewolf they glimpsed in the alley was just a big dog, that their dwarven co-worker at the steel mill is just a short, stocky guy with a beard, or that the fire that burned down a building was caused by a gas leak, not a fireball-wielding mage...

Please help maintain the flavor of this setting by describing your character accordingly (perhaps adding an OOC tag for other players whose characters might be Aware...)

Remove ads