• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Meeting Place - Discussions and so forth

W

WizO_Pounamu

I like it! :D

Pity our Reesa won't be back for a while, as you may or may not know, she's getting married this weekend. ^ ^

But I'm sure she'll be thrilled to see it on her return. :cool: I think it fits great!

- Pounamu

W

WizO_Reesa

I must agree with Pounamu. I love that Ssussunriyh! That is exactly what The Meeting Place is all about. Very well written!

As Pounamu said, I am getting married on Saturday. I just happened to have popped past the boards and noticed this post. :D

Thanks so much and enjoy! :)
Reesa

J

Jaya Ballard Balla'th

**Grins** What's it called.. what's it called.. I don't play Werewolf, but I know it's there.. the Myst? Something? Works kinda like that last bit Ssuss said, 'bout people not wanting to believe what they see... meh, rambling..

I'm glad he found that! :-D

I've already got.. er.. pushing 7 characters. >.< Twoof 'em are "out of the norm," we'll say, but one's getting played once a month or so.. a check-and-balance charie.

But yah.. the other's my main (I dink..) and a Virtual Adept. For those of you looking to play arcana oriented characters, I suggest taking a look at Mage: The Ascension. **Ducks the WotC Powers That Be** White Wolf's World of Darkness is more gritty than the setting we'll be playing in, but the concepts are wonderfully interchangable with the setting Reesa's created for us. In fact.. they were made for it. :)

Good luck, Reesa!! **Uber-Hugs**

S

Ssussunriyh

In D20 Modern, there are two campaign styles that work that way: Shadow Chasers, and Urban Arcana. Everything is basically divided into two groups, Mundane and Shadowkind. Mundane folk are sort of like "Muggles" from the Harry Potter novels. If they see something they weren't expecting or can't explain, they think: "...Naaah..." and their subconscious mind invents some fiction to make it seem innocuous.

For example, if they meet a female drow in a nightclub, they would see her as an exotically beautiful human woman with platinum-blonde hair and a deep suntan. An orc gang member would seem to be a burly, extremely ugly human biker.

Also, most intelligent Shadowkind beings have tried to assimilate themselves into modern-day culture as best they can, to the extent of adopting human customs and using common names instead of their own traditional naming conventions.

Another thing to remember is that magic is far less prevalent in D20 Modern. Spellcasters are rare, the highest level spells you find are 5th Level, and anything beyond that requires special rituals. Pretty weak compared to, say, a Forgotten Realms campaign setting where there are dozens if not hundreds of super-powerful Archmages. On the other hand, you have this neat-and-wifty stuff called technology...

A

Asia_Draleon

Mr/ms wizo lady-sir-ma'am:

I'm very curious about the core races- mainly the ones that are named and known more widely. Are they still rejected and feared- avoided by the general public. Would the people in the bar stop to stare or would they just covertly wonder- like you would for any strange person that walked in?

Just curious- cuz this would have a large effect on rping- mainly mine
MelRazz.txt

Aesynil

First Post
The Delirium, Wrenners. And it's more of a "Everybody-run-screaming-in-fear-and-later-tell-ourselves-it-was-wild-dogs"

Er..Changeling has the Mists, though, and that's more what you're thinking of ;) But..that's just 'cauz Changeling is better then all the other White Wolf settings *Shruggle*

S

Ssussunriyh

Asia_Draleon said:
I'm very curious about the core races- mainly the ones that are named and known more widely. Are they still rejected and feared- avoided by the general public. Would the people in the bar stop to stare or would they just covertly wonder- like you would for any strange person that walked in?

Just curious- cuz this would have a large effect on rping- mainly mine

The "Mundane" people would simply pretend not to notice that your character was non-human, or would invent some plausible explanation for his/her appearance. A humanoid cat-person? Hmm, maybe they would assume that he's an actor in the Braodway musical "Cats" and simply hasn't removed his makeup? The general reaction would be "That's odd... but there are a lot of weirdos in this city."

The human "herd mentality" causes people to downplay or suppress anything that's radically different from the norm. How do people react to someone who is disfigured? They might stop and stare for a moment, but human nature and common courtesy would make them avoid mentioning it or otherwise drawing attention to it.

T

The Storyteller

That makes sense for those beings which are magical in nature and originate from Shadow, but if i remember correctly, extraterrestrials exist within the world of the Meeting Place, so the regular person who isn't Aware would have two different reactions towards a cat-person: One for those of Shadow in which the mundane would believe them to be a person who seems to exhibit some felineesque qualities, and a second for not magical ones in which thier mind would see them being for what it truly is and well, if they weren't use to such things, they might be a bit put out.

Remove ads