The misbegotten waif thread a/k/a The Fray V2

Walking Dad

First Post
That's a big if based on their rather substandard demonstrated programming skills/foresight to date.

Wow...you know things are down if I'm trashing WotC.....
We have always LPF...

I'm trying not to do so. :p But learning GURPS as a fall-back position. And, hey, that's right! If you want to talk about a company with a great online presence, check out Steve Jackson Games. And their new editions are fully backwards compatible. :p
Actually, I prefer M&M as my point-buy system of choice. I was never really a fan of the realistic/gritty concept of GURPS (but my first super hero book was for their system) and that the point costs are more based on 'chance for someone to have in real life' than 'gaming balance'.

Leif

Adventurer
Actually, I prefer M&M as my point-buy system of choice. I was never really a fan of the realistic/gritty concept of GURPS (but my first super hero book was for their system) and that the point costs are more based on 'chance for someone to have in real life' than 'gaming balance'.
Ahhh, yes, that's ONE way to look at the GURPS method. However, I prefer to allow players plenty of character points to build the characters that they want. In my GURPS Traveller game I gave them 210 character points at the start, and it seems to be working just fine so far. I also am no fan of "gritty and realistic" when it comes to RPGs. When I was first starting out in the hobby when I was about 13 or 14 years old, the guy who was my DM most of the time was one of those gritty, realistic dudes, and I HATED it. The characters couldn't do SH**, couldn't kill SH**, and couldn't get out of the SH** hole they were stuck in. It just sucked.

Walking Dad

First Post
So you don't use all the rules for wound infection and bleeding? I have one older official GURPS supplement with rules for ripping out your enemies limbs.

IMHO, GURPS becomes more difficult with more powerful and cinematic characters and M&M starts to shine with them.

BTW, I had similar GMs in Vampire (World of Darkness) and even in D&D. Seems to be really GM dependent and not so much system.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I'm trying not to do so. :p But learning GURPS as a fall-back position. And, hey, that's right! If you want to talk about a company with a great online presence, check out Steve Jackson Games. And their new editions are fully backwards compatible. :p
I have played GURPS for short periods, but something always happens to the group or game and we never got too very far.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
GandalfM, I am like a good dozen or so at the time of this post of xp ahead of you. not that hard to catch up to. Unfortunately, i need to spread around the xp befrei give you any more.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Look at all the flail snails...

the first pic was way to big so

250px-Flail_snail_fight.jpg

HM

Leif

Adventurer
So you don't use all the rules for wound infection and bleeding? I have one older official GURPS supplement with rules for ripping out your enemies limbs.

IMHO, GURPS becomes more difficult with more powerful and cinematic characters and M&M starts to shine with them.

I have played GURPS for short periods, but something always happens to the group or game and we never got too very far.
So far, my only GURPS experience is GMing my GURPS Traveller game. It is RP heavy and combat light, so we really haven't done any melee yet. We've done some very minor starship-to-starship combat, but it was more of a harassment situation rather than a fight to the death. From what I've read of the rules, melee in GURPS is, um, DEADLY for all participants. I'm pretty leery of forcing my characters into a situation where one or more of them could wind up crippled or worse. Luckily, Traveller is not very combat intensive, and it hasn't been a problem. WD, part of what you're referring to could have been changed with some newer editions. The first edition I saw was 3rd Revised, but I really didn't get to play it much and we're playing 4th Edition now.

Now, having said that, I am currently making a GURPS character for a solo game of GURPS Fantasy that Insight is going to GM for me. ( :) I feel so special!) I'm building sort of a roguish-type wizard. So, I should have more relevant information once we start playing.

Last edited:

Remove ads