• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Mist, in living black & white!

Darkwolf71

First Post
So, I picked up the 2-disc version of The Mist, after seeing that it had a B&W version on it. As an amatuer photographer, I have an appreceation for B&W that most probably don't, so this had me curious. I have to say, WOW!

After the director's introduction and explination of 'why', you really get the feeling that this was a black & white film from the word 'Go'. That it was only released in color because a B&W film wouldn't be expected to pull in any real money.

The color film is good, I liked it. Thought it for the most part was a very faithful adaptation of King's novella. Something that rarely happens. I was only dissappointed with the ending. Seeing it in B&W is... I don't know, a completely different experience. It 'feels' more 'right'. Like the original Night of the Living Dead.

The ending still seems wrong, but what an incredible film.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I plan on renting it soon, my parents haven't seen it and my father is a on-and-off fan of Steven King (I am not much of a fan of his books, besides for Dark Tower. But like the good films based off his works).

I will by myself probably watch the B&W one, and show my parents the colour.

I didn't mind the ending (though I hadn't read the book before so that may be reason why).

I have to say though, the film was REALLY good when I saw it in theatres thanks to the crowd. Tons of cheers at certain points, hell... we even clapped and cheered when one particular character died (I think you will know which one) and hushed silence at other points.

Felon

First Post
Heh. The thing I love about this movie is the way every comment on it always gravitates to the ending, which diverges from the one King wrote (which really was not much of an ending at all in terms of closure). It's really piqued my curiosity, and so far I've managed to avert my eyes from any spoilers.

Goose

First Post
I enjoyed the movie up until the ending, that ruined it for me. I didnt see the point of ending it that way, oh well.

Darkwolf71

First Post
It's really not a bad ending. I can totally understand why it was done, I mean the book ending as Felon said, had no real closure. It was great for the story, but you don't want to end a movie that way.

BUT. It was too rushed. If there had been some period of time between the event and the final scene. It would have worked fine. Even just an implied 10 or 15 minutes. It was the coincidental nature of the events that bugged me.

Although I did read someone’s thought that made things work better.
If you consider that Mrs. Carmody could have been right about needing a blood sacrifice, specifically the son, then the fact that the mist lifts as soon as the boy is killed actually works. And, since it is a Stephan King story, that makes perfect sense.
In any case, I will never watch this film in color again. B&W just works so much better for it.

Dark Psion said:
This is one of those movies that when you are done watching it, you go make sure all of your doors are locked.
Usually I try to ensure that there is no room between my couch and the wall. Luckily, this is no problem in my own home, but my parent's home used to have a corner-couch that left a lot of space for monsters and killers...

Darkwolf71

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
Usually I try to ensure that there is no room between my couch and the wall. Luckily, this is no problem in my own home, but my parent's home used to have a corner-couch that left a lot of space for monsters and killers...
Haha, lately I watch all of my horror movies through the PS3 via my HD monitor. Which is great, but it leaves the entire room including door and closet behind me. You could say it 'enhances' the experience. o.0

frankthedm

First Post
Oh, the point was use a sledgehammer to show
suicide
as the "wrong choice". Even though it resulted in the crappy and forced ending. Had the part where he
fled the vehicle and encountered the military convoy
come after the credits, that would had been fine.

IMHO the story had a fine ending and had the movie stopped as the group watched the huge thing walk over the power lines, It would have been for the best. Hell, if you are watching the DVD, hit STOP right after that and you'll have seen everything worthwhile in the movie.

Last edited:

Felon

First Post
Darkwolf71 said:
BUT. It was too rushed. If there had been some period of time between the event and the final scene. It would have worked fine. Even just an implied 10 or 15 minutes. It was the coincidental nature of the events that bugged me.
OK, I just finished watching it.

A very effective horror film! The lumbering beasts reminded me of old-school horror-movie monsters a la The Thing and Aliens, not CGI.

I agree that the ending is absurd in the extreme. "Aw, come ON!!" seems like the only reaction that it should evoke.

Remove ads