OSR The Monster Overhaul

Auchen

Villager
A few of our FLGS partners like Warp One in Edmonton and Dragon de Cuivre in Montreal already have copies. Our mostly up to date retailer list is here: Retailers
We're still getting the word out to them.

Of course, you are more then welcome to order direct. We'll also likely have a few copies at the next few conventions we attend: Ptarmicon (Yellowknife), Tabletop Scotland (Perth, UK), Brisbane Comic Con (Australia) and Essen Spiel (Germany).

Ah this is excellent, I'd love to grab a copy at Tabletop Scotland! I should be there early Saturday morning and I'll keep my fingers crossed there's copies left.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
My hard copy just arrived by mail today. Really impressive. Larger in every dimension than a WotC D&D book, although a similar height to Skerple's Magical Industrial Revolution.

Every page of this book has something useful on it.

Orcs, for instance, have a few paragraphs directly addressing the problem of evil -- a.k.a. the entire online discourse around orcs over the last few years. Skerples lays out the choices -- orcs are either inherently evil created beings or are people, and as good or bad as people are generally, exhorts the reader to pick one and stick with it because mixing the two in a campaign can cause a whole lot of problems, and notes, without judgment, that the Monster Overhaul is going with "orcs are people." Now, the next time the topic comes up, I can just hit someone with this book, which elegantly and even-handedly handles the issue very neatly.

Meanwhile, vampires get four pages, including a Dyson Logos-designed haunted manor house and lots and lots of random tables for generating everything about your adventure's vampire. I suspect a DM could be told "hey, we want to play a vampire adventure and we want to start playing in five minutes" and be able to pull it off in a manner satisfactory to both DM and players with this book. A pretty neat trick.

Last edited:

GamerforHire

Explorer
I feel incredibly stupid for having just found this thread, because I bought a physical copy (for a fair but not cheap price) from a Kickstarter backer on a Facebook RPG Auction group, and the PDF-only option from DriveThru is not cheap. I could have checked on this thread and realized I could buy book+PDF for a cheaper price together. Oh well. The book is terrific, though.

I feel incredibly stupid for having just found this thread, because I bought a physical copy (for a fair but not cheap price) from a Kickstarter backer on a Facebook RPG Auction group, and the PDF-only option from DriveThru is not cheap. I could have checked on this thread and realized I could buy book+PDF for a cheaper price together. Oh well. The book is terrific, though.
I wonder...do people back kickstarters just to resell the product as soon as it comes out?

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
Ah this is excellent, I'd love to grab a copy at Tabletop Scotland! I should be there early Saturday morning and I'll keep my fingers crossed there's copies left.
If you wanted to "reserve" a copy, DM me and I will give you a free shipping coupon code. See you at Tabletop Scotland!

GamerforHire

Explorer
I wonder...do people back kickstarters just to resell the product as soon as it comes out?

My guess is that some people may also be buying an extra copy or two of the physical book copies, maybe to sell or for a friend who later decides they don’t want it. I know I have bought an extra copy of things here and there because I want a copy for my group, but it turns out no one wants it after all.

I also think some definitely buy to sell (based on what I see on EBay), but that is a risky proposition because you are essentially betting that the game becomes popular enough that the Kickstarter goodies become in high demand.

Remove ads