The most damaging 4th edition attack by Class?

Shabe

First Post
If it's a ranged power requiring an attack roll, he picks a square and takes a -5. If it's a close or area power requiring an attack roll, he picks a square and doesn't take a -5. If it's a utility power that has a target but no attack roll, he picks a square. And if it's a power that affects an ally without designating him a target, it's automatic.

About the only powers that automatically fail due to broken line of sight are ones that say something like "Each ally in the burst you can see".
-Hyp.

I thought los was required for forced movement.

Mongolia Jones

First Post
Sure, but "people running through" is exactly what can't avoid damage under your ruling, since running through is (generally) something you do on your own turn.

To be honest, I couldn't find any examples of push/pull powers being used on people on youtube.

*sarcasm off*

The examples of people running through fires without getting burned was to give you a real world basis for your reasoning. Plus you seem to have missed my mentioning of push/pulls.

I'll get you started:
1. People run through fires in the real world - (yaay, it's in the realm of possibilities)
2. But magical fires in DnD are hotter than in the RW and therefore will always cause damage if you attempt to run or move through it (oops, now we have a problem)
3. Alas, push/pulls/slides are special, they can avoid OAs and difficult terrain where regular movement can't (woot, maybe I can come up with a reason why a push/pull can move a creature through a WoF without damage)

If it's a ranged power requiring an attack roll, he picks a square and takes a -5. If it's a close or area power requiring an attack roll...

If the ally targets his kobold friend with a push/pull power that requires an attack roll (where a damage roll is not far behind, very bad for kobold friend), maybe he's better off keeping the kobold in the Wall of Fire for fear of damaging him worse than what the WoF would have done itself.

It's kinda like a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation. :p

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I thought los was required for forced movement.

I can't find anything to that effect - DMG p44 says nothing about it, and PHB p285 requires line of effect, not line of sight.

There may be something somewhere I've missed.

Mongolia Jones said:
It's kinda like a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation.

Right, but there are powers that will permit out-of-turn movement which don't require an attack roll. White Raven Formation, say - no attack roll necessary. If your ally is in a close burst 5, he can take a move action... so the lack of line of sight is not an issue.

And an attack roll doesn't automatically mean damage. A Cleric might use Command, figuring that dazing you for one turn is a better bet than letting you fry. A Rogue might use Flying Foe and hope he misses. The Fighter might Bull Rush, feeling that he can take the damage better than you can.

-Hyp.

Last edited:

Remove ads