D&D 5E The Multiclassing Poll!

On a scale from 1-5, how common is multiclassing in your experience?

• 1. No multiclassing.

Votes: 13 11.0%
  • 2. Multiclassing is rare or disfavored.

Votes: 65 55.1%
  • 3. About 50/50.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • 4. Multiclassing is the rule, not the exception.

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • 5. Pretty much everyone multiclasses and/or dips.

Votes: 4 3.4%

• Poll closed .

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Out of 25 characters across my games, we've had 4 multiclass. 2 Ranger/Rogues, a Cleric/Magus, and a Cleric/Rogue/Warlock.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Anyone else have a bardbarian?

Multiclassing works well in 5E, but so does single classing. And its just easier.

As others have touched on, many multiclassing concepts need a fair number of levels before they make sense, and a lot of games never get to those levels.

I said 50/50, as an approximation. As a player, leaving out <10th-level characters, I've had a single-classed cleric 18 and a barbarian 12/fighter 4. I've run one campaign to 20th level, and out of six PCs, we had a warlock 13/fighter 4/rogue 3 and a rogue 15/warlock 5. They were both in double digit levels in their main class before taking other class levels. The others were single-classed fighter, cleric, wizard, and bard.

For <10th-level characters (current campaigns, one-shots, etc.), MCs have been very rare.

manduck

Explorer
In my current group (we've played together for close to a decade now), not one of us has multi-classed. I never do it as a player. I'm typically pretty happy with whatever single class I choose. I tend to pick a class that offers a variety of things I can do to keep me happy. That seems easier in 5E with things like Arcane Trickster and Eldrich Knight, where you can add a little bit of magic to something if you like.

When I DM, my players never seem to multi-class either. Some never felt comfortable enough with the rules to delve in multi-classing (even though they know the system really well). Others seem to just really like what their chosen class has to offer and don't want to deviate from that. They come up with characters that can fit into a single class and that's good enough for them. There are a couple of people in my group who also started playing D&D with 4E. They find the magic system of 5E to be a bit intimidating. So they either avoid magic classes or they decide to tackle a magic user and just want to focus on learning what it's all about. They don't want to add multi-classing on top of something they perceive as complicated enough.

So it looks like we're a no multi-class characters kind of group. I would have figured someone would try it by now but no one seems all that interested in my circle.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
I multiclass for story reasons. My tiefling Barbarian/Fighter devoted herself to a demon-fey thingy and so ended up multi-classing as a blade-pact warlock even though I had originally not planned on that at all.

Satyrn

First Post
Semantic truth!

Rare or disfavored.

Perhaps-

"Unusual or frowned upon."

"Uncommon, yet accepted."

"Bigger than a breadbox, and smaller than a rhinoceros."

"Only with the windows closed, lights off, under the sheets on a Saturday night of a holiday weekend."

But as written I feel like I voted "multiclassing doesn't happen much because Peer Pressure"

Satyrn

First Post
That wasn't the intent. Disfavored, as in disliked.

I was trying to give a scale, where:

(1) was no multiclassing (either due to preference, or rule); and
(2) was limited multiclassing, either because no one was doing it, or people weren't big fans of it for whatever reason.

Basically, though, it's a 1-5 scale.

Yeah. I just don't like that my vote for rare could be misconstrued as a vote for disfavored. My table likes multiclassing but we don't do it too often.

But I also don't want to hijack tge thread (I find I need to say that more often than I ought to!)

Remove ads