D&D 5E The Multiclassing Poll!

On a scale from 1-5, how common is multiclassing in your experience?

• 1. No multiclassing.

Votes: 13 11.0%
  • 2. Multiclassing is rare or disfavored.

Votes: 65 55.1%
  • 3. About 50/50.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • 4. Multiclassing is the rule, not the exception.

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • 5. Pretty much everyone multiclasses and/or dips.

Votes: 4 3.4%

• Poll closed .

Croesus

Adventurer
In my group, we have:
- 1 player who has never multiclassed.
- 1 player who rarely multiclasses.
- 2 players who often multiclass. (roughly 50/50)
- 1 player who always multiclasses.

So a pretty diverse group. I have no clue is this is common.

Wulffolk

Explorer
I most often prefer to play concepts that are melee warriors, which also have splashes of secondary magical resources. In the past (3e) this almost always required multi-classing. In 5e it is easier to do without multi-classing, with various sub-classes, and feats like magic initiate and ritual caster. I also typically like to play character's with diverse skill sets, which is now easier to do in 5e with backgrounds.

So, I went from a 3e player that always multi-classed to a 5e player that is about 50/50

I have voted 50/50 but it is actually a bit rarer.
I do multiclass a lot and some players do. At least they do consider it a lot. Its just that multiclassing is very well implemented. A choice but no necessarity.

Li Shenron

Legend
... how common is multiclassing in 5e?

No multiclassing.

I acknoledge that this is mostly because unfortunately I ain't playing the game often enough, and we have played it only into the second tier anyway. In addition, I play mostly with casual gamers, family and friends. As a DM I do not forbid multiclassing at all (I would even relax the stacking rules and ignore the prerequisites), but my kind of players are genuinely uninterested.

As a player, I'd rather try out all classes before thinking of multiclassing.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I've run two campaigns and played in two long-ish running AL games, and multiclassing doesn't seem to be popular. I don't allow it in my games (sort of; I would allow what I think of as "dual-classing," where once a character has reached at least 4th level they can just change to a different class), but none of my players even asked about it. And out of the 30 or so total players across the AL games, only two seemed interested and only one actually multiclassed.

thethain

First Post
My highest level AL character is a Paladin/Lock, my girlfriend absolutely loves bard x/Arcane Trickster 3.

In my latest home game as a player I stuck to fighter till 11, then it felt kinda pointless (both mechanically, and flavor) to stick with fighter so picked up 1 level of cleric then 1 level of rogue.

Generally speaking, multiclassing grants more versatility, and removes a bit of raw power. Since I prefer well rounded characters who never are completely useless, I tend to prefer to prefer to grab another class if it rounds out my options.

Tallifer

Hero
My group plays only once a month at most, and all have busy lives, so it seems to requires to much bother for them to try multiclassing.

Also, as Dungeon Master, I have a generous rule whereby any new character starts at the same level as the party, so if a player wants to try another class, he just creates a new character. The only penalty is that he does not get any of the items which his former character had. Fortunately, 5E requires no items at all to keep up with the encounters.

I myself often multiclass when I play because I try to recreate characters from old systems using 5E rules. For example, I might build a warlord using a Fighter with a bit of Cleric for healing; or build a Friar (from Dark Age of Camelot) with a Cleric and a Monk or Fighter; or a Bene Gesserit using various classes.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
With the pair of Tyranny games I ran and the pair of Curse games I currently run... multiclassing has occurred a few times, but always because the character progression of the PC's story made it make it sense to do so. A paladin made a pact with the Queen of Air & Darkness and took some warlock levels... a feylock saw the "error of his ways" and went wizard... a bard accepted the spirit of a dragon knight into him and gained a paladin level.

I tend to be generous with class feature swapping though, so if any player was looking to multiclass from the get-go because there were certain features that made sense for how they thought their character would be built... I usually work with them to just select a single class and then feature swap so they gain the bits they wanted. Usually Fighting Styles or things like that.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
There is no disfavor/shunning, but at the levels we usually play (1-11) it usually doesn't come up until after the level 5 power bump, and then it usually only 1-2 characters out of 5-6 use it, so it's nowhere near 50/50. Anywhere between 16% (1/6) to 40% (2/5) in an average group.

Remove ads