D&D 5E The Multiclassing Poll!

On a scale from 1-5, how common is multiclassing in your experience?

• 1. No multiclassing.

Votes: 13 11.0%
  • 2. Multiclassing is rare or disfavored.

Votes: 65 55.1%
  • 3. About 50/50.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • 4. Multiclassing is the rule, not the exception.

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • 5. Pretty much everyone multiclasses and/or dips.

Votes: 4 3.4%

• Poll closed .

Mercule

Adventurer
I've only seen one multi-class PC in 5E. Other editions vary, but that's the way this one has gone. The lone multi-classer was not happy with his decision. I don't think it was a power issue so much as it was the way the character personality developed.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
While multiclassing is definitely provided as an option in the games I've been a part of (including the campaign I ran as DM), no one has chosen to multiclass.

EvanNave55

Explorer
I would probably vote around a 2.5 or so. While the majority of characters aren't multiclassed it's by no means rare. I'd estimate maybe 25-30ish percent of characters multiclass in my experience.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using EN World mobile app

pogre

Legend
It's not forbidden at my table or tables I play at, but I have not seen it yet.

On the other hand, I don't play with hardcore D&D players - we play a lot of different systems, so I am sure that is a factor. If we were mostly into D&D I am sure players would explore the options a bit more.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
In my only 5e campaign, out of 8 PCs, one is MC - wizard took one level of cleric because he thought the party had too few healing resources. Based on how this has played, in future campaigns I am thinking that I will disallow 1 and 2 level dips unless the player has a really, really good RP reason.

I'm curious about your experience. What was bad about the dip - didn't fit the in-game narrative well, too powerful, fall too far behind? In other words: what didn't work?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Yeah. I just don't like that my vote for rare could be misconstrued as a vote for disfavored. My table likes multiclassing but we don't do it too often.

But I also don't want to hijack tge thread (I find I need to say that more often than I ought to!)

I'm with you Satyrn. "Disfavored" came across to me as "the party doesn't like it, so most players won't buck the table and chose it." I ended up voting 50/50 because at 1-2 out of 5 I'm closer to that then rare or to what I thought was general disapproval reducing the numbers.

That said, when 5e first came out there was a holdover from earlier editions that "multiclassing was for twinks", which is probably why I took it like that.

ArwensDaughter

Adventurer
I mostly DM, but have played a bit. So far no one in the games I DM has multiclassed. Most players are new to the game, and I haven't really mentioned multi-classing as an option to them. My two (teen) children know it is an option, but haven't been excited to try it. I am planning on multi-classing in the PbP I'm currently a part of. My character is a lvl 1 fighter but will be shifting to sorceror beginning next level. This is partially for mechanical reasons: I took a level of fighter to avoid being so squishy and give her some non-spell based combat options. But I also had some solid RP/backstory reasons as well.

As a DM, I think I'd require those who want to multi-class to 1) have a certain amount of experience playing D&D and 2)Have a RP justification for multiclassing in addition to an (optional) mechanical/optimizing reason.

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
2.5 year, multi-DM, multi-PC per player campaign that has run for 99 game sessions:

Of the 19 characters played in 10 or more sessions 7 have multi-classed. (There are another dozen or so characters played in less than 10 game sessions).

The most common "dip" is cleric 1 by three different characters. A fourth character is fighter 6/cleric 4.

Two characters have 3 classes: Cleric 1/Warlock 8/Sorcerer 3 and Fighter 6/Ranger 4/Rogue 1.

Two of the three DMs have two PCs each, and both of those DMs have multi-classed both of their characters.

TiwazTyrsfist

Adventurer
At the moment, I'm only getting to play AL at cons, where I'll typically play 9-16 games depending on the con...

Anyway, I have NEVER played in a game with a Multiclass character in 5e.

It's actually really odd to me, since back in 3.X almost everyone MC'd often into 3 or 4 classes.

But, to me, MCing in 5e isn't something I've done because the baked in class archetypes allow for most of the things I would have MCd for in earlier editions.

Like, Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster. Or the different bonuses Cleric domains give them.

Also, taking away the differing BABs and iterative attacks of 3.X, the overall effect of MCing on a character seems much less to me.

EDIT: Additionally, It seems to me like in 3.X, MCing was generally done when you hit a swath of boring levels, like, oh all the next five levels of this will get me is more uses of this power, nothing actually new, so you MC into a different class instead to get NEW options. And in 5e, they've done a very good job of not having to many boring blocks. All the classes get something new and interesting pretty much every other level at least.

Last edited:

Remove ads