The Navigator (Psionic Leader for Sci-Fantasy)

Rartemass

First Post
With Blink and They're Gone level 13 encounter warp, I would state that the allies can still act on their turn. They should get a single action only. This would be explained by the effort to move in a distorted demi-plane. This way they can use a healing surge, move to a better position, etc. Otherwise it could be bad as the enemies can move and heal etc but he allies can't.
I'd also add Spacial Influence: You receive your full set of actions while in the demi-plane.

For Quickening level 16 utility warp, I'd change the bonus from '1' to 'your charisma modifier'. At level 16 an extra 1 isn't that useful.

I'm looking through the Paragon paths now. Will comment soon.
One other thing is I'd increase the number of healing surges a bit. You have several abilities that use a healing surge to power something else. A cleric has 7+con mod and a paladin has 10+con mod. I'd put it between those two, probably 8+con mod.

Rartemass

First Post
For the feats I would change the following:

Eerie Presence
Prerequisites: Cha 13

The reason for this is that heroic tear feats generally have a stat of 13 required. Also for what the descriptive text says, it makes more sense to me to use charisma instead on constitution.

For a feat Star Burst seems too powerful. I would consider changing the damage dice to D4s.

Last edited:

Rartemass

First Post
For Saeculorum Paragon Path:

I'm assuming that the Temporal Influence class feature is meant to be a prerequisite but you forgot to type it in?
Withering Action (11th Level ability):
The ongoing damage is too high. I would set it a a specific number (say 10), or variable from a stat such as 3 + constitution modifier.

Weight of Ages level 11 encounter warp:
I'd make the penalty to attack roles equal to the stat mod not half of it.

For Star Child Paragon Path:
Astral Authority (11th Level):
This is too powerful. I would limit it a number of sustain minor actions equal to your constitution modifier -2 (minimum 2).

Neutron Aspect
I'd add in that all squares within 3 of the Neutron Star are treated as difficult terrain due to the gravitational pull. This way the gravitational pull gets a bit stronger the closer you get, until you are squished.

Rartemass

First Post
All in all this is an interesting class.
As a player I would be happy using it, and as a GM I would be happy to allow it (I would make the changes I suggested though).

With some slight modifications you could include this in regular DnD.
Nice work.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
My 4E rules-fu is too weak to provide you with worthwhile, rules-based comments but I love the flavour of the class. Very creative and imaginative. You really show how the 4E system could be applied to a high-fantasy sci-fi game.

Fragsie

Explorer
I'll start off by saying a big thankyou for the feedback :) it's been a while since anyone has had any insights.
The Temporal Influence and Spacial Influence abilities seem overpowered, especially when at paragon levels.
As most Paragon Paths have an ability that does something extra when an action point is spent, having the above abilities stacking with those can be quite powerful. I'd suggest changing them to an encounter power than can be used twice per encounter in Heroic, 3 times in Paragon, and 4 times in Epic.
I have to disagree with you here; partially anyway. Temporal Influence is exactly the same as the Warlords Inspiring Presence, so i don't think it needs to be changed. Spatial Influence however I would be prepared to drop the teleport distance down to 1/2 Cha mod (min: 1). Does anyone else think this is necessary?

Your at-wills are fine except for the following:
Doom Prophecy is weak.
I'd change it to "a bonus to attack and damage rolls equal to your Wisdom modifier. Increase to 2 + Wisdom Modifier at level 11, and 4 + Wisdom Modifier at level 21."
I'd also add the following:
Temporal Influence:
Target ally regains hit points equal to your constitution modifier. Increase to 1D6 + constitution modifier at level 16.
You bring up an interesting point here; th power doesn't scale as it is. This power was based off the Warlords Commander's Strike, but with a bonus to the attack roll rather than the damage roll. A bonus to attack being a much more powerful advantage that a bonus to damage rolls in 4th Ed; I droped the bonus froma full stat mod to half a stat mod, so i'll add the scaling bonus as you suggest, but not the damage bonus. Also i'd like to stick to the WotC format (something which was pointed out to me on the WotC forums recently), which means no build bonuses on at-wills, utilities and dailies, this does mean i'll be going through and cutting some bonuses rather than adding them!

For Slow Motion level 1 encounter warp, I would add the following:
Temporal Influence: The targets gain a -2 penalty to saves to end this effect.

For Rapid Bout level 1 daily warp, I would add in that the allies do the attack as a free action.

I'd change Tactical Shift level 2 utility warp to "shift" instead of "slide".

For Pause for Breath level 2 utility warp, I'd add:
Temporal Influence: The target gains healing surge + your Wisdom modifier.

For Horrific Fate level 3 encounter warp, I'd make it 1D6 + constitution modifier damage, and target is dazed (save ends).

For White Particle level 7 encounter warp, I'd increase the dame to 2d6. This will keep it inline with the other warps at that level.

Other level 1 to 10 stuff is good.
Slow Motion, hmm, I do need a temporal build bonus at this level, but had considered adding the following to Tip the Scales rather than Slow otion:

Temporal Influence: After damaging the target you can choose to spend a healing surge and regain no hit points; instead, an ally who spends a healing surge through the use of this power regains an extra 1d8 + your Constitution modifier hit points.
Rapid Bout, I wonder if this is necessary, or indeed true, as the allies attacks use up your standard action, If you still think it's needed I will change it :p
Tactical Shift Will Do :)
Pause for Breath, as i said, i will be removing any build bonuses to non encounter powers, so this is a bit redundant.
Horrific Fate, Dazed is quite a powerful status at lvl 3, none of the PHB classes can inflict it as (save ends) at this level. I could increase the damage as you suggest but would have to change 'save ends' to 'until the end of your next turn', do you think i should do that?
White Particle, same thing here really; blinded is a hugely powerful staus; it makes the target grant CA to everyone and gives everyone total concealment against the target.

With Blink and They're Gone level 13 encounter warp, I would state that the allies can still act on their turn. They should get a single action only. This would be explained by the effort to move in a distorted demi-plane. This way they can use a healing surge, move to a better position, etc. Otherwise it could be bad as the enemies can move and heal etc but he allies can't.
I'd also add Spacial Influence: You receive your full set of actions while in the demi-plane.

For Quickening level 16 utility warp, I'd change the bonus from '1' to 'your charisma modifier'. At level 16 an extra 1 isn't that useful.

I'm looking through the Paragon paths now. Will comment soon.
One other thing is I'd increase the number of healing surges a bit. You have several abilities that use a healing surge to power something else. A cleric has 7+con mod and a paladin has 10+con mod. I'd put it between those two, probably 8+con mod.
Blink and they're Gone I think you've misread this power; the allies don't get any actions while in the demi-plane because they come back to the battle at the start of their next turn, meaning they get their turn as normal.
For the feats I would change the following:

Eerie Presence
Prerequisites: Cha 13

The reason for this is that heroic tear feats generally have a stat of 13 required. Also for what the descriptive text says, it makes more sense to me to use charisma instead on constitution.

For a feat Star Burst seems too powerful. I would consider changing the damage dice to D4s.
Eerie Presence This feat uses Con rather than Cha because it is based off the Navigators influence on time more than it is space; the further from normal time-flow the Nav is, the more disconcerting his presence is to others. I could be convinced to drop the requirement down to 13, but this means that spatial Navs would be able to take the feat from 1st level.
Star Burst I have to disagree with you here; in order to use the starbusrt, the Nav must use a standard action, i think this more than easily balances a 1d6+1 burst 1.
For Saeculorum Paragon Path:

I'm assuming that the Temporal Influence class feature is meant to be a prerequisite but you forgot to type it in?
Withering Action (11th Level ability):
The ongoing damage is too high. I would set it a a specific number (say 10), or variable from a stat such as 3 + constitution modifier.

Weight of Ages level 11 encounter warp:
I'd make the penalty to attack roles equal to the stat mod not half of it.

For Star Child Paragon Path:
Astral Authority (11th Level):
This is too powerful. I would limit it a number of sustain minor actions equal to your constitution modifier -2 (minimum 2).

Neutron Aspect
I'd add in that all squares within 3 of the Neutron Star are treated as difficult terrain due to the gravitational pull. This way the gravitational pull gets a bit stronger the closer you get, until you are squished.
Saeculorum Yes; Temporal Influence is supposed to be a requirement;), This path was based off the Clerics Radiant Servant paragon path, and the Withering action ability is exactly the same as that paths Radiant action.
With Weight of Ages we come back to the fact that a bonus to attack rolls is quite a powerful thing in 4th Ed, I'm reluctant to bump this power up.
Star Child Both of your suggestions for this PP are good ones, and i shall add them in :)
All in all this is an interesting class.
As a player I would be happy using it, and as a GM I would be happy to allow it (I would make the changes I suggested though).

With some slight modifications you could include this in regular DnD.
Nice work.

My 4E rules-fu is too weak to provide you with worthwhile, rules-based comments but I love the flavour of the class. Very creative and imaginative. You really show how the 4E system could be applied to a high-fantasy sci-fi game.
Thank you both for the compliments :D

Rartemass

First Post
Rapid Bout, I wonder if this is necessary, or indeed true, as the allies attacks use up your standard action, If you still think it's needed I will change it :p

The main reason I added this is is because I've seen other abilities from DnD core include it. It just covers the GM to know what actions the players need to take.

Horrific Fate, Dazed is quite a powerful status at lvl 3, none of the PHB classes can inflict it as (save ends) at this level. I could increase the damage as you suggest but would have to change 'save ends' to 'until the end of your next turn', do you think i should do that?
White Particle, same thing here really; blinded is a hugely powerful staus; it makes the target grant CA to everyone and gives everyone total concealment against the target.

Your point here is valid. Changing to the end of your next turn instead of save ends is a good idea.

Blink and they're Gone I think you've misread this power; the allies don't get any actions while in the demi-plane because they come back to the battle at the start of their next turn, meaning they get their turn as normal.

I think I may have confused my point here. I realise that the allies don't get a turn but I think it may actually help the enemies. The enemies know where they were. If they are smart enough to know that they will return to the same spot then they can react accordingly, like move an obstacle in the square they will reappear, or move there themselves. They could move through the square the ally defender was threatening to get to a controller at the back without taking an opportunity attack. For these reasons I think the allies should get an action; or slide your con in square; or something else, so that they are not in the same position when they return. At the moment all it does is remove them from damage for a turn but the enemies can regroup and make things really bad upon their return.

I agree with most of the other comments and alterations you suggested.
With these in place you have a very good class on your hands.

Remove ads