• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The New Druid

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
I love druids, however...

Am I the only one who thinks a 0xp druid that has an at-will, minor action polymorph ability, which would be a paragon power (at least) for any other class, is a bit much?

Even 1st edition had it as what would be a 5th level daily power.

You must be joking. The basic Wild Shape power does absolutely nothing but let you shift one square when you leave it. The change to animal form is purely cosmetic. It doesn't change your stats. It doesn't give you senses, movement modes, underwater breathing, or anything else that animals naturally have. All Wild Shape does is let you use beast form keyword powers, while restricting you from using other powers. This is not an advantage, its a drawback! No other class has to "shift" to be able to access all of their powers. No other class has their powers segregated the way Druids do. And you'd think that being able to turn into an animal would at least be useful as a disguise, but the power doesn't even offer that option (powers do only what they say they do, and since the power doesn't say you can use it for disguise, as other powers like disguise self do, this means it can't be used for that purpose).

Wild Shape in 4th edition is a useless gimick coated in fluff. You have to take other powers or feats before it offers any advantage at all (and those advantages are modest at best). You can't even turn into a rat or bird and pick up small objects anymore.

Kweezil

Caffeinated Reprobate
Instead I'd like you to do a little exercise: you show me where it says Wild Shape does work outside of combat! :) (Because that's really where the burden of proof should lie, considering the 4E design parameters)

Ok then...

The very first line of the Wild Shape description. ("You change from your humanoid form to beast form or vice versa.")

No duration is noted so it is instantaneous, however the inferance of that is that the druid remains in the shifted form until they use wild shape again to change. Before anyone complains about inferring rather than proving, no duration is noted for healing word or fireball, we must infer through common sense that the hp restored or damage taken lasts beyond either 'Instantaneous' or the duration of the combat.

Regarding the use of powers outside combat: "If you use a power outside combat, it lasts for 5 minutes unless otherwise noted. Durations are discussed in more detail on page 278." - PHB, pg.58, paragraph 5 (Duration).

CapnZapp

Legend
Kweezil, I agree the game becomes more fun if powers are useful out of combat to as a large degree as is possible.

But thinking you can use an at-will power every five minutes all day long is what lead the OP into trouble here. So don't go there.

The other option is to go down the route advocated by Falling Icicle. As you can imagine, this is the more depressing and boring route.

But no matter how you look at it, the claim Druids can turn into animals for hours on end (with the implication this makes them blend in - and thus become over-powered) is simply unsupportable - there is nothing to show this was the intent of the designers.

I don't think this issue merits errata. Instead choose your poison; either Wild Shape lasts through encounters and nothing more, or it is really useless (where anyone can see it's a human dressed up like an Elk or whatever, turning Druids into people that need mental care)

As I said, 4E is about encounters, so if you won't change your mind based on what I've written so far, I can't help you...

Of course, as long as your group do not find effective long-duration Wild Shape to be overpowering, then there is no problem. But if you do find this to be a balance issue, then my only advice is simply to not house-rule it in. ;)

Siberys

Adventurer
Thing is, this is not a Big DealTM even if it is long-duration, use-as-much-as-you-like. At most, it's a +2 circumstance bonus to skill checks - no more. You can't seemlessly blend in as an animal and do scouting, 'cause someone will notice that that deer is paying a little too close attention. It requires skill checks and creativity to pull that sort of thing off.

As to how long wild shape lasts, it's a toggle. When you first use wild shape, you enter the beast-form state, and stay there until you use wild shape again. It's pretty clear that that's how it works. Even if it only lasts five minutes, wild shape is at-will and a minor action - nothing RAW would prevent the druid from simply re-using the power. There really isn't a poison to choose.

Last edited:

Fanaelialae

Legend
Wild Shape lasts until you use it again. It says that it can only be used once per round. Resuming your normal form requires you to use Wild Shape again in the same round if you assume that Wild Shape has an instant or one round duration. Hence, it is obviously a toggle. Just because every single rule isn't spelled out in big, bold letters doesn't mean they don't exist, just as we can infer that gravity is a default assumption from the falling rules.

It also makes you look like the animal whose form you choose, rather than an obvious "druid in sheep's clothing". If you don't believe that, take a look at the Doppelganger's Change Shape ability on pg 276 of the MM. Either this ability does absolutely nothing (which makes one question why the designers bothered to write it up in the first place) or it is a tool which facilitates activities that might otherwise be difficult or impossible (such as a gnome attempting to impersonate an orc chieftain).

If a doppelganger assassinates your buddy, Rem the Thief, and then attempts to infiltrate the party, the PCs don't magically know that he's a doppelganger. He had better do a damn fine job of acting the part (via Bluff) though or else they'll realize that something is very wrong with Rem.

Similarly, a druid in Wild Shape needs to act the part if he's to use it to his advantage. Under the right circumstances, as others have suggested, a +2 may be in order. If the druid fails to blend in however, people are going to take notice that this animal is behaving strangely. They may not know this animal to be the druid per se, but they can assume that it's been magicked in some way, which means the jig is up and the druid will probably need to make a hasty escape.

Magic is a default assumption of the D&D universe. Even people who don't interact with it on a day to day basis are going to grow suspicious if they realize that the dog across the street is ignoring the children trying to play with it and has instead been staring at them for the past minute. The default laws of their universe are acknowledged to be far less defined than those of our modern one.

While it's your game, I think it would be excessive to delay Wild Shape until level 11. While the class would still be playable, Wild Shape is the primary dynamic feature that serves to differentiate druids from invokers and wizards. It probably wouldn't break the class, but I think it would likely make it a little flat.

Crowley42

First Post
While I haven't read all of these posts I'd have to agree that a druid unable to shape shift at level one in 4e significantly hinders them. Unless of course you want to play the spell casting type. What 4e does is to make a character choose between focusing on making the most of his shape shift ability or of his spell casting ability. The mechanics in 4e is quite combat focused and as someone said the out-of-combat is more free form. Mechanically shape shifting doesnt allow the druid to turn into a mouse, and as such no epic lvl 2 druid assissins. Instead of completely rewritting the class why don't you focus on making it work for you. IE gain small/large forms at lvl 11 or perhaps via a feat.

In older editions the shapeshift introduced higher statistics. What the new edition does is add low level, less effective shapeshifting (unless your rules loose). I know in our 3.5 campaign we had a druid that would at 6th lvl mind you, change into an owl and scout ahead and/or fly above the battlefield utilixing the natural spell feat to shoot down splinter bolts at everything and then turning into a bear for some melee action with bear-spell-casting. THAT was an OP druid. I much prefer a druid that can only use specific attacks in combat while in form and stepping up as DM to say NO SECRET SQUIRREL SPIES.

CapnZapp

Legend
Thing is, this is not a Big DealTM even if it is long-duration, use-as-much-as-you-like. At most, it's a +2 circumstance bonus to skill checks - no more.

Similarly, a druid in Wild Shape needs to act the part if he's to use it to his advantage. Under the right circumstances, as others have suggested, a +2 may be in order. If the druid fails to blend in however, people are going to take notice that this animal is behaving strangely. They may not know this animal to be the druid per se, but they can assume that it's been magicked in some way, which means the jig is up and the druid will probably need to make a hasty escape.

I think these two quotes highlight the problem of discussing the issue at all.

For some people, it's obvious that if you can turn yourself into a deer, you will go pretty much unnoticed in natural surroundings. (We're taking much more than a +2 bonus here, because the Goblin guard might stare right at the deer and still not get it) For these people, limiting Wild Shape to encounters or 5 minute intervals is the best solution.

For other people (like the ones above) nerfing Wild Shape considerably (relative to the the opposing point of view) isn't a problem. In this case, Wild Shape can go without a duration, because it's nearly worthless.

The problem becomes when you don't accept that there are people who feel your solution is worse than the original problem.

For some people, making a Wild Shaped Druid trigger skill checks (Perception, Insight, etc) is an unbearable and massive nerf. For others, limiting powers to only work within the encounter framework is equally unacceptable.

It's only when you assume one thing and still use th
e power in the way the other group might use it there becomes a problem.

So again, if you and your group doesn't have a problem with either the functionality or the duration of Wild Shape then everything's fine, and no restrictions are necessary.

But please don't complain Druids are overpowered. It's equally probably it's just you who are mixing assumptions of your own with the ones laid down by the game:

If you prefer "fool-proof" shapeshifting, don't allow it out of encounters.

If you prefer powers aren't limited by encounters, make shapeshifting "just another power" with no implied abilities to confound.

And if you allow both, don't complain it makes Druids powerful! :)

Fanaelialae

Legend
For some people, it's obvious that if you can turn yourself into a deer, you will go pretty much unnoticed in natural surroundings. (We're taking much more than a +2 bonus here, because the Goblin guard might stare right at the deer and still not get it) For these people, limiting Wild Shape to encounters or 5 minute intervals is the best solution.

I would suggest in the above case to have Wild Shape grant a man-beast form. At will Wild Shape that can be used outside of combat with indefinite duration, but good luck escaping the notice of the goblin guard when you resemble a werestag.

For other people (like the ones above) nerfing Wild Shape considerably (relative to the the opposing point of view) isn't a problem. In this case, Wild Shape can go without a duration, because it's nearly worthless.

Nearly worthless? Wild Shape in this case is an instant disguise! I doubt many DMs would allow a normally dressed halfling rogue to Bluff people into seeing him as a dog (I wouldn't). Wild Shape plus a successful Bluff check equals "just a harmless old hound". It simply isn't an automatic "I win" button for scouting encounters and the like. "Not an automatic I win" does not translate to "worthless" as far as I'm concerned.

The problem becomes when you don't accept that there are people who feel your solution is worse than the original problem.

For some people, making a Wild Shaped Druid trigger skill checks (Perception, Insight, etc) is an unbearable and massive nerf. For others, limiting powers to only work within the encounter framework is equally unacceptable.

It's only when you assume one thing and still use the power in the way the other group might use it there becomes a problem.

So again, if you and your group doesn't have a problem with either the functionality or the duration of Wild Shape then everything's fine, and no restrictions are necessary.

But please don't complain Druids are overpowered. It's equally probably it's just you who are mixing assumptions of your own with the ones laid down by the game:

If you prefer "fool-proof" shapeshifting, don't allow it out of encounters.

If you prefer powers aren't limited by encounters, make shapeshifting "just another power" with no implied abilities to confound.

And if you allow both, don't complain it makes Druids powerful! :)

IMO, it should be approached like any potential houserule.

1) Identify the core problem. Be specific in identifying your concerns.

2) Try to use the least invasive solution to fix the problem(s). A "fix" that breaks more than it fixes is not a good fix. Neither is one that makes whatever you are trying to fix unappealing or uninteresting.

CapnZapp

Legend
Nearly worthless? Wild Shape in this case is an instant disguise! I doubt many DMs would allow a normally dressed halfling rogue to Bluff people into seeing him as a dog (I wouldn't). Wild Shape plus a successful Bluff check equals "just a harmless old hound". It simply isn't an automatic "I win" button for scouting encounters and the like. "Not an automatic I win" does not translate to "worthless" as far as I'm concerned.
I was probably unclear.

When I said "worthless" I mean from the point of view of the camp that believes Wild Shape turns you completely into an animal.

You can probably agree having to Bluff the Goblin into believing you're "just a harmless old hound" is worthless comparing to simply becoming a harmless old hound...? :)

IMO, it should be approached like any potential houserule.
Well, you're still not seeing my point.

My point is that there are this other camp of people who believe their view of Wild Shape isn't a houserule but a completely natural interpretation of the rules.

And in the same way you are unquestionlingly talking about "becoming the old dog" as a house-rule, they are equally shocked you could even suggest you only become someone that could Bluff others into believing you're a dog, when to them, you become the dog.

Not saying either camp is right.

What I am saying is there are two camps, and that the inability of each to even see that there is another camp is what's causing the confusion on the forums over questions like "why is the Druid so overpowered?" and "how can people even think the Druid to be overpowered?"

Cheers! :)

Fanaelialae

Legend
I was probably unclear.

No, you were clear. I think it was actually myself who was not as clear as I could have been. I am/was aware that you aren't/weren't associating yourself with a "camp", and a lot of my previous post (as well as this one) wasn't directed at you specifically, but rather at the views you mentioned.

When I said "worthless" I mean from the point of view of the camp that believes Wild Shape turns you completely into an animal.

You can probably agree having to Bluff the Goblin into believing you're "just a harmless old hound" is worthless comparing to simply becoming a harmless old hound...? :)

Actually, I completely disagree. Don't get me wrong, I've met players like this before.

Them- "Jeez, this RPG doesn't automatically kill the enemy? What a piece of junk!"
Me- "Ummm... it does five times the damage of the best gun, as an aoe no less... how the heck do you conclude it's a piece of junk?"
Them- "Well in the real world if you get hit with a rocket propelled grenade you're dead..."
Me- "You're aware that this is a game, right?"

I just can't fathom the thought process that if something isn't auto-win then it's worthless. I can understand the viewpoint that it isn't as good as an auto-win, but worthless? Really? I guess I just can't see how having an insta-disguise up your sleeve anytime you need it can be construed by anyone as worthless.

Honestly, I can understand where the other camp is coming from because we used to play that way in 3.x. 4e, however, is a very different game and as we've seen time and time again on these forums, if you can't adapt your assumptions to the new dynamic then you are not going to get on well with the new edition. That isn't to say that people who like the dynamic of 3.x are badwrongfun or any such thing. It is, however, different.

Well, you're still not seeing my point.

My point is that there are this other camp of people who believe their view of Wild Shape isn't a houserule but a completely natural interpretation of the rules.

And in the same way you are unquestionlingly talking about "becoming the old dog" as a house-rule, they are equally shocked you could even suggest you only become someone that could Bluff others into believing you're a dog, when to them, you become the dog.

Not saying either camp is right.

What I am saying is there are two camps, and that the inability of each to even see that there is another camp is what's causing the confusion on the forums over questions like "why is the Druid so overpowered?" and "how can people even think the Druid to be overpowered?"

Cheers! :)

Believe it or not, I do understand that. However, the OP was attempting to house rule a fix to Wild Shape by delaying it's acquistion until 11th level.

Meaning no offense to the OP, but I consider that a bad fix because it removes what makes the druid a dynamic class from levels 1-10 (which IMO will make the class boring to play for those levels). Come 11th level the druid gains Wild Shape and, assuming Wild Shape was to be this druid's intended focus, now has to begin the tedious task of retraining the last 10 levels of powers. Essentially, this druid will be epic level before he can play the class according to his original character concept. I have to ask how that could be beneficial to the game?

"Auto-win" Wild Shape is still going to be a problem come level 11 because 4e has pretty much killed the "auto-win" concept, and bringing it back in this case is not going to help the game's balance any (does the druid only marginalizing the Rogue's scouting role after 10th level makes it so much better?).

I still hold that this "camp" is better served by making Wild Shape appear lycanthropic in nature. It doesn't mess with the class balance at all, but eliminates the abuse of "auto-win" Wild Shape scouting and the like.

Limiting it to combat is technically possible, but it's kind of a weird mechanic (why is Wild Shape only usable in combat?) and it eliminates some of the interesting non-combat utility powers (Skittering Sneak).

I don't see how limiting Wild Shape to a 5 minute duration would help at all. It's an at-will power. What's to keep a druid from hiding before he reaches the 5 minute mark, then shifting out and shifting back in? Sure it's a bit cheesy, but what do you expect if you grant a power with unlimited uses that lasts 5 minutes? All you've done is replaced a periodic Bluff check to "avoid suspicion" with a periodic Stealth check to "reapply auto-win cheese".

Hence, why I responded with the house rule creation guidelines as I did. I saw your point. The other camp can run their Wild Shape however they want; it's their game. However, I felt it important to point out that the OP's proposed house rule would not fix the perceived problem; it would only delay it and creates additional problems as well.

Last edited:

Remove ads