• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The New News Digest Page.

Nellisir

Hero
I really like the new frontpage. In the "Player's Handbook" view, however, the scoopers show up in red, which is a little distracting (the orange in the default view doesn't seem as bad). Can that be changed?

Thanks
Nell.

haiiro

First Post
More or less on topic, there's one thing that's never quite worked for me on the front page: keeping the poll box closed. All of the others stay open/closed, however I set them, but every time a new poll appears that one pops open.

This was true on the old news page as well, and in both IE 6 and FireFox 0.9.3. Any idea why this is?

Michael Morris

First Post
haiiro said:
More or less on topic, there's one thing that's never quite worked for me on the front page: keeping the poll box closed. All of the others stay open/closed, however I set them, but every time a new poll appears that one pops open.

This was true on the old news page as well, and in both IE 6 and FireFox 0.9.3. Any idea why this is?

Each poll has a different object code for the others, ensuring that even if you closed the old polls, new ones still display. That isn't a bug, it's intentional.

haiiro

First Post
Spoony Bard said:
Each poll has a different object code for the others, ensuring that even if you closed the old polls, new ones still display. That isn't a bug, it's intentional.

OK, I can live with that -- but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, no disrespect intended.

If I've decided that I don't want to know the day's sci-fi news, it's because I'm not interested in sci-fi news -- I don't need that box, and closed is how it stays.

With the poll, if I've decided I'm not interested in seeing polls with my news, it's coded to interpret that as me not wanting to see a particular poll (which isn't the case). To me, it seems like the poll is an option like any other -- on or off is dandy.

Seriously, this is no big thing. If you'd said "That isn't a bug" and nothing else, I would have left it alone. But seeing that there's an underlying reason why it's intentional makes me want to poke at it, because I don't get it.

At the end of the day, this site rocks on toast. Put ten polls on the front page, I'll still read and enjoy it. I'm just saying. ;)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
RavenProject said:
Isn't the motivation to help the best D20 site remain the best one?

Ah, you want to depend on pure, unadulterated altruism for the scoops?

Even the altruistic like a nod of recognition. Otherwise, they get the feeling that they're being taken for granted. And they would be. Why should you resist giving credit where credit is due?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
cybertalus said:
I see the scoop credits are gone again already.
Well, most of them were the newshounds, and it seems a bit silly crediting them for each individual scoop when it's easier to just remember the fantastic job they do constantly. Some of the others are publishers hawking their wares -- and that doesn't really deserve a scoop credit. Nobody has ever got credit for scooping their own scoops. The remainder - scoops from the community - can easily be credited manually as and when they are needed.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Morrus said:
Well, most of them were the newshounds, and it seems a bit silly crediting them for each individual scoop when it's easier to just remember the fantastic job they do constantly.

It does get quite annoying (IMO) on gamingreport to see Damon White's name next to almost EVERY news item there.

I mean, we get it: Damon gets the scoops.

cybertalus

First Post
Morrus said:
Some of the others are publishers hawking their wares -- and that doesn't really deserve a scoop credit.
Actually having these labelled was my favorite thing about having scoop credits again. I was curious to find out who was frequently tooting their own horn.

Remove ads